3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

What's the deal with the 3rd Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by ZeR0 Traction
I'm still interested in getting a L98 or LT1, I'm not into the whole quarter-mile cruncher thing. I just want a 13 (high or low, does not matter) daily driver that can compete with all of my friends turbo 4cyl and stuff like that.
You want a low 13 second car because then youll at least be able to beat out stock ls1's. Sugestions for that, replace intake with a holly stealth ram intake, cam swap, and either get your heads ported to all hell or splurge on a new set of heads. Probably looking at 2000 to do the upper half of the motor if all youre looking for is 13's? Then you can run a small shot of the spray if you want to. Just be warned the more powerful you make your car the more often you start breaking stuff this is not a cheap game. Depending on how your car has been treated a high 12 low 13 second run could blow a 13 year old tranny that has not had a good life. BE WARNED this is not a cheap game
Old 11-29-2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by ZeR0 Traction
Does it really matter what transmission I have? I mean I learned manual on my Eclipse and I love 5spd to death. But I really don't care if I can get an A/T into the 13s with a few bucks.
well, with the 3rd gen you have 2 options
5.7 with auto- only way it came from the factory
5.0 with either stick or auto-note- you really want the g92 package with this (gives you better gearing and a more aggressive cam, also, only available with the 5spd)
so either or, you want a 5.7 auto or a 5.0 stick

the auto holds up fine to the 5.7, but people have broken t-5's (5 spd in the 5.0)
that's the reason they couldnt put a 5spd in the 5.7, just because it couldn't handle it, and also, 305's are stressing the limits of the t-5 i heard, depending on the conditino of the tranny and if it's world class or not

now with 4th gens
you can have either a 6 speed (great gas mileage) or a 4spd auto
the auto is prone to breaking i heard, don't ask me why, but with minimal mods i don't think it's too much of a problem (sort of a hit or miss situation with the auto)
and the 6 spd...
it is a really really tough tranny, the only thing is...the rear end might break if you get traction, sort of the same for the auto but the 6spd magnifies the trouble
the 10 bolt rearends are weak on both 3rd and 4th gens, so i mean, there is a chance that with a manual, you could break it (again, hit or miss)

and to your question about 13 sec auto, it's a lot harder, and you get worse gas mileage
autos have 18% or so loss while manuals only have 15% or so
so it is easier (if you are a good driver) to get into the 13's with a manual

o...and the 305 5spd g92 3rd gen should go about the same quarter as the 350 (high to mid or so 14's)
sorry for the lengthy explanation
Old 11-29-2003, 01:39 PM

Take an LT1 engine ok...Put IRON heads on it that flow worse than stock, drop the compression to 9.3-9.5:1, have the cooling reversed back to the old flowing setup and then top it with an intake manifold that is 24" long from valve to throttle body and see exactly how much power it makes...OH! and make that 2 foot long intake about 1.25" in diameter and make sure there is a lot of mismatched pieces, some pretty casting lines all over, and even include some ridges behind the throttle body to screw up air flow for good measure.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by DarthIROC

And for the record, I dont think a late 70s or 80s vete will run circles around a 63. Those 70s ones after 72 were dogs. Get the hi-po 327 in the 63 and it should move pretty god.
This was just an example,was not to start a who's,or what is better,sure if you take a top of the line or one model an pit it against a lower model of something you can get all types of thing happening. This was just a general example which applies to MOST automobiles,if it didn't auto manufactures would NEVER,EVER sell a new car because the old ones are better than the new ones. Yeah this statment could start a whole new thread,and I sometimes agree that the older cars were built better,but the TECHNOLOGY is NEVER better than the new.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by jonesy91z28
Hey guys I have a 91 z28. When it had the tpi and l98 motor I modded the hell out of it and only seen high 13's.
My car and my son's car are modded to hell and he runs 12.80 and I run 13.01. Sorry you cant drive/tune/wrench/etc.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:07 PM

I'll only speak from experience not in general...I haven't lost to an LT1 "yet", stoplight, dragstrip or interstate.

I ran a 14.29 "Bone-Stock! and 5.7sec 0-60...just a real good tune up...

