Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

750HP LT1 Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 07:17 PM

750HP LT1 Daily Driver

Am I just dreaming or is it possible to get 750 hp out of a lt1 and still maintain street drivability. If so I know a supercharger is going to be needed, I was looking towards the ATI D-1 system with forged and billit bottom end and some incredible heads(32v dominion) or AFR's. Please don't hesistate to reply. I'm looking for good gas milage (over 20mpg) and reliable as a stock lt1 which will fireup most of the time, if not everytime. I will speend the loot, but I hate buying stuff twice.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:13 PM

Re: 750HP LT1 Daily Driver

Originally posted by WhoomWhaatWhaah
Am I just dreaming or is it possible to get 750 hp out of a lt1 and still maintain street drivability?... I'm looking for good gas milage (over 20mpg) and reliable as a stock lt1 which will fireup most of the time, if not everytime. I will spend the loot, but I hate buying stuff twice.
Define "street drivability".
Define "spend the loot" in terms of maximum $.
What is it you'll do with 750 hp on the street? "2F&2F"?

While almost anything is possible, your desires are pushing the envelope.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:28 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
Well, my turbo LT1 has 689rwhp and 701rwtq, and drives close to stock when not under boost because of a small cam (smooth and quiet, cruises in 6th at 1,400). As long as the weather is nice, I drive the hell out of it.

To be safe, I've been mixing 50/50 93 octane and 110 octane (3.49/gal), and I'm only getting about 13mpg because it's hard to stay out of boost

Nothing modified will be as reliable as stock. So far I've had good luck with my setup. Only problems I've had is a turbo bearing was noisy (which Innovative fixed for free), had an IC tube blow off once, and it ran hot until I put the factory shrouds back in. I drove it to the track and home twice with no major problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am pleased so far, but if something does break I won't be suprised.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:49 PM

good drivability would include good gas milage, a cam thats not to rough, solid even power thru out the rpm range and able to handle the hottest days and cruise around the streets.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:57 PM

I'll be fast enough to smoke this viper gts I see everyday by my house. hopefully only 10-15k.
Thats:
5k on 32v heads
4k on bottom end
3k on stuff I didn't know i needed(Jesel) shaftmount rockers
4k on the procharger
Plus some more i know
Old 06-29-2003, 09:58 PM

Location: I reached back like a pimp and smacked that LS1....
I'll be fast enough to smoke this viper gts I see everyday by my house. hopefully only 10-15k.
Thats:
5k on 32v heads
4k on bottom end
5k on stuff I didn't know i needed

I think you should make that 20k on stuff you don't know you need
Old 06-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

Originally posted by INTMD8
I think you should make that 20k on stuff you don't know you need
Agreed.

A few points to make-
You say 750hp do you mean @engine or rwhp? That makes a dif
You should be able to make 750 at the engine with just dominions, or with just a large blower.
A D1 and dominions dont work really well, Jon W. did that combo and only found 2psi of boost because of the heads...
Old 06-29-2003, 10:45 PM

750 rwhp. I thought 20k sounded more practical. Like I said i'm new to the hp game. I just want a camaro that will be faster than anything that comes out of any factory past(grand nationals, yenkos and boss), present(Z06, Viper, and porsche) and future(hemi powered car, new 05 vette and ferrarri/lambo, etc...

I would like a custom engine for that price instead of a calloway or ligenfeilter crate.
Old 06-29-2003, 10:54 PM

I've easily got 750rwhp covered, I was a Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler and I got an average of 20 mpg on the 3000 mile trip.

Turbo(s) are the answer
Old 06-29-2003, 11:30 PM

Ok lets be entirely realistic here. Plan for 20k and budget 40k.

I see many things you are missing. A 12 bolt comes to mind followed by a cutom built T56 that wont break the output shaft. Full suspenion will come in around $2k alone If done correctly. AND that is not even touching the Fuel system or New Fuel managment electronics(F.A.S.T., Motec, DFI you name it).

Heads? You know if you run the 32V heads(or can find a set and even get them working) plan on spending an extra 8-10K for all the extras to go with them. SB2 heads would be more realistic but still up there(Custom intake and headers plus parts). Here I would probably go with a set of REAL professionaly ported AFRs or such.

