Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Banned

Re: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

Discgolf and Meccadeth,
Oh Ye of little faith! How quickly you criticize something you've not seen. email me Buickman@GeneralWatch.com and I'll send the first twenty steps, and then make your opinions known. If you can find a better plan, recommend it. Til then, learn to appreciate someone who is doing their best to make a difference. What brilliant ideas do you have? Criticism is one thing, constructive criticism another.
Buickman

Last edited by Buickman; 05-15-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
If his plan is so great....why not sell it to the competiton?

I am sure that would be easier than trying to oust the CEO of the biggest automaker in the world.

Wait a minute, why would a competitor buy a plan to save GM?

I am sure he has great idea's, but honestly I have seen many people post a lot of great ideas.

The problem is to see the whole picture, and the breadth of problems, you have to be more than a weekend keyboard jockey, or even a car salesman. While his solutions may seem fine to me or some other non industry person, there can be 15 reasons each won't work when you present it to someone at GM who actually knows what is going on.

Anyway, I will be watching the stockholder meeting to see how this plays. The fact he has already gotten a meeting has me thinking..
And just because it's a NEW idea doesn't mean its a GOOD idea. I'm curious to see what the insiders here have to say about the plan, as they are far more capable to judge its worthiness than most of the people who've seen it so far. Even the Autoweek writer is just a journalist.

Also, I'm worried that people will listen to him because they're desperate and not actually think about whether or not it will work. I really don't think GM needs a shareholder revolt right now. True, the executives have had too much job security, but crucifying them will not help either, only creating chaos and distrust in the company IMO.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Branden and Josh, continue the bickering somewhere else besides here please.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Buickman
Discgolf and Meccadeth,
Oh Ye of little faith! How quickly you criticize something you've not seen. email me Buickman@GeneralWatch.com and I'll send the first twenty steps, and then make your opinions known. If you can find a better plan, recommend it. Til then, learn to appreciate someone who is doing their best to make a difference. What brilliant ideas do you have? Criticism is one thing, constructive criticism another.
Buickman

Dude, I have lots of ideas too, but at least I'm man enough to admit even though I could list 1000 ideas, there is STILL things I can't think of that prevent some of them from even being feasible. Until you prove you have some kind of manufacturing, engineering, finance, legal, marketing, (the list goes on) MANAGEMENT skills, don't try and tell us to have the key to ending world hunger.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:54 PM

I will say this. I've looked at Buickmans figures on what he has done since he's come onto dealerships and the #'s after he's made a difference a HUGE. He has the #'s to back up his claims. Others don't. That's why he's talked to LaNeve.

That's why we continue to punch our keyboards.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:55 PM

Discgolf and Meccadeth,
Buickman
why can't you post them?

Old 05-15-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Dude back at ya!
Must I repeat? Have you even seen The Plan? With your consistently unfounded criticism, how can you be taken seriously? Judge The Plan, not me.
Buickman
Old 05-15-2005, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Josh452
I will say this. I've looked at Buickmans figures on what he has done since he's come onto dealerships and the #'s after he's made a difference a HUGE. He has the #'s to back up his claims. Others don't. That's why he's talked to LaNeve.

That's why we continue to punch our keyboards.

Exactly. He's talked to LaNeve beacause he's a sales leader, and LaNeve is in Sales. 1+1=2. If I was in charge of Sales, I'd like to talk to the guy who is sales leader. I highly doubt LaNeve said "Hmmm, who can I talke to about turning around GM so I can report back to Rick? Ah, Buickman..." No way.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Banned

Number77,
By limiting the release of only the first twenty steps and only to who I choose to email it to, I can have some control over who gets their hands on the info. Makes sense? Send me your email, and I'll forward to you. One other thing, I've noticed a lot of testosterone on this blog. I personally am not easily offended, hey I'm a car guy, used to dealing with diificulties. But aren't we united in a common purpose here, to see GM win? Let's stay focused on the issues and realize we share a passion for this fantastic corporation. GM needs our help. Let's fight the competition, not each other.
Buickman
Buickman@GeneralWatch.com
Old 05-15-2005, 10:04 PM

Buickman was the leader in sales years ago. Not recently. He also has not spoken at the shareholders meeting due to sales either. He's spoken because of "The Plan" and nothing more.

