Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

A smurf got ahold of my gauges!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:37 PM

Re: A smurf got ahold of my gauges!

Does anyone know what sized leds should i use and should i double em up or just single?

5mm or 3mm?
Any tips/tricks?

Im ready to do it and was just wondering what exactly do i do? Take out the light and solder a resistor with an led, anything else?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:59 PM

Here's how I did mine: My post on page before this one

It's a little rough, but I did mine with 2 LED's and one resistor per socket. I can't quite remember what resistor size I used, but I think if you did a search on here you can find out that info. Also don't forget to find out which way the LED's should be soldered in, they ARE polar. I didn't actually solder mine down to the back of the gauges. I just took the old, black bulb socket (after I broke the old bulbs out) and put my soldered LED/resistor wires through the holes in the sides. Then I put the sockets in the guage board and tightened them down making sure that the two wires made contact with the board. This has held up now for close to 2 years, so I would say when done carefully this a pretty good way to do it. I know there's other ways, just do searches and you can find them.

OH! And don't forget that if you get directional LED's to make sure and sand the ends of them so that the light disperses and doesn't just make one bright part of the cluster!

Good luck, hope this helped some.

Kyle
Old 06-28-2005, 05:46 PM

do you think this can be done on an 88 with the old style 194 bulbs? led would be cool but not sure if i can get the effect like yours cuz of the illuminations on the older cars is not the same. what you think?
Old 06-28-2005, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by pHEnomIC
Does anyone know what sized leds should i use and should i double em up or just single?

5mm or 3mm?
Any tips/tricks?

Im ready to do it and was just wondering what exactly do i do? Take out the light and solder a resistor with an led, anything else?
Just go to www.superbrightleds.com and order 7-8 single bulb, wide pattern, 194 LED bulbs. Take your dash apart and install them, simple enough. Thats what i did on my TA dash which is almost identical to a 97+ camaro. Now my TA dash lights up blood red, instead of an orangish red.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:28 AM

I am getting ready to do this, already did my shifter and a few other things. I am a little worried that I will mess up the calibration of my guages. Do you have to mess with the needles at all and do they come off or do they stay on and will it not be a problem?

How exactly do i wire these, I got about 30 blue leds with resistors, what do i need to do?
Old 07-12-2005, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by automike25
Does anybody know if anybody makes blue guage needles to go with the blue backlighting? If not would clear guage needles do the job, i mean if there is blue leds behind them they should light up blue, right??
http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=729

I want to do my gauges with red or blue LEDs if it's possible with a T/A to go with the blue! and or red or blue needles! I have a red car with black roll hoop, mirrors, rear valence, and black z06 rims, but it's kind of hard to keep that same color scheme going with a grey leather interior and i think black would be hard to see at night! I was gonna go with the indiglo but finding the gauges for a LS1 style gauge pod is quite difficult and after reading this thread I decided to go with the LED look as you can customize it to your likings a little better.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:19 AM

good luck with that.. you will run into trouble, because unfortunately the way pontiac gets the red guages is by making a red transparent layer on the guage face itself, and uses standard light bulbs. if you put a blue led behind it, the red layer will only let the red light through, and in a blue led, there is almost none, so you really wont be able to see much. you would have to find a way to ever so carefully scrape off the red layer before you can put any lights behind.

good luck

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Well then I'll put the red leds back there and do the blue needles.........
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 PM

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=729

would this work on a 1995 Z28?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Your gauges look great.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Gar, so do we need 5 or 7/8 194s for the 93-96 gauge? Up until now I've always read it only takes 5, so I ordered 5, now I read this and it looks like I'm going to be short by 2 or 3 bulbs..
Old 02-01-2006, 06:52 PM

For anyone with 93-96 v6 guages (I'm not sure if it'll be the same for v8 or not?) here's a diagram of my gauges:

Old 02-01-2006, 11:45 PM

right on
Old 02-02-2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by meissenation
Gar, so do we need 5 or 7/8 194s for the 93-96 gauge? Up until now I've always read it only takes 5, so I ordered 5, now I read this and it looks like I'm going to be short by 2 or 3 bulbs..
would you guys recommend the 1 flat LED or the 4 bulb LED?

Last edited by Broken5hift; 02-02-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:29 AM

I ordered the 1 LED with the inverted cone tip (flat) and that's lighting up my gauges pretty darn bright...

Take into consideration, my camera absorbs way too much light, so these look overwhelmingly bright when in reality there's no glare whatsoever.

Here's some pictures with my dad's camera, which doesn't absorb the light so much...

And I edited this picture to try and get the brightness and contrast levels to be correct. You can easilly tell in this picture where the regular bulbs are (the seatbelt icon)

Quick Reply: A smurf got ahold of my gauges!