Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Ignition unit New Delteq opti Delayed / another optispark replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2002, 01:12 PM

Cool Ignition unit New Delteq opti Delayed

New unit Does it all.Sr didn't like something on the optisolution so he changed it.So it is delayed a bit.But this unit does it all heres some pics its HUGE as you can see!! Http://www.hpworks.com/delteq.html As soon as the Optisolution is done you will be the first too know

------------------
lil Japanese car BIG American motor
www.speakeasy.net/~lt1240z
Old 12-05-2003, 11:44 AM

another optispark replacement?

http://www.delteq.com/products_opti.htm

anyone heard of these guys or used them? the information seems pretty thorough.

anyone care to explain technically why or why not this would be a good option.

the do-it-yourself kit is $350, which seems a lot better than buying a dynaspark, or LTCC.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:23 PM

Wow this seems pretty interesting it looks like its worth looking into.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:35 PM
96z

Interesting
Old 12-05-2003, 07:14 PM

Here is their website.

http://www.delteq.com

Here is the LT1 OPTI-PLUS & OPTI-DIRECT IGNITION SYSTEM:

http://www.delteq.com/products_opti.htm

Anyway, just got an email from a friend on this and thought I would pass it along to all you faithful LT1 owners out there.

Nice to have choices for our motors.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:51 PM
GP Moderator

Niffty, but not the most cost effective solution. I'd definately take the LTCC box over the "Opti Direct" setup, though the "Opti Plus" setup is a different story, since it totally does away with the opti.

At the same time, the cost isn't exactly friendly.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Merging this thread with the other Deteq thread that was just made in this forum...
Old 12-08-2003, 07:52 AM

recieved an email from Delteq very quickly after sending it to them. here is what they had to say about the DIY kits (the $350 kit compared to the $600-800 complete kit).

Thanks for your interest!

The 102-9001 & 102-9002 kits only include the following:
Delteq Opti Box
plug-and-play wiring harness
coil bracketry
firing order stickers
detailed instructions
These kits require the user to source the ignition module and coils from a 4-coil Cadillac Northstar or Olds Aurora V8. Since there are plenty of those cars in the salvage yards now, it is relatively easy to get these parts. Basically, 102-9001 & 9002 are low-cost options for those who don't want to spend the extra money on new parts. Also, the 9001 and 9002 kits only come with a valve-cover coil pack mount...the F-Body radiator-shroud mount can be purchased separately for a small upcharge.

For those who want everything brand new and custom-made to a vehicle, the complete kits are the way to go. Everything is bolt-on with the complete kits, and all the parts are brand-new straight from Delphi (the manufacturer of the ignition module). Since the most expensive items in the kits are the ignition modules and coils, the price of the complete kits is quite a bit higher than the 102-9001 and 9002 kits. Included with the complete kits are the following items:

Delteq Opti-Box
4 Coils
Delphi Ignition Module
Custom Brackets for the Ignition Module/Coil Assembly (includes all fasteners)
Plug-and-Play Wiring Harness (absolutely no cutting, splicing, or modifying!)
Custom-Length Spark Plug Wire Set (8mm silicon carbon core)
Firing Order Stickers
Detailed Instruction Manual

Some more info...
Stage 1 kits are currently in-stock and ready to ship. These units DO NOT require the removal of the opti-spark. You simply use the opti-spark's position sensors to send to the Opti-Box, which then drives the Distributorless Ignition Module. As such, this system is as easy to install as a set of spark plug wires.

Stage 2 kits are not yet available, though we are doing testing for a beta release. Basically, this system replaces the stock trigger wheel and sensors inside the opti-spark with a hall-effect system. Hall effect sensors rely on magnetic sensing rather than optical sensing...as such, they are much more reliable in a dirty automotive environment. We are hoping to have beta test units available in 2 months to more knowledgeable users. Production units will probably arrive in about 4-5 months for everyone else!

Feel free to give us a call. I will probably be able to explain everything over the phone easier than I did in this email!

Best regards,
Pete

--------------------------------------------------
Peter Visser
Mechanical Engineer
DI Development (makers of "Delteq")
2758 Viking Drive
Oak Hill, Virginia 20171
Phone: (703)476-3566
Fax: (703)476-1506
mailtovisser@***.net
http://www.delteq.com

im going to check around at local yards to see if i can get the module/coils for cheap, if so im gonna give this a shot. i was about the replace my opti anyway.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Using only a 4-coil pack indicates it is using a "lost spark" ignition. This would suggest that it might not be able to support full sequential injection..... the problem that ultimately torpedoed the Electromotive "Opti Eliminator/SDI".

