Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

How can we improve this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

How can we improve this forum?

A few negative comments recently on the content and general conduct of the "Advanced Tech" forum.... let's hear your suggestion on how to make things better. Alternatively, let's consider the question "do we even need this forum"?

Opinions? And feel free to let it all hang out - this is your chance to vent. I'm open to suggestions, even to the extent that I wouldn't be upset if the suggested improvement is for me to be replaced. But that's not the main point... hopefully.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM

To be honest, I think the forum works just fine the way it is.
It has a specific purpose and plenty of healthy discussions take place in it.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 PM

we need to give out free digital midol to those who are b****ing about you or this forum. you are full of good advice and so are the others on this forum
Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Banned

Fred there hasen't been anything "advanced" here in a long time....

Post that make you think..... or guys like bret or dennis giving in depth explanations of stuff.....or discusions with different points of view or theories etc.

I'd say your fine, it just seems all the "advanced" people moved on......
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mdacton

Post that make you think..... or guys like bret or dennis giving in depth explanations of stuff.....or discusions with different points of view or theories etc.

Bret was banned from CZ28 almost a year ago, and in talking to him he doesn't seem to be losing sleep over it...

And Fred does a good job, it is just a shame that there isn't enough info coming in here to make Fred more than a "traffic cop" at times, just directing posts where they need to go.

I think this forum serves it's purpose...it's just maybe not that big a piece of the pie. But it is usually the only part of this board I check out on a regular basis.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Thumbs up

Kind of an odd duck because I've been around this site since early 99' when I first bought my car. Just lurked for the longest time and didn't even register until a week or so ago. I do remember the good discussions in this forum from guys like Bret Bauer, Chuck Riddik (sp?), OldSStroker and airflowdevelop just to name a few. Matter of fact, I met Chuck at Ennis same week I bought my car. He's the one that turned me on to this site. Then of course I remember Mindgame, who seemed to stir up lively 'debate' at every opportunity.

Can't say I don't miss the old forum that's for sure. My guess is that many of your 'advanced' members have moved onto other forums or just given up on internet forums in general. I don't think it's anything you're doing. Perhaps its just in the fact that many of the more advanced subject matter has been discussed ad nauseam and people have learned to search before they ask? Wishful thinking huh.

Then again, consider the forums available here at CZ28.com. Most members who are serious about high hp, engine theory and the like, are likely going to be either 'force induction' or 'nitrous' guys (they have their own forums). That or they're going to fall into the normally aspirated crowd that wants to do more than bolt some parts on and go fast. Not to sound like an *** but I believe most LTx guys would rather read a thread full of buildups with dyno numbers and simulate one of those builds. Then you have LSx guys that seem to be a bit more serious but then, they have a number of message boards to choose from, each full of members on the same level. So why would they need to come here?

I think the forum serves a purpose, if for nothing more than being a great repository of information.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 AM

I come in here from time to time just to try and understand the theory that goes on in designing heads/cams/setups/etc. but that seems to have gone away. I always thought that was interesting, but I guess most of the members who talked about that and explained it have left.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 AM

or not as many people build their cars anymore? its been 6 years since the camaro was new. not as many people going out and modding them, and the ones that are modding them have been for a few years now. im guessing this board if going to get going techy side again once the new camaro comes out.

love the site, dont change a thing.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:17 AM
sbs

Pretty much what I was going to say. Most of the people who had advanced knowledge and a willingness to share it have left this site.

My impression is that this forum in recent times is more work for the moderators than it is worth, since 90% of the posts in here these days have to be moved somewhere else. My suggestion would be to move the few active threads into other sections, and lock this section to new posts. Keep the old posts available for posterity.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:18 AM

I see nothing wrong with it, especially not you Injuneer. We've lost many knowledgable people here for you to go too.

I dont post here a lot mainly b/c im on yellowbullet though, b/c I know soooo many people were upset that im not here and all...LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Unfortunately, part of "advanced tech" tends to bring out strong opinions from very smart people.
Egos flare and well ... you know the rest.
It's too bad, but it does make for great search material. Lots of answers buried in the arguments.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:25 PM

I think the trouble here with the complaints is that people come in here with incredibly uneducated ideas, and when they get crapped on because there is just so much wrong with the initial idea that its not even salvagable then they get thier feelings hurt.

