Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

AL, KY, IN, MS Governors are crying out for Toyota

Old 02-12-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
Japan didn't kill our manufacturing and industrial base. China did.
Actually, before we opened up trade with China (early 90's, Clinton administration), Japan had already taken a lot of the manufacturing jobs. As far back as can I remember (1960's), a lot of everyday things said "made in Japan" on them which wasn't an endearing statement at all. When trade opened up with China, their labor was much cheaper than Japan's and they took over building all of the junk we buy. Japan's economy suffered around that time too. It's just a matter of time before China's high value products like cars get to be world class. When that happens, they'll start exporting them here and big bad Toyota is going to start feeling like poor old General Motors.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by 25thTA
You mean about as much conflict of interest as governors with Toyota plants in their states?
The states have a vested interest in any company that employees their citizens. No doubt about that - it is in THEIR INTEREST for Toyota to do well. Got it. However, the state politicians in question here do not have a controlling interest in Toyota, such as the Federal Gov't does with GM. The Federal Gov't then investigates the biggest competitor to GM - Toyota. That then becomes a conflict of interest, not just a 'vested interest'.

Perhaps you can't see the difference?

And no, I'm not defending them nor Toyota. This situation is simply one of those unintended consequences of the Federal Gov't stepping in and essentially buying a large US company.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
No I'm not saying its a conspiracy. Did you read what I wrote, or what you wanted to read?

My concern....again....is that with the government owning a large portion of GM and Chrysler (whether they are actually running anything or not), the potential for conflict of interest, or appearance of conflict of interest (and perception is reality in the eyes of the perceiver) is a valid point.

IMHO, if the situation were reversed, some of ya'll would be crying bloody murder at whatever gov't (which owned a majority stake in one or more of that countries car makers) was handling a hypothetical safety-related recall of American-made cars in whatever country it was in. Or course, that is easy to deny, as it isn't happening, but I digress.

Disagree if you wish. I'm fine with that.

Bob
Bob, was this a pun? I don't believe humble is in your vocabulary.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:38 AM

What does humble have to do with anything? IMHO = In My Holy Opinion. Right?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 AM

Excellent
Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 AM

You've had some good ones over the years, but personally I think this is one of your best. You truly are gifted at sarcasm.

Tip of the cap to you...