Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Brangeta's topic about 4th gen Camaro history

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Oh, okay, how about the LT1-body race car(Le Mans I think) ? Got anything on that?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Oh, okay, how about the LT1-body race car(Le Mans I think) ? Got anything on that?
A little bit, I can write about that decently. I'll do that .
Old 12-30-2007, 07:52 PM

The 3.8 was a mid year intro on 95 cars across the US, but was full year in California due to emissions standards(what else?). You forgot about the precursor to the 4th gen, the California Camaro GTZ which looks like a combination of a 3rd gen IROC and a 4th gen LT1 car.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:57 PM

great thread, thanks for the info keep it up

subscribe
Old 12-30-2007, 07:58 PM

I forgot to add anything else to this topic, good thing you brought it back to the top.

I'll try to add something new before I go back to work on the 2nd.

I wish more people said they were interested though... it's almost pointless for me to go through all the trouble of scanning images and digging up data.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM

Sticky.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:51 AM

Alright guys, I dug through my rubbermaid of magazines and scanned a whole lot tonight and still have about 20 magazines left to go through tomorrow. I'm too tired to do much typing or resizing tonight, but I'll throw this out there...

When the 4th generation Camaro was new, it was in ads for EVERYTHING. Most of you guys here are like me--too young to remember this, because you weren't old enough to drive back then. If there was an ad for wheels in a magazine, chances were, there was a Camaro in the ad. If it was an ad for bodykits, mechanical bits, go fast parts, or suspension from late 1993 to 1995 (maybe even 1996) there was a good chance there'd be a Camaro showcased. The early 4th gen Camaros were hot.

The '93 Camaro was touted as an amazing sports car that put the Mustang to shame. It received praise in everything I've ever read. And the advertising agencies and marketing departments at companies took notice.

Here's an example of such. A 1995 ad for Kmart.

The 4th gen Camaros, particularly the 1993-1997 don't appear in much advertising today, but if you are in a Dollar General sometime, go to the automotive section. If you're lucky, you'll see a brand of motor oil with an illustration of a '93 Camaro on it. I've never bought it, so I don't have a picture of it. The bottle is yellow and the car is red.

Again guys, if you want to add something, please do. I have a rather small collection of magazines, and can't cover everything.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:19 AM

This doesn't have to do with Camaro history but, do you have the magazine article with the 73/93 Camaro? It was a 73 Camaro with a 93 interior. I don't remember what magazine it came out of though.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 AM

Thanks for the newest addition, I have been waiting almost a month to see something new.

If I catch the motor oil I'll get a picture.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 94Z28WP
This doesn't have to do with Camaro history but, do you have the magazine article with the 73/93 Camaro? It was a 73 Camaro with a 93 interior. I don't remember what magazine it came out of though.
If I remember correctly, that Camaro was actually a 93, and the guy (obviously with a little custom work) put 73 body panels on it...
Old 12-31-2007, 11:47 AM

you may want to mention the Granatelli Camaros. i think it was in 95 that he built a bunch (maybe 250 of them) and they had paxton superchargers on them. the only info i was ever able to find on them was here: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...aro/index.html

BTW he made 3 more in 01, and i have number 1 of those.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28WP
I don't have the article, but I do have some pics and info. I'm a huge Callaway fan so you're in luck! I believe the magazine you're looking for is an issue of Hot Rod magazine, but I don't know what issue it is. If you find out, please let me know, as I'd like to buy it or find someone to scan it for me.

There was a two-page spread for the car in Super Chevy August 2000 as well, which is where a lot of what I know about the car comes from.

The 73/93 Camaro was created by Wade's Rod & Custom in Wylie, TX. It's a 1973 Camaro with the interior of a '93 Camaro and one of Callaway's SuperNatural engines. The cost to create it was rumored to be about $250,000.

