Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Remote starters kick a**

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 05:31 PM

Remote starters kick a**

I just finished installing my remote car starter/alarm with an lcd pager on my 95Z M6. Actually I had a professional do it and I had to finish the last wire. I had to bypass the clutch in order to remote start the car so now I dont even have to push the clutch in to start the car. Being that this is a safety issue he would not splice the wires together so I had to. He has no idea why we had to splice the wires he has done many of these but never a mannix system. I love the system except for that little problem but it is a minor one. Anyone messes with my car my pager lets me know what is happening and I can shut the car down with a push of a button. Just figured I would let you know in case anyone wanted one. The alarm cost $170 off ebay and is sold for $300 in a local store around here. It cost about $200 to install one. Here is a link to where it is in case anyone wants one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14934
Old 12-29-2002, 12:04 AM

Cool man. I have had my remote start on my 94 and now on my 99. Its great. word of warning. When I worked at Circuit City, everybody in the road shop, at all CC's in the area had remote starts. Even if there cars were Manuals. Every person who's car wasn't an auto, at one time or another ended up leaving there car in gear and driving them into a wall when the car started (couple had to pay to fix walls at the store when the cars drove through them . It was really fun when my friend with a Blown 96 GT cranked his in gear. You would be suprised how far the car jumps when it has that much power. Him chasing it down hitting the button to shut it off was priceless. . Just be careful with it, or get a switch that will disable the remote start if the car is in gear.
Old 12-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Banned

damn thts a sweet one

i bought it
Old 12-29-2002, 05:47 PM

Re: Remote starters kick a**

Originally posted by 95Zdroptop
I just finished installing my remote car starter/alarm with an lcd pager on my 95Z M6. Actually I had a professional do it and I had to finish the last wire. I had to bypass the clutch in order to remote start the car so now I dont even have to push the clutch in to start the car. Being that this is a safety issue he would not splice the wires together so I had to. He has no idea why we had to splice the wires he has done many of these but never a mannix system. I love the system except for that little problem but it is a minor one. Anyone messes with my car my pager lets me know what is happening and I can shut the car down with a push of a button. Just figured I would let you know in case anyone wanted one. The alarm cost $170 off ebay and is sold for $300 in a local store around here. It cost about $200 to install one. Here is a link to where it is in case anyone wants one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=14934
Sweet! Im going to check around town to see if I can get anything like that... the thing is, some stores might sell em for $300, but if you buy it from them they install it at a discounted price... but the same store will rape you on installation if you buy it elsewhere and just get it installed by them.

OH i have a question about the pager, does it attatch to your keychain or do you just have to carry it around as a unit by itself?
Thanks
Old 12-29-2002, 06:44 PM

i love that pagar alarm...cause whats an alarm good for if u cant hear it go off??
Old 12-29-2002, 08:59 PM

Yes the pager attaches to your keychain and it is not much bigger than the factory remote for the camaro. Also people are always talking about leaving your car in gear and it jumping forward. Yes this could suck. I am not sure how other car alarms work but you have to program the car everytime you want to remote start it to remote start it. Here is how it works. After you get done going to where you are going you go to park you car (home, work, gym etc. ) Before you shut your car off you put the car in neutral and pull the e-brake. Then you hit the star button on the remote and a single chirp will sound, then you take your key out of the ingition and the car will still be running. You exit the car and shut the door and then hit the lock button. This you arm the car and shut it off.(this is the other cool part about it). Now the car is programmed. Now see the car has to be in neutral because your car cant be running when you exit the vehicle with it in gear so this is like a safety measure. Also the pager does work but not a mile away like it says. If you go in the mall or it will only work for a while depending how big and far you go into your mall. It is great for parking in front of the house, most stores, gym, bar, etc. Hope this helps. Also the place that wanted $300 for the alarm also wanted $200 to install it. It does have a lot of wires so it is pretty complex. But a great product. I am getting a motion/radar sensor real soon.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:21 PM

Thanks for clearing alot of that up... I have an automatic 94Z and I really need to get an alarm for it... I was always putting it off until one day my car was stolen a couple weeks ago, and when it was recovered it was wrecked in the front end... Im in the process of putting it back together with LS1 parts, but this time I am going to get an alarm first thing!! Thanks again, because I think I might get this one if you guys are happy with it.

Originally posted by 95Zdroptop
Yes the pager attaches to your keychain and it is not much bigger than the factory remote for the camaro. Also people are always talking about leaving your car in gear and it jumping forward. Yes this could suck. I am not sure how other car alarms work but you have to program the car everytime you want to remote start it to remote start it. Here is how it works. After you get done going to where you are going you go to park you car (home, work, gym etc. ) Before you shut your car off you put the car in neutral and pull the e-brake. Then you hit the star button on the remote and a single chirp will sound, then you take your key out of the ingition and the car will still be running. You exit the car and shut the door and then hit the lock button. This you arm the car and shut it off.(this is the other cool part about it). Now the car is programmed. Now see the car has to be in neutral because your car cant be running when you exit the vehicle with it in gear so this is like a safety measure. Also the pager does work but not a mile away like it says. If you go in the mall or it will only work for a while depending how big and far you go into your mall. It is great for parking in front of the house, most stores, gym, bar, etc. Hope this helps. Also the place that wanted $300 for the alarm also wanted $200 to install it. It does have a lot of wires so it is pretty complex. But a great product. I am getting a motion/radar sensor real soon.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:34 PM

Thumbs up

I love my remote starter!! I got it as an early "Christmas present" from my parents. My dad (who's a mechanic) doesn't like the way my LS1 sounds (can you say, piston slap?? ), especially first thing in the morning, so he suggested I get a remote starter (which he and my mom paid for) so I could start my car from inside while I'm getting ready for work in the morning. While it's not "recommended" to idle a car for too long, at least it doesn't sound as much like a diesel when I get to it in the morning.