Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Taillight

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 06:43 PM

Taillight

I noticed the taillight doesn't come on on the passenger side of a '96 Firebird. I suspect the brake light also doesn't work. I have never changed a rear bulb, so don't know how many there are. I think they are #3057, and the spare tire and cubby hole carpet has to come off. Any tips on this job?
Old 07-06-2019, 11:17 PM

Re: Taillight

I've attached pages from the 1996 Service Manual that explains the process. You can download a pdf copy of the manual here if you don't have one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1996 Firebird Tail Lights.pdf (150.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Administrator

The bulb part #’s (different for backup, tail only, and tail/stop/turn) and brief instructions are shown in the Owner's Manual as well. Remove trim panel from side you are working on, pull down carpet, entire light assembly must be removed. There are multiple wing nuts holding the light assembly on.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info guys. These apparently aren't as easy to change as the old muscle cars of the 60s. LOL
Old 07-08-2019, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by moparman
I noticed the taillight doesn't come on on the passenger side of a '96 Firebird. I suspect the brake light also doesn't work. I have never changed a rear bulb, so don't know how many there are. I think they are #3057, and the spare tire and cubby hole carpet has to come off. Any tips on this job?
Moparman,

It is a common fault with the rear lights to have bad grounds, because the fixtures are plastic. Each bulb needs a good ground, which may be shared by other bulbs. If a new bulb does not work, or the turn signals are wonky, find a good ground and splice it in wherever needed. A bad ground on one side can even cause problems on the other side, back there.

I use the big windows in a local strip mall as mirrors, to check the operation of all the lights at night, when the stores are closed.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Dug into this today, and it's bad news. When I was loosening the assembly, it looked as if there was water inside. Looked closer and saw a crack in the lens. Got the assembly out, and it was full of water. Proceeded to take the lamps out, and both were broken, and their bases appear to be rusted to the sockets. Got them soaking in WD40. If I can't get them out, guess I'll have to buy another assembly. Anyone have any tips on repairing the crack, in case I'm able to replace the lamps, so it doesn't happen again?
Old 07-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
Dug into this today, and it's bad news. When I was loosening the assembly, it looked as if there was water inside. Looked closer and saw a crack in the lens. Got the assembly out, and it was full of water. Proceeded to take the lamps out, and both were broken, and their bases appear to be rusted to the sockets. Got them soaking in WD40. If I can't get them out, guess I'll have to buy another assembly. Anyone have any tips on repairing the crack, in case I'm able to replace the lamps, so it doesn't happen again?
moparman,

Almost any clear epoxy can repair your lens. Use straight pins to wedge between the sides of the crack; the pins will hold the sides separate, to allow good glue penetration into the crack. Remove the pins while the epoxy is still liquid, and wipe away any squeeze-out glue with a paper towel. Some epoxies are made especially for plastics, and Google can find some for you at local outlets. I drilled two small holes at the bottom of the lens assembly, to drain water continuously, so the assembly can not fill and flood again. Check the taillights on other side for water and corrosion, too.

I would not waste time trying to salvage the corroded sockets. They will continue to corrode again, creating weird faults randomly. NAPA (and other reputable outlets) will have good-quality replacement sockets for your Firebird. Cut just one wire at a time, not all three at once, and join the new wires to old, one by one, using crimp splices. If you lack a serious crimping tool, wrap tape over the jaws of Vice-Grip pliers, and crimp the splices as tight as you can with one hand.

BTDT. It's an easy and reliable fix.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Ray, thanks for the reply. When I was looking at how corroded the sockets were, I wondered about replacing them. There are replacement sockets available, and my local auto parts store has ordered one for me to look at and see if it's compatible. I was wondering if an epoxy would work. I did think, while looking at the tail light assembly if I could drill some holes in the bottom. You've persuaded me to do it the easier way. Probably quicker to splice and glue than to remove and put the assembly back together. It's so hot and humid here I'll probably wait until a cooler day, if I don't get a ticket.