Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

A smurf got ahold of my gauges!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 02:47 PM

Re: A smurf got ahold of my gauges!

I installed blue bulbs in my cluster, but the needles don't show up really well.
Old 08-29-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Schismblade
I installed blue bulbs in my cluster, but the needles don't show up really well.
I think you are supposed to use a superbright one behind the needles and regular ones for the guages..
Old 08-29-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by pu12en12g
I think you are supposed to use a superbright one behind the needles and regular ones for the guages..
99-02 clusters have a different layout

We only have a total of 8 bulbs.

We only need five bulbs for the gauges.

Two are for the signals and another one for the brights indicator.

None of the bulbs are directly under the needles.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:40 PM

I like it
Old 08-31-2004, 12:48 AM

I would love to do this mod in blue. I have a 95Z does anyone know how many of each Dash, A/C, Headlight, Door Panel Lights and any other interior lights that would be on when the Headlights are on I would need? I also need the part numbers for each one. Any help i would appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 AM

I did the blue lights for my gauges in my '95. The way to do it is just replace your incandescent(sp?) bulbs with WHITE LED's. The reason for using white is because the factory puts a blue screen over the gauges to filter out the yellow in the original bulbs. Here's a very rough phone pic of my gauges now (they're actually blue, but just can't tell in this pic) Blue Gauges. Nice and bright.

The way I did the gauges was by buying a pack of superwhite LED's off ebay and actually breaking the original bulbs out of their sockets and using the sockets for the LED's. I put 2 LED's per socket (so 14 total) and one resistor to maintain the right voltage. I don't remember the resistor amount though. Do a search on here and there's plenty of pages to help you out.
Here's one in particular: http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...8&page=1&pp=30

Good luck. There's seven sockets for the gauges. 2 for the HVAC, 1 for the headlight controls, 1 for the shifter plate, and 2 for the door panels (one each).

Kyle
Old 12-05-2004, 09:51 AM

yah, i did this mod too.. if you get thoes wedge base led's, you can get the twist on black bases from autozone, i think they were the 5/8" sockets.. as for the hvac and headlights, i am about to do thoes, so any help would be appreciated. another easy way to do the lights is to turn your dash lights on, and replace the ones that glow... seems pretty simple to me...
anyhow, have fun boys and girls.
Mike
Old 12-05-2004, 01:00 PM

i think rather than spending that money on LED's that can burn out. I would just get a set of white faced reverse glow gauges off ebay. I love mine and they were only $30 shipped.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:15 PM

...except that LEDs don't burn out.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by z28_melissa
...except that LEDs don't burn out.
Thats odd. I wonder why i've seen people wanting to replace the burnt out led lights on there 94-95 Cobra and 98+SS 3rd brake lights. Maybe someone broke into their spoilers and stole the lights out of them.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:10 PM

LEDs have no filament (like a lightbulb does) to burn, and they also produce little-to-no heat, so there is no such thing as an LED "burning out". An LED will last at least 100,000 hours. So, if the LED is on for 12 hours a day, every day, it will last about 22 years. The chances of an LED going bad before that is very slim, with the exception of the obvious (smashing them, physically burning them with fire, electrical problems), thus one of the reasons people use them.

Spread the word to your buddies who are out replacing their "burned out" LEDs.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by z28_melissa
LEDs have no filament (like a lightbulb does) to burn, and they also produce little-to-no heat, so there is no such thing as an LED "burning out". An LED will last at least 100,000 hours. So, if the LED is on for 12 hours a day, every day, it will last about 22 years. The chances of an LED going bad before that is very slim, with the exception of the obvious (smashing them, physically burning them with fire, electrical problems), thus one of the reasons people use them.

Spread the word to your buddies who are out replacing their "burned out" LEDs.
hhhmm, i guess i'll tell them someone broke in, in the middle of the night and stole some LED's out of their lights. I guess i'll have to look in to who keeps stealing the light bulbs out of the LED lights on our trucks at work, since they can't be burning out.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:21 AM

She's saying it's not the leds that are at fault, the wiring or eletronics before the led is at fault....and that leds don't "Burn" out they just go out.

Argument over :blah:
Old 12-06-2004, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by AW/whiteZ-28
She's saying it's not the leds that are at fault, the wiring or eletronics before the led is at fault....and that leds don't "Burn" out they just go out.

Argument over :blah:
Aww i gotcha i read her second post again. They may not burn out but they do go out.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:21 PM

Does anybody know if anybody makes blue guage needles to go with the blue backlighting? If not would clear guage needles do the job, i mean if there is blue leds behind them they should light up blue, right??

Quick Reply: A smurf got ahold of my gauges!