Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

96 Camaro Rims.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 PM

96 Camaro Rims.

So, just wanted to let everyone know I'm new, so I apologize if this is in the wrong location.

I picked up a 96 camaro a couple months ago, and have been doing a lot of work to the engine, suspension, etc. Needed a lot more work than I thought when I bought it.
However, one thing I don't know how to do, is fix my rims. It would appear the previous owner hit curbs a few times which has caused some damage to the rims.

So the black part of the rim, is pretty much damage free, just has wear and tear towards the center. My primary concern is the silver ring, which is very jagged and roughed up from what I can only assume was hitting curbs.

So My question is basically, what methods can I take to smooth out the silver portion of the rim? In the best possible scenario, I'm looking to completely refinish the rims, redo the black, and add a chrome finish to the silver.

Also, just for the sake of it, here's a picture of the car itself
Old 11-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Re: 96 Camaro Rims.

OK - a few items:

#1 - To truly fix them at a wheel shop it would probably cost $150 a wheel....
#2 - Those look like OE Wheels - Z06 - But I haven't seen them make the black with rivets in a while - so you may not be able order new ones any longer....
#3 - OE Wheels have a number of newer options that are about the same cost as fixing them, so you can update the look for about the same cost as fixing the issue.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Check this place for pricing the repairs:

Wheel Collision Center Bath PA- Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Wheel Rim Sales & Alloy Wheel Rim Straightening Repair Refinishing & Recycling! - www.oemfactoryrimwheel.com Excellence in Refinished/Used Factory OEM Aluminum A

Wheel Collision Center Bath Allentown Pennsylvania PA - Factory OEM Aluminum Alloy Rims Wheel Sales & Factory and Aftermarket Custom Aluminum Alloy Wheel Repair Experts Wheel Collision Center Bath Allentown Pennsylvania PA - Factory OEM Aluminum Allo

As noted above, probably cheaper to buy new wheels.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Banned

Those are nice rims..looks pretty great.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by KayleighDant
Those are nice rims..looks pretty great.
I notice from your IP adress that you are from Delhi, India. Are there many Camaros in India?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Just wanted to apologize for the delay, things slowed down here after a very lengthy winter, so most of the ongoing work was with the engine and chassis.

Wanted to thank everyone for the input for the time being, supposed to warm up quite a bit in the next week so I'll be taking a look at them.

96 Z 28; They're definitely Z06, but they're aftermarkets C5. Putting the work into refinishing them isn't a problem for me, but finding out all the rivets are fake plastic, glued in, made it a bit more of an annoying thing.
(Also there is a site that still sells the black with rivets, price is a little high though)

Usually, ordering new rims would be cheaper. Except I live in Canada, so once it hits the border, I get a reaming. I'll probably give refinishing them a shot first, and if it goes poorly, I'll likely have to bite the bullet and order a new set.

Injuneer; Thanks for the links, I'll be sure to give them a read.