Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:07 PM

Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...pic=16280&st=0
Old 05-14-2005, 11:58 PM

Re: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

Yeah, I saw him say that earlier on GMI. As a poster there pointed out, Buickman is a person with some good ideas, but is to aggressive to get the managers to listen. Apparently, when he met with LaNeve, LaNeve felt threatened and told Buickman a couple of days later that GM would not be bringing him into the fold.
LaNeve wrote in an e-mail that he thought Buickman would try and make his job more difficult, and that his marketing team would not understand bringing someone new on. In other words, the guy might now play well with others.

Here's the thread:
http://forums.gminsidenews.com/showt...1&page=2&pp=20

Last edited by dav305z; 05-15-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:02 AM

.....who?
Old 05-15-2005, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Meccadeth
.....who?
He's this Buick salesman with a plan to "save" GM. He's also a stock holder.

Here's his site:

www.generalwatch.com
Old 05-15-2005, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dav305z
He's this Buick salesman with a plan to "save" GM. He's also a stock holder.
I dunno, I mean, we all know what a bad rep car salesmen get...often deserved...most don't have a clue about the product they're trying to sell to Joe Schmoe, how did he come up with a "foolproof" plan to bring GM back to its glory days?
Old 05-15-2005, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
I dunno, I mean, we all know what a bad rep car salesmen get...often deserved...most don't have a clue about the product they're trying to sell to Joe Schmoe, how did he come up with a "foolproof" plan to bring GM back to its glory days?
I think he is going to have himself cloned and all the clones will do the selling. If he can sell mid 90s Buicks enough to be the number one seller multiple years he MUST be good.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
I think he is going to have himself cloned and all the clones will do the selling. If he can sell mid 90s Buicks enough to be the number one seller multiple years he MUST be good.
Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an awesome salesman....but that doesn't mean much when you have to take into account all the things the CEO of a corporation the size of GM must deal with. Ok so maybe he has a great plan to market and sell cars...what are his ideas about the UAW/Health Care crisis? Can he "sell" the UAW on a plan to reduce their benefits? Good luck. How about the pensions? How will he deal with the suppliers?

There's some great salesmen out there. They work hard, are actually knowledgeable about the products they're given to sell, and they treat their customers with respect. Yes, some generally care about more than just their next commission. That's awesome. But how it qualifies you to run a multi-billion dollar company? Maybe I'm not making the connection. But hey, if his ideas really do work, more power to him!
Old 05-15-2005, 01:40 PM

I'll look to dive into his plan when I get the chance to interview him. Could be interesting. I'm certainly interested in hearing what he has to say.

Hell, he's spoken at the last few stockholder meetings, and will speak at this one in Wilmington. He's spoken with Kerkorian's aide and has also had a very recent meeting with LaNeve. He's doing something right.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:04 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Hmmmmm...interesting.

Am interested in reading more........

....but I guess I'm somewhat skeptical......seems everyone knows how to solve GM's problems.......

As to being a top salesperson for Buick....(and this is not meant as a flame)....I'd like to see what happens when he tries to sell in, oh, say, Philadelphia.........anywhere but Michigan.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Don't get me wrong, he's obviously an awesome salesman....but that doesn't mean much when you have to take into account all the things the CEO of a corporation the size of GM must deal with. Ok so maybe he has a great plan to market and sell cars...what are his ideas about the UAW/Health Care crisis? Can he "sell" the UAW on a plan to reduce their benefits? Good luck. How about the pensions? How will he deal with the suppliers?

There's some great salesmen out there. They work hard, are actually knowledgeable about the products they're given to sell, and they treat their customers with respect. Yes, some generally care about more than just their next commission. That's awesome. But how it qualifies you to run a multi-billion dollar company? Maybe I'm not making the connection. But hey, if his ideas really do work, more power to him!
I'm trying to figure out what's worse, this guy's blatherings or the fact that GM management met with him.

BTW - Orion DID NOT invent "doors on" assembly processing. It's been around forever.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
Hmmmmm...interesting.

Am interested in reading more........

....but I guess I'm somewhat skeptical......seems everyone knows how to solve GM's problems.......

As to being a top salesperson for Buick....(and this is not meant as a flame)....I'd like to see what happens when he tries to sell in, oh, say, Philadelphia.........anywhere but Michigan.
Specifically, Flint Michigan....

Formerly known as "Buick City".
Old 05-15-2005, 02:15 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Bingo, PacerX!!!

(8.7 for the thought......)

Selling Buicks in southern michigan is like shooting fish in a barrel............
Old 05-15-2005, 02:23 PM

I don't know how sincere Buickman's motivations are....or are not. But it seems to this shareholder that the Board and Wagoner are unable to make the decisions necessary for GM to survive/thrive....without pressure from some sort of shareholder revolt.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
Bingo, PacerX!!!

(8.7 for the thought......)

Selling Buicks in southern michigan is like shooting fish in a barrel............
Anyhoo...

Saw the presentation that was on the site and there's literally nothing there.

To sum it up:

"Market Betterer"

Erm... great... thanks... errr...
Well, sorry there Jim, but that's not quite the only thing to worry about.

Now, can the marketing improve? I believe it can, but GM is not going to "market" their way to greater market share by relying on the sales force. See, to market properly you have to have something to sell...

... and having the proper thing to sell has always been the issue.

So, I might suggest that Jim there broadens his view a little bit.

Sales, manufacturing, engineering, and program management must be integrated into a single vision, and the marketing end of the spectrum is only part of the equation. If you focus only on that part of the equation, you'll never be successful.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:51 PM

Yeah, Buickman will email the first 20 steps of his recovery plan to anyone who requests them...but won't post them publicly, so they don't fall into competitor's hands......ummmm...ok.

At any rate, the shareholder's meeting at Wilmington should be very interesting. Too bad I can't make it in person....but my ballot is in the mail.

Quick Reply: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.