I find it interesting that he's had an interview with a high profile worker with GMNA about "The Plan" yet nothing was said by GM.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:15 PM
Banned

News Flash!!!!
Selling more cars WILL turn GM around.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:19 PM

Although I appreciate the enthusiasm that Buickman and the others are putting into this thread, I am still very much so a doubter.

Alright Buickman, you've sold a lot of FWD, geritol-fuled grandma haulers. You've made your point very clear and that's nice. You get a gold star and a cookie. Although sales are something that GM definitely needs, I do not however think you have the credentials or the knowledge to know how to fix the problems GM faces outside of sales. Nowm I don't want to hear about you wanting me to email you so I can get a copy of your magical 20 points that will somehow fix GM, cure cancer, help with the second coming, trap mice better, and toast bread more evenly. What I want to ask you is what experience do YOU have to know how solve the following problems:

1) GM's pension obligations
2) GM's health care obligations
3) UAW contracts
4) GM's junk bond status

I was to hear about your experience with corporate finance (at least an MBA level experience and knowledge), your experience with large negotiations (previous experience negotiating at least $10 million preferred), knowledge of the inner workings of health care and pensions (actuarial science knowledge and hedge fund experience preferred on large assets), and also your experience with investment banks (previous experience with an investment bank underwriting different grades of bonds would be preferred). Now I don't doubt that you might have some of this experience, you for all I know could be Superman with three PhD's. MORE LIKELY than not, you just know how to sell cars really well. These other issues I think are just as important than knowing how to market a car. These issues could cripple GM and if you're going to make recommendations on how to fix the whole company, you need to speak for these issues even moreso than just sales (by the way, with strong Japanese competition I personally believe a 33% marketshare on your website is very unreasonable).

So Buickman, tell me how you're qualified to know how to fix these issues. I DON'T want to read your 20 points unless I know you're educated and experienced enough to know what you're talking about.

I could make suggestions, but it doesn't mean I'm informed enough to know all the dynamics of what's going on. I'm pretty sure there's way more going on behind the scenes than all of us here could ever know. They don't hire PhD's and 25 year experience consultants for nothing you know.
Old 05-15-2005, 10:21 PM

Number77,
By limiting the release of only the first twenty steps and only to who I choose to email it to, I can have some control over who gets their hands on the info. Makes sense? Send me your email, and I'll forward to you. One other thing, I've noticed a lot of testosterone on this blog. I personally am not easily offended, hey I'm a car guy, used to dealing with diificulties. But aren't we united in a common purpose here, to see GM win? Let's stay focused on the issues and realize we share a passion for this fantastic corporation. GM needs our help. Let's fight the competition, not each other.
Buickman
Buickman@GeneralWatch.com
look at the title of this website...we (us cz28.com members) just have some tension about getting a 5th generation Camaro (whether we admit it or not).
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

Ah A Challenge From Someone Who Thinks They Know It All,
If you're not willing to read the points and just want to spout off, do it somewhere else. I can and will answer your questions, but first have some respect and see what it is I'm talking about.
Buickman
Old 05-15-2005, 10:31 PM

Hold on there Buickman, I never claimed to know all. I just wanted to hear your qualifications first. One person can't know all, it's human nature. If I knew all, GM would have me in some thinktank somewhere creating solutions to their problems. I don't claim to have the solutions and since I do not posess the knowledge of so many vast fields required to think of solutions, I'm not going to attempt to create a 20 point list.

Anyways, I asked to hear your qualifications. If I have to read your 20 points before I can get an answer to my questions, then send them to me: dcheesem@ucsd.edu

Last edited by Burmite; 05-15-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.