Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Removal of Trans Am/Firebird bird on center taillights?....antenna? also.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 02:45 PM

Removal of Trans Am/Firebird bird on center taillights?....antenna? also.

Ok...First set of questions. Is there a way to remove the bird that is on the center taillight piece of my 96 trans am? I want to it to just plain black. If I remove the coloring(brown, in my case) for the bird and trans am logo...will there still be a slight raised area that shows the logo? Or, will it all just disappear with the revmoval of the colored stuff and be nice and smooth/plain?

Also, I wanted to get rid of my power antenna(ugly POS) and put in one of those little black sprial ones. I had one on my old plymouth duster with no problem, but dont know about the TA. Does a standard one of those antennas(like one from an autostore) fit/and will it hook up? Thanks!
Old 08-21-2003, 03:14 PM

Ok....sounds like thats what Ill do. After my forged 355 buildup is finished, im taking my car to get detailed anyhow. Ill have them sand it down and match the paint to my car.

FWIW...I have a 2002 redbird center piece I got off ebay a few months ago also. For sale if anyone wants it....shoot me an email. Perfect condition, not faded. My car now has balck wheels, windows, lights, etc...the only thing that stands out on my car is the damn bird. Since my original brown bird is alrady fading...guess its the one ill have sanded/painted. I want my car to be totally black.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Or you could just find the center-piece from a Formula.

Last edited by Injuneer; 08-21-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:26 PM

.....Now, thats what Im talking about. Off to the WTB forum. Anybody, want to trade a their plain black formula center piece for a 2002 Bright Red Trans Am center piece, or my stock brown bird....let me know. Thanks for the great idea fred!!!

Link to my post in WTB forum.....copy and paste....
//web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1255031#post1255031

Link to pic of stock brown bird piece....not a blurry as pictured. copy and past link...
//www.geocities.com/lotus_tt/MyPicFolder/bbird.jpg

Link to 2002 redbird piece....not faded at all...copy and past link...
//www.geocities.com/lotus_tt/MyPicFolder/rbird.jpg

Email me for trades. All I want is stock formula black piece. Thanks!

Last edited by N2OpwrdTA; 08-21-2003 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:16 PM

Dude, just wetsand the piece...

2000 grit sandpaper, a bucket of water (or soap and water), and some rubbing compound. Get the sand paper wet, and rub the crap out of the piece. Keep it wet. After its done, dry it off...it will look all scratched up....that is where the rubbing compound comes in: put it on, let it dry, rub off, and voila! You have a smooth black panel!

That's how I got rid of my red faded bird.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 AM

Hummm....that sounds like I can do that. Also, I noticed your bird is still on your car in those pics. Do you have any of how it turned out. Doesnt matter i guess, cause Im going to try it anyhow. Im good at building my car, but dont have much body work skill. Guess its time to learn since nobody wanted to trade me pieces. Off to...the auto store.

Edit: Im finished. Only took me 1hr 15min. That included going to 2 autostores to find 2000grit wet sandpaper(autozone had it), compound and wax. Anyhow, I have added a pic of the finished product. Only took about 10 mins of sanding with 2000grit paper. Then added a few coats of compound...and lastly 2 coats of wax. Turned out very good for my first body work attempt ever.
Before
//www.geocities.com/lotus_tt/MyPicFolder/bbird.jpg

After
//www.geocities.com/lotus_tt/MyPicFolder/sandedpanel.jpg

Fianlly, NO MORE STUPID BIRD!

Also, redbird piece is for sale now. Make me an offer!

2002 red trans am bird panel for sale:
//www.geocities.com/lotus_tt/MyPicFolder/rbird.jpg

Last edited by N2OpwrdTA; 08-22-2003 at 01:47 PM.