Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Are F-Bodies good handlers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:29 PM

Are F-Bodies good handlers?

You all know how ricers make the claim that american muscle can't handle. Well, I was wondering is it true about F-bodies? With performance shocks and springs how would an F-body hold up in an autocross or solo event? Anyone have any experience they can throw in?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2005, 12:02 AM

Re: Are F-Bodies good handlers?

I have a complete edelbroch suspension setup with upper strut tower bar and my 95 Z28 handles like it's on rails . I've takin' off ramp turns at speeds close to 90mph without any rear sliding. so if you can, get yourself a suspension setup and you'll be happy you did.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:28 AM

thirdgens supposedly handle VERY VERY good. when they were stock, atleast.. so mod it and you can make it crazy, i believe.

4th gens handle less well, due to being higher and heavier..
Old 07-24-2005, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
thirdgens supposedly handle VERY VERY good. when they were stock, atleast.. so mod it and you can make it crazy, i believe.

4th gens handle less well, due to being higher and heavier..
higher and heavier? Are you sure?

The third and fourth gen f-bodies share the same basic underbody from the firewall back. Many parts will even swap. The rear suspension is nearly unchanged.

The front suspension of a fourth gen is far superior to the third gen. The third gen uses struts and the fourth gen uses a much better upper and lower A arm design.

Also, the fourth gen is not significantly heavier than the third gen. On top of that, the fourth gen chasis is 25% stiffer than the third gen which helps greatly in handling.

I'd take a fourth gen over a third gen any day. That is not to say the third gen cars are bad, it is just the natural progression of technology and inprovements over time.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:30 AM

I drove a buddys v6 mustang today and thought it handled way better than my Trans Am. Maybe i just need some new shocks?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:30 AM

My car has a stock suspension and it handles quite nicely.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by TABAHR
higher and heavier? Are you sure?

The third and fourth gen f-bodies share the same basic underbody from the firewall back. Many parts will even swap. The rear suspension is nearly unchanged.

The front suspension of a fourth gen is far superior to the third gen. The third gen uses struts and the fourth gen uses a much better upper and lower A arm design.

Also, the fourth gen is not significantly heavier than the third gen. On top of that, the fourth gen chasis is 25% stiffer than the third gen which helps greatly in handling.

I'd take a fourth gen over a third gen any day. That is not to say the third gen cars are bad, it is just the natural progression of technology and inprovements over time.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the roofline on the fourthgens is higher.. 4th gens have more overhang, sit higher (stock)

pretty sure thirdgens did better on skidpad, too or something like that.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by 1995greenTA
I drove a buddys v6 mustang today and thought it handled way better than my Trans Am. Maybe i just need some new shocks?
Probably. The stock ones have varied life expectancy based on your driving style, but most say they don't last very long. Mine are starting to feel a little "boatlike". Bigger swaybars can also help get rid of body roll. Of course, your friend with the stang has the weight advantage up front, so if they both have about the same suspension setup the stang will handle better.

As far as f-bodies not handling, well how is a nose heavy live-axle car supposed to handle? Considering the things it has to work against it does a pretty darn good job. There's a lot of people that seem to confuse handling with steering feel, which IMO are somewhat different. Just because you can twitch the steering wheel a quarter of an inch and make the car turn doesn't mean your car can do crap on the skidpad. Another reason the f-body has a bad name is because the stock jobs don't do a superb job of compromising between bumps and turns. You go over a bump and a filling comes loose, you turn and one side of the car seems ready to bottom out. Anyway, put some money into a 4th gen suspension and you'll blow your friends away with how well your heavy and "low tech" car handles.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce

Yeah, i'm pretty sure the roofline on the fourthgens is higher.. 4th gens have more overhang, sit higher (stock)

pretty sure thirdgens did better on skidpad, too or something like that.
from thirdgen.org...
SPEC SHEET '90 CAMARO IROC-Z
PERFORMANCE:
Power to Weight- 14.10 lbs./hp
0 to 60 mph- 6.2 seconds
Quarter-Mile- 14.77 @ 97.7 mph
Top Speed- 145 mph, est.
Skidpad- .87g

from Road & Track..
R&T says the Camaro SS does 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds, the quarter in 13.9 seconds at 105.5 mph, and pulls .87g on the skidpad.

They are pretty close. You might be correct that the 3rd gen roof line is a little lower, but I dont think the difference in handling is enough to say one car is noticably better.

Also, if you are going to use the Iroc as the base for the third gen car, you need to comapare it to an equally optioned fourth gen like an SS. The Iroc had an upgraded suspension similar to the SS.

I've owned a couple Irocs and a few 4th gen Z28s. I can tell you that my convertible with 17" tires and a shock tower brace feels every bit as good as any Iroc I ever had. If my car had the equivilant SS suspension package I'm sure it would be too close to call.

Any way you cut it, both generations handle exceptionally well.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 AM

I like the way mine handles (93 Z28), only things ive done were new urethane bushings, eibach pro-kit and kyb gas-adjust shocks. To me it was a night and day difference over the stock suspension. Dunno if it is actually a good handling car because ive never driven anything else so i have no basis for comparison.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:25 AM

Don't flame me but.......I don't think it will out handle a heavily modded older mini cooper... They'll literaly turn on a dime... Like a darn go cart...

I like to think my car handles nicely... Haven't really tested it..
Old 07-24-2005, 07:20 AM

Back to the original post. Ask your ricer buddies how many Civics they have seen dressed up like a cop car. Or an Eclipse. Go on with how many foreign cars you can think of. Then of course, ask him how many Camaros, Mustangs, Caprices, etc have they seen dressed up like cop cars. America wins out. WooHoo.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 AM

oh god i hope that was sarcastic
Old 07-24-2005, 08:29 AM

Yes they are great, unfortunately you have to spend a bit. With my setup I am amazed at how much my car can take in a high speed turn without breaking loose. When it does break, it's very predictable and easily corrected. Stock though these cars are mushy and sloppy.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrator

We actually have a forum for questions like this..... "Autocross and Roadracing....."

Let's move it there and see what kind of responses it gets.

Quick Reply: Are F-Bodies good handlers?