Alot of the time honestly I really hesitate to post anything here or in other sections of the board. Mostly because I get somebody who comes along with "backyard know-how" and tells me I am wrong because xxx, and 400 other idiots who back them up. Sometimes its just better to shake your head and keep your mouth shut. That or you give advice to someone and they just ignore it or tell you you're wrong without even thinking it over or looking at it closely.

I think the reason it is so dead in here is because the level of know how on this board is quite honestly very low on average. The biggest part of being able to have an advanced discussion is language and mastery of certain concepts, the majority here simply do not have it. They know certain trends due to the parroting that goes on here and elsewhere, but ask them to quantify it or speak about it analytically and you can hear a pin drop.... or they will simply say ... because.

Then there is the trouble of some of these ideas are very near and dear to the persons ability to put food on the table and as such they wont discuss it. Attitude has also been a great problem in the past here, most here will argue and resort to personal attacks when they disagree on something. In my professional experience that is a terrible way to work. I have no problem if somebody disagrees with my theory on something and usually I want to hear them out, even if I decide I still dont agree I may still learn something from thier pov. In general though most who were here were very hard headed and just went off the deep end when somebody said I dont agree with your THEORY (hey its just an idea take it easy). Now in the event somebody has stated hard scientific fact and then somebody says they are wrong and refuses to let it go, how can you help but get very pissed off.

I dont know, just food for thought.

Fred, I think you do fine, but you could probably stamp out the personal attacks in here a little quicker because once that starts it goes to hell pretty quick.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:01 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WS6T3RROR
Alot of the time honestly I really hesitate to post anything here or in other sections of the board. Mostly because I get somebody who comes along with "backyard know-how" and tells me I am wrong because xxx, and 400 other idiots who back them up. Sometimes its just better to shake your head and keep your mouth shut. That or you give advice to someone and they just ignore it or tell you you're wrong without even thinking it over or looking at it closely.
That holds some merit but if everyone feels that way then nothing is ever going to be discussed. People are going to 'ignore' or 'take' what they will... that's fine and I hate to sound cliche but, that's life. However I think it's important that a point be made, even if you know it's going to lead to a little debate. A lot of the older (good) posts included a little debate but it seemed that somewhere amongst all of that, some very good ideas/tech/discussion came out. Sometimes it even went on an interesting tangent which led to another thread.

We encourage the same thing where I work because a lot of people tend to complain in private, then bottle up, becoming disgruntled. The problems arise when people lose their temper or take things personally but... it takes two to make that happen.

Something else I've noticed that plays directly into Advanced Tech 'decline' is a lack of discussion board-wide! I remember coming to this board a couple of years ago and seeing 3+ pages of new posts in LT1 Tech, nowadays there's maybe a page. There is more discussion on the new model, which hasn't even come out yet, then there is on LTx/LSx cars and the board seems to have intentionally shifted in that direction.

Just an observation.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Banned

Get rid of injuneer turn it into a gentlemens forum with nude chicks

or we can just go to yellowbullet........
Old 10-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Get rid of injuneer turn it into a gentlemens forum with nude chicks

or we can just go to yellowbullet........
We have a winner!!!

I tend to agree with most of what's been posted. Many of the really sharp, true "high tech" members have moved on. I certainly don't count myself in that group. There were some true "cutting edge" engine gurus posting here, but most of them are gone. I'm just the traffic director.

Most of the people who can make major contributions are all over the other forums as well, so some items that could have been posted here get answered elsewhere. I'd like to see some of the Supporting Vendors contribute a little more to the advanced tech discussion. But then there's the risk of giving away some proprietary knowledge.

I'm sort of up in the air. I don't think the forum is serving much of a purpose, but I keep hoping some new blood will show up. Maybe its time to cut the cord.

Quick Reply: How can we improve this forum?