3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What's the deal with the 3rd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 08:51 PM

Only thing I like about the mustangs is how they sound with a decent muffler. Put the exact same muffler on a f-body and they sound lame. They'll run circles around the mustang, but they sound bad doing it. Oh well, better to have muscle than sound muscular I guess.

Oh, interesting note, the TPI was originally designed to feed a 305, chevy never updated it to actually feed a 350, but it works pretty well on a stock motor. You guys should try one of Holley's MPFI manifolds that look like an original carb. manifold. I really like mine with a 1000 cfm throttlebody on it.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by mako350Z28
I must appologize. That was not the complete list of RPO codes that I listed before. I will not list the remaining codes, but according to the list in the rear compartment, my car lists the G92 and the B2L. Could I get some clarification on what exectly was the G92 and the B2L beyond what the RPO decoder says?

What gears, cams, ect...?
all i can suggest is thirdgen.org and then tech database where it lists like the camaro history etc.
i don't know, i always assumed g92 and b2l meant the same thing, and maybe they do, maybe they just put b2l just to help verify the l98, who knows
o, and i know that g92 atleast gives you the better gearing, and on the later 5.0 models, it gave you the more aggressive cam, but required the 5spd
Old 11-30-2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by 97WS6SCharged
Only thing I like about the mustangs is how they sound with a decent muffler. Put the exact same muffler on a f-body and they sound lame. They'll run circles around the mustang, but they sound bad doing it. Oh well, better to have muscle than sound muscular I guess.
Interesting. I always found F*rds to sound like absolute unimpressive hollow **** compared to Chevys, with or without dual exhaust.

Last edited by IZ28; 12-01-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by IZ28
Interesting. I always found F*rds to sound like absolute unimpressive hollow **** comapred to Chevys, with or without dual exhaust.
agreed

o, and sorry for stealing the thread zerotraction, let us know what you end up getting
Old 11-30-2003, 10:39 PM

Well, I like the way the Stangs sound. But I'll admit that it's hard to hear them when they're so far behind me.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:58 PM

My 92 went 13.8@98mph with no mods other than a muffler and corvette converter.

After switching to 3.73s, which are NOT too much gear for a TPI, it went 13.58@99.09 with no other mods and 105K on the clock. It runs with LT1s very well and even gets a few LS1s, it just needs good rubber on the ground to get all that TPI torque to the ground.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by jonesy91z28
Hey guys I have a 91 z28. When it had the tpi and l98 motor I modded the hell out of it and only seen high 13's. Changed over to a lt1 motor with ported stock heads, cam, and installed a carb instead of the fuel injection, and now run 11.6 on motor and 10.7 on the juice. So in my case any talk of how the two motors would run after you start modding. The l98 will not stay in the same area code as a modded lt1. Do like I did and keep the third gen cross breed it with a fourth gen , and have power and a car that hangs a curve.
so wait youre talking about a TPI 350 versus a carb'ed 350?i dont know if you realize this,but that comparison is totally incoherent and useless.the 2 induction systems are so totally different that to compare theiir different success levels is just plain dumb.what exactly does "modding the hell" out of your L98 consist of anyways?as someone already said im sorry you cant tune and turn a wrench.full exhaust,headers,and free mods will get you to the 13's any time of the day,and thats not even close to serious modding.you either messed something up on the L98 or paid someone to make your LT1 fast.its not like you went to a whole different motor.the LT1 is still a Gen 1 SBC just like the L98.few little differences but they are basically the same thing.throw the same exact mods onto the L98 that you did on the LT1 and chances are youll get pretty much the exact same results.
you,my friend,are an idiot
when it comes down to this 3rd gen vs 4th gen debate,theres only a few key items that you can truely look at:appearance,ease of working on the motor,interior comfort/ergonomics,and there might be 1 or 2 more i cant think of right now.you cant compare the motors unless you plan on keeping the car stock.the L98 and the LT1 are both 350 small blocks and share virtually the same exact aftermarket when it comes to engine parts,other than parts designed for their specific induction setup.but even that can be changed between the two.so the main question in the debate here should be...
which generation do you think LOOKS BETTER??cause they sure as hell have the same exact potential
Old 12-03-2003, 10:12 PM

Okay. First off you right comparing a tpi with a carb is crazy. The carb will flat run the tpi in the dirt. Second all I was trying to do was give the first guy some info all both motors so he would know what to expect. Okay how many 10 or 9 sec tpi's are on the board raise your hands? Thats right I bet that aren't any at most one or two. Now how many lt1's are on the board running 10, 9,or 8 second times. And you say that both motors are the same? Sounds like your the du*# a$s here. The numbers dont lie. Hey can you tell me what a stock ported l98 head will flow? I bet it wont even come close to a lt1 head that is why they run so much better. Horsepower is all about getting the air in and getting it out. You cant do that with crapy heads and intakes that dont flow above 5000rpm. Also I find it funny that everyone that has had something smart to say has such a slow tpi. Show me some fast tpi's and then you might have some ground to stand on.Last I haven't called anyone names untill now, but I hate to be called names by people that hide behind a computer. That is so being a pu@#y. So when you find one of those fast tpi's let me know. Because I am upgrading to lt4 heads, bigger cam, and more nos and 9's will be no promblem. God I hate my slow lt1.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:22 PM

