Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Relocating alternator......Pulley question???

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 10:04 PM

Relocating alternator......Pulley question???

I have had this question posted in the General Tech Forum for a few days with no comments. What do ya'll think about this?

I have been thinking about relocating the alternator to the lower drivers side of the engine. I don't want to remove the PS and AC compressor. My question is this. I am running a "piggyback" style underdrive pulley. The way I am planning on doing this, the PS and AC would continue to run off of the underdrive pulley. The relocated alternator will be driven by the factory pulley. Are there any problems with running accessories off of both pullies(vibrations, etc.)? Not only would this ease valve cover access, this will also allow me to run only the alternator at the track simply by removing one belt. Give me your thoughts.....
Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Multiple pullies shouldn't present any problem. Are you planning to replace the alternator with an idler in the stock alternator position? If not, how do you plan to route the serpentine belt to keep the PS and AC?
Old 01-07-2003, 04:06 PM

Yep..... I plan to use an idler pulley in place of the alternator up top. I was just concerned about the use of both pullies creating some type of vibration. Thanks for the insight....