Modified I ran a "traction limited" 13.96 and 5.5sec 0-60...with these mods: cut air boxes/homemade RA, air foil, relocated MAT,T/B bypass, 160*t-stat, AFPR, ported plenum, true dual exhaust/"RPM" mufflers, 2500stall converter, B&M shift kit, double Roller timing chain set, Hypertech Therm-O-Master chip, Underdrive pulleys.
**Stock: untouched heads, cam, intake/exhaust manifolds, and shortblock.**

Last year I ran 3 LS1's that I remember at the track I lost to an Orange SS Camaro 6spd, and beat a Silver TA and a Black Z28 with A4's.

I ran a freind in a Burgandy LS1 TA to 120mph, and beat him 0-60 by 1/2 car, but by 120mph his rear bumper was at my front bumper. This was when my only modds were : cut air boxes,air foil, AFPR, T/B bypass, double roller timing chain, 160* T-stat,Chip ,B&Mshift improver kit, true dual exhaust; that's it!...(Yeah we ran a couple of times, same results...yes, he can drive too...)
The LT1 "lists" more hp, the L98 more torque, on the pavement they're a pretty close match...stock.
Most 3rd gens have a few things to deal with now, age/wear especially on valvetrain, smog cams that need replacing, ailing fuel pumps and dirty injectors. Fixing these will let them run with most anything...
Old 11-29-2003, 03:29 PM

Hey 92 rs hybrid z28. You must have a whole lot of money to waste to get a tpi into the 12.8's. And why that is pretty good I can run that fast and lift at the 1/8. Have the time slips to prove it. So like I said before a l98 will not stay in the same area code as a lt1. Hell then again maybe I cant drive. But the car was faster with a 6 speed than the auto I have in it now. 11.4 on motor with the 6 speed. Oh did I mention it ran 11.40,11.41,11.43 back to back to back. So maybe it wasn't the driving or tuning. Maybe it was that picece of **** tpi that was in the car. Anyway I dont see to many 9 second tpi's floating around on the board. So maybe you and your son are the only one's that can drive and the rest of us are just wasting are time with the lt1 and ls1. Lets all convert back to the tpi. That way the mustangs can start beating us on the streets again. Hell that tpi is how the 5.0 got such a good name to begin with.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by unvc92camarors
well, with the 3rd gen you have 2 options
5.7 with auto- only way it came from the factory
5.0 with either stick or auto-note- you really want the g92 package with this (gives you better gearing and a more aggressive cam, also, only available with the 5spd)
so either or, you want a 5.7 auto or a 5.0 stick

I have a 92 Z28 but according to my list of RPO codes, my car also came with the G92 option. BTW, I have an L98 with an auto tranny.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:57 PM

I like both...It's whay I have one of each. My 3rd gen can't hold a candle to the 4th in terms of speed, period. But my 4th gen isnt even an LT1 anymore... The way I look at it is this:

The 3rd Gen: The Last True Muscle Car

The 4th Gen: The First Camaro/Firebird Sports Car

Sure, stock for stock the 4th gen is faster. But the 3rd gen can be just as fast, if not faster. Remember, the highest top speed in an F-car with stock body and an actual F-car platform underneath is a 3rd gen Camaro, over 200MPH.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:45 PM

The one thing I hate about the 4th gen is that half the motor is under the windshield. I like working on mine, that's why I chose the 3rd gen. As far as which is faster, it varies. Both are good powerplants.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by HM Murdock
I like both...It's whay I have one of each. My 3rd gen can't hold a candle to the 4th in terms of speed, period. But my 4th gen isnt even an LT1 anymore... The way I look at it is this:

The 3rd Gen: The Last True Muscle Car

The 4th Gen: The First Camaro/Firebird Sports Car

Sure, stock for stock the 4th gen is faster. But the 3rd gen can be just as fast, if not faster. Remember, the highest top speed in an F-car with stock body and an actual F-car platform underneath is a 3rd gen Camaro, over 200MPH.
Isn't it 300?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by mako350Z28
I have a 92 Z28 but according to my list of RPO codes, my car also came with the G92 option. BTW, I have an L98 with an auto tranny.
does it have B2L?
that was supposed to be the g92 for the 5.7 i thought, and the g92 was for the 305's
i might be wrong though, so
but if i'm right, you could have a 305 and not know it, or it could be a swapped in 350
o well, it's still a fast car right?
Old 11-29-2003, 06:40 PM