You seem to be cheaping out on the bottom end? To make the power you want it will take a real pro built bottom end. Not to mention you will REALY be pushing the block to the limits. there are a few doing it but "Streetable" does not come to mind when speaking of them

I have been planning for the same goal over the next few years. I have desided to go with a Dry sump and twin turbo's. I have played the blower game and the blower won. N2O has worked well for me also. At present I am pushing a 3,800Lbs car 11.7s and 400RWHP with a STOCK bottom end N/A. No I am not talking a custom built balanced and blue printed short block like Squims, I am talking the only change so far is bearings and a cam. I am even still sporting the factory .032 piston to deck!

There are a few people here who can realy guide you to the people you need to help you. Listen to them

Good luck on your project. Always remember when you are just about done it will change directions

Last edited by OneFlyn95z28; 06-29-2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:38 PM

Thats:
5k on 32v heads
4k on bottom end
3k on stuff I didn't know i needed(Jesel) shaftmount rockers
4k on the procharger
Plus some more i know

might as well scratch the 32v heads since no one even has them working yet, and theyre more trouble than theyre worth.
spend that 5k on custom worked 18* or 15* heads and a custom intake manifold instead.
and you forgot about the other 5k in labor you will need, unless you have the experience to build high hp race motors yourself.

the way i see it...........if you wanna be fast, for a relatively decent price.

boltons $1k
forged 383 shortblock $3k
afr heads with p/p job $3k
fuel sys $1k
12bolt, susp and clutch $4k
direct port nitrous 300hp $2k
labor and misc $3k

total under 20k

that should be around 400-450 rwhp on motor, which is more than good enough to smoke 99% of cars you run into, and a nice big shot of nitrous in case you run into someone really fast.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:50 AM
Administrator

I'm not sure why all the emphasis on heads. For 750HP, with a blower you don't need anything more than a good set of ported LT4 heads. Baxter made 925flywheelHP with Lingenfelter CNC LT4's and a Vortech intercooled setup. And it was extremely "streetable", based on my experience driving it.

750HP will also not make you "King of the Hill".... there are 9.0-sec street cars out there. The real issue is how do you put enough tire under it on the street..... sort of pointless. I had 690rwHP with the T56, and it was totally useless with anything other than well heated slicks.

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-30-2003 at 05:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:57 AM

Dreaming is nice, but as others have pointed out, the budget is way off. Of course, a major determining factor in the final cost depends on what work you will be doing yourself and what your sources for parts are. The more you want to combine ultra high-performance with "streetability" and reliability, the more it's going to cost. Reach a certain point (somewhere around 700rwhp in a 4th gen) and the issue becomes how much hp you can put to the grouind, not how much you can make.

I don't understand people who state a goal of "xxx hp". I could more see a performance goal, like reaching a certain ET. But it makes more sense to me to map out what the budget is, how the car will be driven, and spec it out to get as much out of that budget consistent with the intended use and let the numbers fall where they may,

Just IMHO.

Rich Krause
Old 06-30-2003, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by rskrause
Dreaming is nice, but as others have pointed out, the budget is way off. Of course, a major determining factor in the final cost depends on what work you will be doing yourself and what your sources for parts are. The more you want to combine ultra high-performance with "streetability" and reliability, the more it's going to cost. Reach a certain point (somewhere around 700rwhp in a 4th gen) and the issue becomes how much hp you can put to the grouind, not how much you can make.

I don't understand people who state a goal of "xxx hp". I could more see a performance goal, like reaching a certain ET. But it makes more sense to me to map out what the budget is, how the car will be driven, and spec it out to get as much out of that budget consistent with the intended use and let the numbers fall where they may,

Just IMHO.

Rich Krause

Ditto all of that.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Faster than a Viper??? I've seen a Viper make close to 500rwHP with bolt-ons. Add a decent nitrous/propane setup, with progressive controller and you're close to 700rwHP... saw the dyno.

Faster than a Ferrari or Lambo??? First curve in the road and your 4th Gen is toast, as the Lambo waves bye bye.....

I've seen a 1,500flywheelHP 1st Gen Lightnin', designed exclusively for street use.... 33" M/T sportsman tires under a tubbed bed with a 4-link suspension. Not worth taking to the strip... it has the aerodynamics of a cinder block. But it is one he!! of a street racer......

Got to be realistic..... .there is only one "fastest street car", and unless you have bottomless pockets, it isn't going to be yours....

Quick Reply: 750HP LT1 Daily Driver