Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Brangeta's topic about 4th gen Camaro history

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Your thread is certainly being read Brange. 865 views
Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 PM

you should launch a dedicated web site with this info...that would be bad ***.

www.rarefbodies.com lol
Old 01-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Or just ask Chris da Frezmister and John Dippa Doppa Doobato make the posts articles in the articles section here.

Oh oh, what about the WIKI?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by DAKMOR
Or just ask Chris da Frezmister and John Dippa Doppa Doobato make the posts articles in the articles section here.

Oh oh, what about the WIKI?
You know... when I got my wisdom teeth taken out and was on drugs, I talked like you just typed .

I'd rather just put my stuff here. A website is too much of a hassle, and if a mod or admin would do me the favor of making this a sticky, I wouldn't have to worry about the info ever disappearing.

And Wiki... man... I copy and pasted 4 pages worth of Callaway C8 info onto there a few months ago, and within days, the info was removed! I hate how anybody can delete other people's entries.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:32 AM

I'd love to see info on like the Hendrick Motorsports 97 SS (61 Made, 9 w/ LT4's?) as well as the LT4 SS.

For example, what is included in the Blistein Level 3 Suspension (standard with LT4 SS's)
Old 01-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
I'd love to see info on like the Hendrick Motorsports 97 SS (61 Made, 9 w/ LT4's?) as well as the LT4 SS.

For example, what is included in the Blistein Level 3 Suspension (standard with LT4 SS's)
I'll be honest... both of those are going to be pretty difficult. I don't know much about the Hendrick cars off the top of my head, and don't own any magazines from '96 or '97 as far as I know, but maybe I can dig up something in some old files...

I'm sure I can come up with some info, but it might be short.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 PM

I don't know if it means anything to you, but I have all of the chevy Hi-performane issues(except a few that may have been lost) dating back to 1996 and the last issue of All Chevy with the 96 ss on the cover, It said "holy hoodscoop" on the cover if anybody remembers. For what it's worth..
Old 01-04-2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by rpmatredline
I don't know if it means anything to you, but I have all of the chevy Hi-performane issues(except a few that may have been lost) dating back to 1996 and the last issue of All Chevy with the 96 ss on the cover, It said "holy hoodscoop" on the cover if anybody remembers. For what it's worth..
If you have the time and interest, it'd be cool if you could help me build this topic then!

My specialty is '93-'96, then '00-to present (I say present because I believe GMMG's production of 2002 Dick Harrell Camaros isn't done yet). I don't have many magazines for '97-'00, which is why I don't have a whole ton of info on tuner cars from that period, like the Hendrick Motorsports SS. I actually don't have too much on the '96 SS either I don't think.

I should have some new stuff to post on here this weekend. This first week back at work has been crazy, so I haven't had time to do anything.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM

I 'd like to help, we can see how it goes. I have trouble budgeting time myself, but any thing I can help with I'd be glad to help out. That issue of All Chevy was like the debut of the SS in 96. There used to be alot of LT1 stuff in CHP. Maybe I'll dig out some old issues and do a little research. I'll keep checkin my mail and this post.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:03 PM

there was a SLP RS?? learn new things everyday (especially being a somewhat newb to the f-body world)
Old 01-07-2008, 11:03 PM

I pulled out all my mags and found some interesting stuff I will post it when I got more time. I found two different articles on the debut of the 1996 SS.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by rpmatredline
I pulled out all my mags and found some interesting stuff I will post it when I got more time. I found two different articles on the debut of the 1996 SS.
Cool! If you find anything in those issues about Callaway C8s no matter how minor, please email me scans if you have a scanner. (brangeta (at) gmail (dot) com but written the normal email address way). 300 DPI and cropped would be great!

I'm sorry I didn't post anything this weekend guys, but I've been sick since before Christmas, and just haven't had the energy to go through all the info and pics when I've gotten home from work. Besides, I don't get paid to do this stuff, and some of it is a LOT of work organizing info.

The articles about production cars (rather than one-off customs) like the RS, SS, ZL1, Berger SS, Intimidator SS, Dick Harrell Camaros, etc. take a lot more time to write about than the one-offs, so I haven't had time to do that. Especially since I'm going to make an effort to post a pic of every ZL1 Camaro if possible (I probably have pics of at least 30 of them). And some of the one-offs like the '93/'94 572ci ZL-1 take a massive amount of researching since it was featured in so many magazines and continuously updated throughout the years. I want to be accurate on this stuff, and sometimes magazine articles contradict.

