Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Best handling stock ride height set up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 01:17 PM

Firstly, I disagree that DA's are needed on the front, let alone a "must have". Compression damping is not the same as spring rate, further the Koni's adjsutable compression range is all mid to high piston speed. Meaning it's only useful over road imperfections, and it's only meant help.... NOT substitute as stiffer springs. More compression doesn't limit roll or dive, only slows it down. The basic mechanics of the suspension is still dictated by the springs/bars. The compression adjustment is there simply for this reason: Say you have springs you like on a track, but there is one dip or curbing that the car moves downward a little too much. A little extra compression "supports" the downward motion of the car and for that brief second could keep the car off the bumpstops. That's a DA's job vs. a SA. FWIW, notice that the idea is to support the car with a optimal spring, which is always as soft as workable. You obviously don't need a lot of bump with a really stiff spring....... Also, the bump range is many times smaller in range than the rebound range, because it take only a little to make a BIG change, and rebound it the essential key to the damper (bump is important, but let the experts mess with that).

I have DA's on my autox car, I NEVER use the bump adjuster, it simply makes the front end more prone to skittering across the surface. That's on a F-stock car with soft springs. It only gets worse with heavier springs.

If you want to run them, knock yourself out...... I'm just here telling you how a DA works and what it's for, and I wouldn't waste my money. However, I'm sure most people who sell shocks would happily put you on a set. And why not, they make more money (as I would) because they are more expensive, and they have no warranty hassles (because there isn't one). That's simply smart business. I, on the other hand, ain't always smart.... Just trying to be honest.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:01 AM

There is a local (and experienced) AutoX/Road/Open Road racer who runs singles in front, and doubles in back with coil overs. If singles were good enough for him in front (with 800# springs) they must not be that much of a compromise.

If he only has that setup by accident of good internet deals, I don't happen to know that.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:31 PM

FYI: The HAL 'drag' springs are rated "a little under 300#s" according to the tech at QA1. This makes it silly to replace them with the stock springs because there would be little improvement. I had thought these HAL springs were 'looser.'

However...

The brown truck man just showed up with some 600# beasts . I am throwing them on as we speak and should have a flavor of them soon.

I don't know very much about shocks/anything, but what keeps bringing me back to the HALS is that you can run a wider variety of springs to meet your needs and still get the ride height your want. Unless I'm wrong, you are limited to the 1LE/SLP stuff for a 'near-stock/stock' ride height. While this logic is probably offensive to the big dogs, my car is a street car (aka "a compromise") so I have to make due.

On the other hand...swapping out springs isn't like changing tires!

Ryan
Old 10-24-2002, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by 96-speed

I don't know very much about shocks/anything, but what keeps bringing me back to the HALS is that you can run a wider variety of springs to meet your needs and still get the ride height your want. Unless I'm wrong, you are limited to the 1LE/SLP stuff for a 'near-stock/stock' ride height. While this logic is probably offensive to the big dogs, my car is a street car (aka "a compromise") so I have to make due.
Well with a Ground control coilover kit + some Koni shocks you could have the same features with a better shock. Probably for about the same money too
Old 10-24-2002, 08:38 PM

Trust me. If you are after improved handling, and I think you are, get other shocks.
The Hals I am sure are OK for drag racing but you will be much happier with a Koni or Bilstein shock. And you can get a Ground Control kit and run spring rate of your choice at stock height. And with that set up you can change springs in less than five minutes. Once the assemblies are off the car.

Check out my first post.
Old 10-24-2002, 11:09 PM

Talking

Originally posted by Soma07
Well with a Ground control coilover kit + some Koni shocks you could have the same features with a better shock. Probably for about the same money too
Ryan =

Forgot about the GC kit!
Old 10-25-2002, 10:05 AM

Well, I'm learning a lot here. Sam seems to make a lot of sense, and I will be calling him when I get around to it in a couple of days. I must say that I noticed a big improvement in stability and turn in when I switched to Eibach "Pro" springs, even with stock shocks. I'd be happy with the same handling and the stock ride height. The point of going back to stock ride height is to allow a bigger (taller) rear tire at the drag strip. It seems to me that the most practical option in stock ride height springs was the 1LE parts, which I bought. I know these won't help launching at the strip, but my car is primarily a fast street car anyway.

At this point, I still need shocks and it looks like the Koni SA are the best choice.

Rich Krause
Old 11-01-2002, 11:46 AM

Rich, you can run a 28" tire and still use the Eibachs......talk to Jordon about that...he does.

Jason
Old 11-01-2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Jason Short
Rich, you can run a 28" tire and still use the Eibachs......talk to Jordon about that...he does.

Jason
Hey Jason: thanks! I will email Jordan. I really don't see how though, hmmm.............

Rich Krause