91rsrider, I'm not flaming or trying to **** you off here, but you should do a little more research before you start saying an LT1 and an L98 are virtually the same or before you start insulting others.

its not like you went to a whole different motor.the LT1 is still a Gen 1 SBC just like the L98.few little differences but they are basically the same thing.throw the same exact mods onto the L98 that you did on the LT1 and chances are youll get pretty much the exact same results.
you,my friend,are an idiot
Yes, the two motors do look alike and they do share the traditional 4.00" bore and 3.48" stroke. They also share pretty much the same valve train components. Where these two motors start to separate is primarily in the intake manifold and the ignition setup. Duh, the LT1 manifold breathes a whole lot better than a TPI setup, I don't think I need to point out much more here. The other major difference is the Optispark ignition. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt since it's mounted beneath the water pump. But this ignition is much more accurate than the traditional distributor. Also, because of this ignition system, the front of the engine block is completely different from the traditional small block. Another area where the two motors differ is the heads. LT1 uses a reverse coolant flow. Yes it is possible to mount Gen 1 heads on an LT1, but it requires extensive modification to the heads.

As far as bolt on modifications making an L98 car keep up with a similarly modified LT1 car, you're totally off target. The LT1 has more compression, a better camshaft, and better induction than an L98 has. The main advantage of the 3rd gen with its gen 1 small block is that it's after market is much larger than the 4th gen. There are even aftermarket blocks for a Gen 1 SBC. You will probably never see that for an LT1. Even the LS1 has an aftermarket block already (LS6 and C5R).

Hey Jonesy, hope you got some decent pistons if you're planning to run in the 9's.

Last edited by 97WS6SCharged; 12-03-2003 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:42 PM

Hey chris thanks for the tech support. Nice to here from someone who knows what they are talking about. And I am running srp pistons so maybe they will hold. Cant wait to find out.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:55 PM

No problem. I'm planning to hit 9's or better with my twin turbo GTA, if I ever get it finished. I've got an Eagle forged bottom end with SRPs (I think they are SRPs, everything's sitting in my friend's shop) that have been coated by Swaintech.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:58 PM

why cant tpi owners admit that there slower? im a lt1 guy and i know the ls1 is a superior motor. but the lt1 is superior to the l98.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:05 PM
Pro

Originally posted by 93formula
why cant tpi owners admit that there slower? im a lt1 guy and i know the ls1 is a superior motor. but the lt1 is superior to the l98.
What are the variables included in your definition of "superior"?

Old 12-03-2003, 11:19 PM

I wasnt trying to stand up for TPI.i myself am not a huge fan of it compared to carbs and other types of EFI.i was merely stating that it was wrong of you to totally shun it just because your LT1 was more powerful after ported stock heads,cam,and carb swap.which you agreed on.i still want to know though what exactly did you do to your L98?and as i said had you dont the same thing to your L98 that you did to your LT1,the results would be about the same.L98 heads arent that bad when theyre ported,especially the aluminum corvette L98 heads.and it all depends on what kind of port job we're talking here.there isnt one port job to set a standard with.so you just cant compare them and say one is better than the other.its impossible unless the heads were ported by the same exact guy with the same exact port job.anything else is apples to oranges.
97WS6SCharged i didnt take your post as a flame i know that stock for stock the LT1 is a more competent performer than the LT1.GM let loose a little bit more and gave some hotter parts than they did with the L98.and rightly so.new body style,new generation,and they had to do something to keep from etting whooped on by those pesky 5.slow's that constantly kept beating up the f-body.but my post wasnt addressing stock parts.it was addressing the fact that jonesy was ripping on the L98 compared to a full top end built LT1.you might as well compare my TBI to a TPI motor.its just not fair.i know that the LT1 induction is superior to TPI when it comes to top end power.which is why many an LT1 intake swap has been done to thirdgens.its common sense for anyone thats looking for all out power.
and its totally possible to make a bolt on L98 keep up with a bolt on LT1.it just takes different parts.do heads,headers, and cam on a TPI and do the same to a LT1,while also using similiar parts.chances are the L98 will keep right up with the LT1,up until the higher gears where the TPI will start to choke.but it would be a good race none the less.the L98 is held back by weaker inefficient parts,whereas the LT1 has better designed,more efficient parts.such as the cam and intake.when you uncork the L98,you have just added the same potential to it that the LT1 has.it all comes down the the fact that theyre both 350's.the only thing holding them back from moving the same amount of air is the induction system.and that can easily be modified or totally changed on an L98
Old 12-03-2003, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by 93formula
God, if I had a dollar for every LT1( ) I've beaten with my STOCK L98, I'd buy an LS1.
The LT1 has an optispark. This and the fact that the reverse flow coolant hasn't proven itself to do anything accept make the aftermarket heads, water pumps, thermostats, and head gaskets cost more, makes modding a 3rd gen sound a lot more appealing than an LT1 to me.
They all have their ups and downs is my point here go pick on a ford.

Give me a break,
Charlie

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the 3rd Gen?