Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2010 Mustang 5.0 Specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:02 AM

I could care less about factory ratings, they are stupid anyhow (unless you just stay stock). I care about potential of the motor.

LS1 only needed a cam to be pushing 415rwhp (~480fwhp).

LS3 should be able to hit 550fwhp CAM ONLY.

What can this 5.0L do with some minor mods (i consider cam minor) is the question to me...

All other arguements aside, I tend to prefer more displacement; which allows you to use a smaller cam to reach equal horspower; which also corresponds to more low end torque which makes the car feel more fun to your average person.

3rd gen L98 motors had a ****ty 245hp, but it felt like it had a lot more then that with those long runners/TPI. Made it a blast to drive. (Although mid 14s, maybe low if you where lucky in the 1/4)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by teal98
In spite of the lack of IRS? Three years ago you were insisting on that, equating not having it to square wheels (jokingly I'm sure).

So I'm curious as to why you'd agree with the adjective "incredible"?
Oh yes, I still prefer and see the benefits of IRS.

But I'm comparing this total package relative what we're getting with the Camaro.

One will be more ponycar like, the other will nearly pack the mass of the 2009 DTS I've recently been driving.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=637793
Old 09-26-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Oh yes, I still prefer and see the benefits of IRS.

But I'm comparing this total package relative what we're getting with the Camaro.

One will be more ponycar like, the other will nearly pack the mass of the 2009 DTS I've recently been driving.
https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=637793
I drove a 1998 DeVille when my '98 was in getting some after sale service. I wasn't a fan. Of course, they've made some changes in the last 11 years....

So does that mean you'd give up IRS if 250 pounds or so went away with it? I had the impression that a solid axle was a non-starter for you, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

[Note that I'm not saying that IRS weighs 250 pounds]
Old 09-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
LS3 should be able to hit 550fwhp CAM ONLY.
Cam, Intake, Tune & Header's only - if your refering to the CC article

Originally Posted by Chrome383Z
What can this 5.0L do with some minor mods (i consider cam minor) is the question to me...)
The current 5.0 has eclipsed the 500hp mark, but I couldn't tell you whats invovled (although admittedly it was no cam swap) excpet perhaps more RPM

We'll just have to see when people start getting there hands on the motor.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
The LSx motors are way more amazing in stock to slightly modified trim than the mods. The LS1 cars dating back as far as 97-98 with just bolt-ons and a cam are making 400 RWHP find a mod car that can do that.
Due to my leet interweb hacker skillz I was able to divulge the LSx's secret to success
Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 PM

I drove a 1998 DeVille when my '98 was in getting some after sale service. I wasn't a fan. Of course, they've made some changes in the last 11 years....

So does that mean you'd give up IRS if 250 pounds or so went away with it? I had the impression that a solid axle was a non-starter for you, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

[Note that I'm not saying that IRS weighs 250 pounds]
What I'm saying, without getting myself in trouble on this site, is.....

Now I've seen the production intent Camaro. I've sat in it, touched it, know all of it's specs, seen in it motion, have been eyelevel with it's door handles while sitting in my '83 Z/28, (as I was getting on the racetrack and the IVER car and yellow car were getting off). And YES, I do appreciate the effort which the Camaro Team put forth on it. I think they did their best.

I also know all the specs of the current Mustang, have driven it and examined it, and have seen the spy photos of the freshened Mustang and the appeal to me of another 100 hp for it. The 2011 Mustang seems like a very compelling package to me.

So, while I am a big proponent of IRS, IRS alone cannot make me overlook ALL other shortcomings.

That's all I've got to say about that.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-26-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 PM

Charlie, not trying to blast you at all here (thirdgen guys stick together). I'm curious as to how you appeared upset with the GTOs weight at 3750, but a 3600 lbs Mustang is appealing -- assuming it ends up with 400 hp in 2011 (we're all forgetting about the white elephant in the room: CAFE).

Or are you happier about where the weight is on the Mustang?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Charlie, not trying to blast you at all here (thirdgen guys stick together). I'm curious as to how you appeared upset with the GTOs weight at 3750, but a 3600 lbs Mustang is appealing -- assuming it ends up with 400 hp in 2011 (we're all forgetting about the white elephant in the room: CAFE).