I don't know if the original owner still owns it, but the original owner was Bill Ogle from Texas. I've never been fortunate enough to find Bill online, but since we both live in Texas, I'd love to see his cars someday. But anyway, Bill Ogle is actually the person who donated his car to Reeves Callaway's SuperNatural engine program for 4th gen f-bodies. He allowed Reeves to use his '93 Camaro (supposedly a Pace Car Replica) for development purposes, so it has many one-off parts on it as well. I've never seen pictures of it though... (if any of you have any please let me know!!!!)

I'll do a GIGANTIC Callaway C8/Camaro write up in this series soon. I'm more of an expert on them than any other special Camaro. I know most people hate the way they look, but I really like them A LOT for their uniqueness and engineering.

I know of several cars Ogle owns/owned. The 73/93, the first '93 Camaro with a Callaway SuperNatural engine (he didn't get the bodykit), a '70 Dodge Charger with a Viper V10 engine, a '71 Baldwin-Motion Phase III 454 Camaro, a '69 Dick Harrell COPO 427 Camaro, and the very first Callaway C12--the '97 development car.

Anyway, this car was originally purchased by Ogle for about $500 as the story goes, and it sat in storage for years and years.

Sometime in 1994, Ogle bought a totaled '93 Camaro that had only 2000 miles on it, and he got the idea to have his '73 Camaro completely modernized.

The car sits on a tube chassis and has a 12-point roll cage. It has a 10-bolt rearend with 3.73 gearing as well as a TON of tricked out suspension components and 13 inch Brembo or Baer brakes. This thing can supposedly handle like a dream.

Keeping with the 93 theme, the car has many of the '93 Camaro's parts like the firewall, steering box, and braking equipment like master cylinder and booster (even the ABS!), and the '93's air conditioning system.

The LT1 was shipped off to Callaway to be rebuilt into one of their SuperNatural engines. Callaway essentially took care of all of the drivetrain components I believe, except for the air intake and driveshaft.

The air intake is a custom piece Wade's made with K&N air filters. The driveshaft is a DynoTech composite driveshaft.

It has 505 horsepower and the usual Borg-Warner T56 we're so familiar with here. As you can see, the car has the '93 Camaro dash, pedals, and center console. Everything works as it should since the '93 wiring harness was reused. I don't have this 100% confirmed, but it's obvious to me that Callaway's wood veneer kit and short-throw shifter were purchased as well.

Although it looks like the speakers were removed (see door), the car actually has a custom Alpine stereo with plenty of speakers hidden around the car.

The seats are from a '94 Trans Am. The rest of the interior was custom stitched by Cooks Auto Top and Trim in Murphy, TX supposedly, but since Callaway's signature is embroidered on the door panel, I would assume they provided to leather to Cooks.

One of the best custom Camaros ever created. Thanks for asking about it... I didn't initially plan on featuring it!

Last edited by Brangeta; 12-31-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Some more images of 73/93:

This last one is a picture of it before the hood scoop was opened up

Last edited by Brangeta; 12-31-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by red01z28
you may want to mention the Granatelli Camaros. i think it was in 95 that he built a bunch (maybe 250 of them) and they had paxton superchargers on them. the only info i was ever able to find on them was here: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...aro/index.html

BTW he made 3 more in 01, and i have number 1 of those.
I'll definitely be featuring the Granatelli Signature Series (GSS) Camaros. I have some info to review about them, so I should be able to write something pretty good. One of the magazines I scanned out of yesterday had about 7 pages about them I think.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't know a single thing about the the LS1 Granatelli Camaros though, so it'd be great if you could write something about them if you have any documentation from when you bought your car!

Would you mind emailing me some high res or somewhat high res images of your car? Along with a little bit of documentation (if any) that it is #1? I'd love to add it to my collection of pics! brangeta (at) gmail (dot) com (write it in the correct format--I wrote it like that to not get spam bots sending me stuff).
Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 PM

That's the one I was talking about. I've been looking for the original article for a while. Thanks for posting the pictures and doing a write-up of what you know about it.

Keep posting what you have. Even though you might not get post acknowledgements, I'm sure people are interested in seeing what you have. I check this thread off and on to see if you've posted anything new.

Quick Reply: Brangeta's topic about 4th gen Camaro history