One thing I hope to post tonight isn't really on-topic per say, but if you consider the history of the 4th gen to include cars built using 4th gen parts, I have a one-off custom to post. It was a reader's ride or something in a rather recent magazine.

Hopefully I'll get that done tonight.

I'll also try to have my information about production history with regard to color online tonight or tomorrow. This is information I put on Brent Franker's website several months ago, but his newer site no longer works--only the old one does. This info will be like this:

1. Total number of Camaros made in this color from 1993-2002 (I won't break it down by year).
2. What the paint code is.
3. Special details if any.
4. and I will post a picture of a stock Camaro in that color (or at least stock looking exterior-wise)
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Oh, and if those magazines have any info about the SLP development cars, please post that info. I know one was a '93 Pace Car that was repainted solid black but retained the pace car interior. I don't believe I have any pictures of those development cars muchless much info.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM

Part of the 4th generation Camaro's history includes what people have done with Camaro parts. This story is from a fairly recent Hot Rod Magazine I think, and is about a one-off vehicle.

This car was made by someone named either "James" or "Terry Ward" in Tallahassee, FL (the magazine credited Terry Ward for the car in the heading, yet in the article it says James without a last name). The owner calls the car the MIG (Made In Garage).

The builder wanted to build something Ferrari-like, but didn't want to build something that looked like anything ever produced. So his solution was to use the doors, roof, and windshield from a Camaro, and custom make the rest of the body.

The chassis and suspension are mostly completely fabricated, but the car uses a '70 Camaro subframe in the front and Corvette C3 parts in the rear. A modified Chevy 350ci engine is connected to a Porsche 930 transaxle, and is mounted behind the driver.

I'll have some more future stories about coachbuilt/semi-production vehicles in the future.

(the last two pictures were provided by shock6906)

Last edited by Brangeta; 01-10-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 PM

4th gen Camaro Production (as far as colors go) listed from rarest to most common. Don't get pissed at me if these numbers are slightly off. There were some B4C Camaros and other special condition Camaros that screwed with the production numbers, but these are as accurate as I have been able to come up with.

Format is as such:

picture
official Chevy Camaro color name (Pontiac used different names)
years available
paint code
total production in this color from 1993 to 2002
special notes (if any)

Black/arctic white
code 01/01 (which is technically just 41 (black), 10 (arctic white))
633 total
Indy Pace Car Replica, all were Z28

Bright blue metallic
code 20
rarest single 4th gen color independent of body style, no SSes made in this color

Bright purple metallic
1997-1998
code 88
Rarest color dependent on body style ('97 was the old body style, '98 the new). 883 made in '97 and 481 made in '98. Approximately 104 (or fewer) '98s in this color were Z28s, no SSes for either year.

Hugger orange
1999-2000
code 99
Only 1 was made in '00 and it was supposedly a convertible, I don't know the story behind it...

Sport gold metallic
1998-1999
code 63
Only 5 were made in '99. These 5 were made because of a Days Inn contest in 1998 that advertised they were giving away 5 gold Camaros. The contract said they had to be gold, so GM made them gold. Supposedly 2 were given away in the contest; the other 3 were sold at auction. I have yet to see any of them go up for sale. One of them was rumored to have been totaled, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Sunset orange metallic
2000-2002
code 71
This was a 2001-2002 color, but 13 2000 Camaros were painted in this color towards the end of 2000 production.

Bright rally red/silver stripes
no special paint code; paint is code 81 Bright Rally Red
35th anniversary edition, all SS, all began as 2002 Bright Rally Red Camaro Z28s, so subtract 3,369 from the Bright Rally Red total below.

Arctic white/hugger orange stripes
no special paint code; paint is code 10 Arctic White
30th anniversary edition, all Z28 and SS, all began as 1997 Arctic White Camaro Z28s, so subtract 4,534 from the Arctic White total below.

Bright green metallic
1997-1999
code 31
Only 2,685 were made in 1997, making it a rare color for the 93-97 body style

Quick Reply: Brangeta's topic about 4th gen Camaro history