Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Alpha, Alpha + and Beta...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
I wonder how much room the 6th gen will have in the engine bay. Hopefully more than the 4th gen.
That will likely depend on a couple of things: which engine you see when you pop the hood since 4, 6 and 8's have their own unique footprint, how much plastic cladding/sound deadening/engine cover they put in to cover the engines and also where the base of the windshield is relative to the back of the engine (or front in the case of fourth gen cars). If alpha has indeed been package protected for all three popular engine types I can envision a V8 that looks pretty tightly packed into the bay.

I suppose if forced induction is used as a standard configuration on the four and six motors than they will take up more of the space that the V8 occupies, so the bays won't look so empty as may have happened in the past.

For me,thinking back, nothing looked more ridiculous for me than popping the hood on a third gen and seeing the 2.8l engine, it looked like there was enough room for another engine in there, but the 5.0l or 5.7l small block looked quite at home. I can't recall personally seeing a 2.5l four banger under a Camaro hood, but I'm sure it was a sight to behold.

Last edited by SharpShooter_SS; 03-29-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:42 PM

I was speaking specifically for the V8. I'm thinking that it will be pretty tight for a 90 degree V8. I'm not sure how comparable a turbo 60 degree V6 is to a Gen V physically.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:27 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
For me,thinking back, nothing looked more ridiculous for me than popping the hood on a third gen and seeing the 2.8l engine, it looked like there was enough room for another engine in there, but the 5.0l or 5.7l small block looked quite at home. I can't recall personally seeing a 2.5l four banger under a Camaro hood, but I'm sure it was a sight to behold.
It makes you wonder if the 3rd gen was package protected for the big block...
Old 03-29-2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
It makes you wonder if the 3rd gen was package protected for the big block...
I am pretty sure it was package protected for the Pontiac v8 which many mistakenly refer to as a big block.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by cjwilson99
I am pretty sure it was package protected for the Pontiac v8 which many mistakenly refer to as a big block.
I call it the Pontiac block (usually). Did the 326 and 455 have the same deck height and other external dimensions?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
There's a discussion on GMI about Peter DeLorenzo on Autoline ... apparently he saw an Alpha car, which he described as "very nice" and there was some speculation about the weight being 3450 lbs... though it's a bit hard to believe all the hype... then there are also the conflicting arguments...
DeLorenzo mentioned the RWD Impala on Autoline Afterhours... would that be Beta or Alpha + ?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:07 PM

DeLorenzo mentioned the RWD Impala on Autoline Afterhours... would that be Beta or Alpha + ?
Confusion? If an EPII Impala is a couple of years away, when would we see an Alpha or Beta model?

I feel safe in saying even GM does not have an answer yet.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 AM

No word on Alpha or Zeta... according to the OP.

Actually, it seems that there is a lot of confusion about Impala...

nsap (with good inside contacts... on GMI) is adamant Impala will be FWD. Others are simply hanging to comments from PDL on the show during a point where, he, himself was confused during the moment...

Here's the link anyway: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ill-rwd-90460/
Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
It would have IRS, which does add about 100 pounds.

Mustang itself was nearly from scratch.

Yes, I can imagine it, and I don't think heads would roll. I think you're still underestimating what it takes to package a powerful V8 with requisite equipment for stopping, durability, and safety requirements.

Maybe it can come in at 3550 or 3600. Everyone else with a similar layout is weigh() above that number, and that is not from lack of effort.

If they can make a V8 work at 3550, then I think they should be able to make a V6 work at 3250-3300, which would also undercut everyone else.
100 pounds is just such an arbitrary number. 100 pounds comparing what to what? Like 90 Z28SS said, don't blameall of this on it's IRS.

And yes - I DO believe heads would roll >>big time<< if after spending hundreds of millions of dollars ($1 billion????), and what amounts to over half of a decade of development (off and on), on a lightweight architecture, and then miserably failing to deliver. Heads rolling? More than that. It would be a blood bath.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by SharpShooter_SS
The Iron duke.

The 2.8L
Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 AM

I call it the Pontiac block (usually). Did the 326 and 455 have the same deck height and other external dimensions?
I believe the answer is yes. As far as I know the 301 is the only one with a shorter deck height. But the 400 and 455 did have different journal sizes.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
The Iron duke.
The 2.8L
Nice.... IIRC, from some angles you could see a whole lot of ground from certain angles when looking at the 2.8... lots of room for modding:-). A plus for collisions, you could crumple the entire front end almost to the strut towers before hitting the engine. From these pics, the 2.5 looks to take up a bit more room.... well except for the dinky little air cleaner.

Last edited by SharpShooter_SS; 03-30-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
As long as that little pony car for Chevy can fit a Gen V V8 between the fenders then we are all good!
What he said.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
100 pounds is just such an arbitrary number. 100 pounds comparing what to what? Like 90 Z28SS said, don't blameall of this on it's IRS.
And I replied that I did not. 100 pounds compared to a decent SRA. That leaves another 150 pounds of overweight. Was the context really not clear?

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And yes - I DO believe heads would roll >>big time<< if after spending hundreds of millions of dollars ($1 billion????), and what amounts to over half of a decade of development (off and on), on a lightweight architecture, and then miserably failing to deliver. Heads rolling? More than that. It would be a blood bath.
I've read the posts on MT and on gminsidenews, and you're the only one to italicize lightweight. I've not read anywhere that it will use unusual materials (like an all-aluminum body, etc.) to be especially lighter than the competition. So I figure they're aiming for competitive.

The 2011 Mustang GT weighs 3603 pounds, base. I don't think it has a lot of fat. Add IRS, another 50hp and tq, a few more years of regulations, and 3700 seems a very reasonable number. Maybe they'll beat it and hit 3600. That'd be great. But I'm going to at least wait for credible rumors before I start getting excited over a featherweight V8 Camaro.

I seem to recall you saying years ago that the current one wouldn't be 3800 either (that was my early estimate). I don't think anyone's been fired over that.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 PM

I've read the posts on MT and on gminsidenews, and you're the only one to italicize lightweight. I've not read anywhere that it will use unusual materials (like an all-aluminum body, etc.) to be especially lighter than the competition. So I figure they're aiming for competitive.
All depends on who your listing too I suppose . Listen to Ruess talk about where the going with body structures , various lightweight materials ect. and higher volume use of carbon fiber in a more cost efficient way and you'd know they get the weight thing .

Quick Reply: Alpha, Alpha + and Beta...