Or are you happier about where the weight is on the Mustang?
While I thought that 3750 was abit porky in 2004, that was never my biggest issue with purchasing one. I also never considered the GTO a 'ponycar" either nor held it to that standard.

Of course, we've got a whole new reference point now.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-26-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:10 PM

have been eyelevel with it's door handles while sitting in my '83 Z/28, (as I was getting on the racetrack and the IVER car and yellow car were getting off)
Is your car lowered?
Old 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM

What I'm saying, without getting myself in trouble on this site, is.....

Now I've seen the production intent Camaro. I've sat in it, touched it, know all of it's specs, seen in it motion, have been eyelevel with it's door handles while sitting in my '83 Z/28, (as I was getting on the racetrack and the IVER car and yellow car were getting off). And YES, I do appreciate the effort which the Camaro Team put forth on it. I think they did their best.

I also know all the specs of the current Mustang, have driven it and examined it, and have seen the spy photos of the freshened Mustang and the appeal to me of another 100 hp for it. The 2011 Mustang seems like a very compelling package to me.

So, while I am a big proponent of IRS, IRS alone cannot make me overlook ALL other shortcomings.

That's all I've got to say about that.
Well youre certainly entitled to do what you want with your money. Im sure the Mustang will be a great car for you. I kinda wonder if ford brought down the size of the Mustang to a 3 series. If they did its to their credit, however Charlie, I think if Ford adds IRS then they will also add weight. I perfer the IRS. It will be interesting. The competition is benefiting everyone!

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:27 PM

Always kind of seen the Mod motors as Definite under achievers.They can make power, but Physically larger packaging, low displacement, really not a large aftermarket following for the mod motors either. If anyone really doubts what the better motor is, LSx or Mod motor; Lets just say you don't see mod motors getting put in F bodies...
Old 09-26-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Well youre certainly entitled to do what you want with your money. Im sure the Mustang will be a great car for you. I kinda wonder if ford brought down the size of the Mustang to a 3 series. If they did its to their credit, however Charlie, I think if Ford adds IRS then they will also add weight. I perfer the IRS. It will be interesting. The competition is benefiting everyone!
Oh, I'm not saying I'm buying a Mustang either, but 400 hp in a 3500-3600 lbs package is appealing.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM

Is your car lowered?
Maybe by less than an inch if that really matters.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:21 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by Anomaly
Always kind of seen the Mod motors as Definite under achievers.They can make power, but Physically larger packaging, low displacement, really not a large aftermarket following for the mod motors either. If anyone really doubts what the better motor is, LSx or Mod motor; Lets just say you don't see mod motors getting put in F bodies...
there is a very good aftermarket for each engine

Your last sentence explains things VERY WELL.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by super83Z
The mod motor to me is just an overcomplicated under achieveing POS. Ford should have improved on the original SBF like Chevy did. The old 5.0 was a great motor and lots of Ford guys I know don't touch anything ford after 93. I know your going to tell me that 5.0 is less than 6.0 but regardless they just caught up to the power level of the LS2 from 2005. The LSx motors are way more amazing in stock to slightly modified trim than the mods. The LS1 cars dating back as far as 97-98 with just bolt-ons and a cam are making 400 RWHP find a mod car that can do that.
This whole notion that Ford is just NOW catching up to GM in hp/tq is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure Ford was making Ls2/s3 power with a mod motor before the Ls2/Ls3's even came out...that motor was the S/c'd 4.6's back in late 02 and early 03. I don't know why some of you pretend or talk as if that motor never existed. And you're talking about motors that were amazing in stock to slightly modified...now the boosted mod motors are some of the easiest, strongest, and most potent factory v8's to mod.

I already know what's coming..."but but it's s/c'd, no fair". So what? Who said a motor had to be N/A?

The N/A mod motors aren't all that impressive but fulfill their purpose as base engines and base entry-level performance engines. I know it's easy to latch on to Ford's base v8 offering and use that in a comparo as if its the only mod motor in existence, but the reality is that Ford offers other mod motors in the Mustang and they've not only surpassed Ls3 levels, but have approached Ls7/LSA levels (GT500's 500hp, and GT500KR's 540hp).

Anyways, the next couple of years should be interesting. Looking forward to cross-shopping both camaro and mustang come 2011 .

Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang 5.0 Specs