When someone generalizes about 3rd Gens it's meaningless. I mean you might run into a variety of motors, hp ratings, induction systems, gearings etc,etc,etc...........It was a kinda Burger King of car making Era, "they made it your way." You could order one any way you wanted it, econo, sporty or down right Muscular!....
So you can't say all 3rd Gens are slow, if all you know is a 305 tbi with an econo package.
I know some 305 3rd Gens that can "kick @$$ and take names too"...you just can't tell 'til you run it..."You haven't seen them all if you've only seen one."(or a few)

And the last time I checked my TPI was only 19" from the intake valve to the plenum. It sounds long but it was reversion tuned to add the same effect as a 2psi blower! and just as header primaries need to be smaller to keep torque, so do the individual intake runners on the TPI. There not as restrictive as most say. After I fixed my weak valve springs and fuel pump, I could pull darn near 6000rpms...I tore it down to freshen before I got back to the track this year, then got delayed by a "mass layoff", but I'll be back up and running soon...and at least a full second faster.

You can't go around quoting "peak" HP numbers, it's the average that moves the car. Peak numbers are only good if you have a "stick" and keep it in that RPM range.
How long does you car really spend in the 5800rpm+ range???
If your set up right you don't have to....
I like LT1's too, my cousin owns one, a Black Z, Sharp Car. I don't like how the seats feel or how half the motor is under the dash tho.

Last edited by 90rocz; 11-29-2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:26 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Originally posted by jonesy91z28
Hey 92 rs hybrid z28. You must have a whole lot of money to waste to get a tpi into the 12.8's. And why that is pretty good I can run that fast and lift at the 1/8. Have the time slips to prove it. So like I said before a l98 will not stay in the same area code as a lt1. Hell then again maybe I cant drive. But the car was faster with a 6 speed than the auto I have in it now. 11.4 on motor with the 6 speed. Oh did I mention it ran 11.40,11.41,11.43 back to back to back. So maybe it wasn't the driving or tuning. Maybe it was that picece of **** tpi that was in the car. Anyway I dont see to many 9 second tpi's floating around on the board. So maybe you and your son are the only one's that can drive and the rest of us are just wasting are time with the lt1 and ls1. Lets all convert back to the tpi. That way the mustangs can start beating us on the streets again. Hell that tpi is how the 5.0 got such a good name to begin with.
Geez, got issues? I'm just saying if you "modded to hell" a 350 TPI and only got it into the high 13's, something isnt right. And why did you waste all the money on an LT1 block just to throw an old and outdated carb on it?
Of course we know TPI isnt the fastest form of EFI. But it works for what I want, and its a lot cheaper to mod and maintain than an LT1 or LS1 is.
And before you start blasting my dad for being slow, he used to race in NHRA Pro Stock running low 9's with a 69 Camaro Z28.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:36 PM

First off I dont think I blasted your dad. I think that he made the comment About someone not be able to drive or wrench. Next if your dad ran 9's that's great ,but I will bet you that it wasn't a tpi motor. Next I picked up the lt1 motor for 500.00. Ported the heads my self. Installed a dual plane intake from chevy, installed a 306 comp cam and installed a 750 demon and ran like a bat out of hell. I believe that the whole thread was about if people thought that the lt1 motor was better than the l98. So I was trying to give the guy a simple answer based on my experence with both. And the next thing I know I have someone telling me that I cant drive, tune, or wrench. I dont think I am the one with issues I believe the guys with cars that run about as fast as imports are the one with issues. Anyway opinions are like @#$holes everybody has one. It just so happens this is mine. Hope you have a nice day and sometime in the near future get to enjoy the back view of a lt1 or ls1. Hell maybe even a import. Good luck tuning and I will just stick to my old out dated carb and run 10's

Quick Reply: What's the deal with the 3rd Gen?