Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Any progress on the OPTI alternative

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Driving 8 individual coils in direct fire requires a cam position signal. If you are going to run batch fire on a crank signal only, you will need to use the E'motive 4-coil setup, firing two cylinders simultaneously.

The LTCC is not a "replacement for the Opti". It is simply a device to drive 8 ignition channels from the stock PCM and the Opti low res signal.
Apparently I misunderstood how the LTCC works. I assumed it took the output signal from the PCM to the ignition control module and somehow converted it to drive the individual coils. Apparently it still needs the low res signal from the Opti.

However, when I e-mailed Bob about it here's what he said:

The LTCC does not curently support a single crank sensor.
This is planned for a future upgrade.

Bob
Old 09-30-2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by sseeya
Apparently I misunderstood how the LTCC works. I assumed it took the output signal from the PCM to the ignition control module and somehow converted it to drive the individual coils. Apparently it still needs the low res signal from the Opti.

However, when I e-mailed Bob about it here's what he said:

The LTCC does not curently support a single crank sensor.
This is planned for a future upgrade.

Bob
Its main purpose is to remove the High res pulse from the opti, preventing corrosion and extra wear, in turn extending opti life and adding 8 coils for a cleaner spark.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by slowpoke96z28
what about the Dynotech piece? anyone used it?
Assume you mean the "Dynaspark" billet replacement. There are numerous discussion of this on LT1 Tech. Look in particular for the thread started by Jordon Musser.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
Its main purpose is to remove the High res pulse from the opti, preventing corrosion and extra wear, in turn extending opti life and adding 8 coils for a cleaner spark.
Doesn't remove the "high resolution pulse". It removes the high voltage spark distribution. Removing that removes the source of ozone generation, and its contribution to corrosion.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Doesn't remove the "high resolution pulse". It removes the high voltage spark distribution. Removing that removes the source of ozone generation, and its contribution to corrosion.
OK, I'm sorry that I was not more specific. I wasn't stating that the high res signal was removed altogether, its simply relocated outside of the opti...
Old 10-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by scoobysnax83
OK, I'm sorry that I was not more specific. I wasn't stating that the high res signal was removed altogether, its simply relocated outside of the opti...
It isn't "relocated outside the opti".

The only thing you do with the LTCC is remove the coil wire and the 8 plug wires from the Opti. The Opti internals remain unchanged... although you could remove the rotor if you were so inclined. The optical "module" stays right where it always was and functions just like it always did. The little wheel is still there, spinning around, the light emitter is still there, the light receptors are still there, the high resolution and low resolution pulses are still being generated and sent out of the case in the same way. It's just how these signals are used at the PCM/LTCC end that is different.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:56 PM

Gotcha, I know that the high voltage fires the coils, but I thought that the LTCC generated the high res signal for the PCM. I'm sure once I get my hands on one (real soon) I will understand it better
Old 10-02-2003, 11:33 AM

Jordan Musser bought/installed on of the dynospark units. He seems to be happy, as am I with my LTCC setup
Old 10-07-2003, 05:41 PM

Question

I don't have to remove my old OptiSpark for this Conversion? All the LTCC needs is the Optical Sensor right? Does it matter which way I connect the plug wires to the Coils?

Last edited by 1FstFormulaV8; 10-07-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:03 AM
Administrator

You need to leave the Opti case inplace on the front of the engine. You need to have the optical module in the case, and functioning. You do not need the rotor in the case (but you can just leave it in there, rather than rip the unit aprat to remove the rotor), and do not need to attach the coil or plug wires.

From the moderators point of view.... I would suggest that posts like how does it work and how do I install it be posted on "LT1 Tech". There are a growing number of knowledgeable people who post on that forum and have been using the LTCC unit for a while.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:01 PM

Optispark

If this module plugs into the optispark, then what happens to the original plug that went into the opti, and thent to the pcm?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:27 PM

it goes into the LTCC
Old 10-28-2003, 02:28 PM

Its more of a inline harness. The ltcc more along the line T's into the wires for the opti so the computer still sees the signals
Old 10-30-2003, 03:46 PM

Has anyone found out how many things you can run off the white wire, such as window switches, shift lights, tachs? I had 2 window swithes, a shift light and my dash tach running off my MSD. If I connect all these up with the LTCC (MSD removed) the engine shuts off. I haven't had a chance to connect one at a time to see how many will work.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by RonnieW
Has anyone found out how many things you can run off the white wire, such as window switches, shift lights, tachs? I had 2 window swithes, a shift light and my dash tach running off my MSD. If I connect all these up with the LTCC (MSD removed) the engine shuts off. I haven't had a chance to connect one at a time to see how many will work.
Interesting... although I'd wager that white wire is ment to be used to trigger a relay... then you can use as much current/devices as you wanted.

Quick Reply: Any progress on the OPTI alternative