Any insight to whether the "add on" basic unit supports sequential - would seem logical that it could, because it is still using the optical sensor?? The question is can the soon-to-be-released Hall effect trigger feed the stock PCM?

Good to have another source, but more info is needed.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Using only a 4-coil pack indicates it is using a "lost spark" ignition. This would suggest that it might not be able to support full sequential injection..... the problem that ultimately torpedoed the Electromotive "Opti Eliminator/SDI".

Any insight to whether the "add on" basic unit supports sequential - would seem logical that it could, because it is still using the optical sensor?? The question is can the soon-to-be-released Hall effect trigger feed the stock PCM?

Good to have another source, but more info is needed.
fred, it would be best to email their guy pvisser@***.net directly........he responds very promptly. please post what you find out.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:03 AM

Delteq Q & A

Thanks to everyone who was interested in getting more info on out Opti-Spark replacement offerings. To clear up a few questions I have seen so far:

YES, the unit works perfectly with sequential fuel injection. It shares nothing in common with the old Electromotive setup (except that both systems use 4 coils).

Yes, the unit fires two plugs at a time ("waste-spark"). The spark plug undergoing compression consumes about 90%+ of the coil energy, while the plug undergoing exhaust consumes 10% or less of the energy. This is a result of the electrical impedance being much higher at the plug undergoing compression. Essentially, visualize the two spark plugs as two resistors wired in series and connected to a voltage source. If one resistor is much larger than the other (as is the difference between the two spark plug gaps), then most of the energy will dissipate at the higher resistance.
To help fight the small losses associated with the waste-spark plug, the coils are drastically over-built. In fact, most spark plugs will fail by having the arc jump outside the combustion chamber before the coil runs out of energy.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions. I can't monitor all the internet forums out there, but if there is a thread going that needs a response form us, just email me and I will log on.

Best regards,
Pete Visser
Delteq
www.delteq.com
pvisser@***.net
Old 12-09-2003, 01:50 PM

thanks for coming to the board pete!

a guy from a national autosalvage yard quoted me $100 plus shipping for the northstar Ignition Module and Coil Pack.

so as long as that guy is quoting me on the correct parts, then i could do this whole system for $450.
personally, i think thats an excellent deal, compared to the LTCC or Dynaspark (which both still use the opti dont they?)

im ready to order this kit and give it a shot, but im going to wait for the stage 2 kits to be ready.......maybe i can be one of the beta testers.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:39 PM

maybe this won't add much value to the thread. Mabye a tiny bit.

I just went to HP Works, (Larry Strouth Sr. and Jr.) and saw the system and it is just as described. Visually it looks very high in quality. I met a guy named "JC" who is a partner in all this too. He's had the Opti-plus system on his z28 for 6 months and it's been working well according to him. I saw the z28 and I saw the system, (accept really all you see in the z28 is the opti-box as the coils are hidden under the radiator shroud).

I'm not purchasing yet due to being in the middle of a major cost TH400 conversion. But for $667, I think it would be a great value as an opti replacement. You get the new Northstar ingnition module, 4 Northstar coils, interface plug and play harness, "Opti-box gizmo" (the thing that replaces the LT1 ignition module and coil), plug wires, brackets and instructions. Probably a very good bang for the buck Opti replacement.

JC was still not entirely certain if I could use my Accell 300 CD ingition box and controler for window switches and nitrous retard.

seems like the 1 coil per plug would be ideal but this system is good too and certainly cost less. As said before, it's good to have another opti replacement option.

Karl
Old 12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by quickSS
the coils are hidden under the radiator shroud
Im just curious as to how long the plug wires are with the coils being this far away?
Old 12-09-2003, 07:58 PM

Ken, if I was forced to guess, I'd say the wires were 6 to 8" longer than stock LT1 wires. The coil pack was not at the top of the shroud or else I would have been able to see it. I guess it was 1/2 way down the radiator and on the right-passenger side and that is about the same plane as the actual opti.

I really feel for you fbody guys. You have no elbow room under the hood. I can actually stand in the engine bay and work on my impala ss LT1. rub rub.

Karl

Quick Reply: Ignition unit New Delteq opti Delayed / another optispark replacement?