3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

tank fuel pump delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:52 AM

tank fuel pump delete

i have an 83' Z28 that im changing the crossfire injection out for an intake and carb setup.im in the process of taking the fuel pump out of the tank and making a regular pickup to go in place of it,my question is what to do with the wires going to the pump? just cut them off? i dont want to blow the thing up! also any tips or ideas on what to make a filter out of for the pickup.thanks
Old 10-27-2005, 02:14 AM
zjr

Re: tank fuel pump delete

Yes snipping them will work. So will changing the tank to a carbed version. They run about 40 where I am. If still insistent on using your tank leave the pump in the tank and get a fuel pressure regulator.You can also add a swith to run the pump which can also act as a fuel shut off point as well. You would be able to adjust the pressure near the carb and skip having to run new hose.
Jsut a thought.

Last edited by zjr; 10-27-2005 at 02:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:54 PM

unplug the wires where they come through behind the back seat. Remove the whole harness as opposed to just snipping them inside the tank.

As for the pump I pulled out the stock one and replaced it with a piece of hose to act as a pickup. Then mounted a Mallory 140 and ran -8 line up to the firewall where I have an Aeromotive regulator. Then -6 to the carb.

I would NOT leave the stock pump in and regulate the pressure down. Many have done it and used a Mallory 4309 bypass regulator, but it's definately not the way to go.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:23 PM
zjr

Originally Posted by NastyTA
unplug the wires where they come through behind the back seat. Remove the whole harness as opposed to just snipping them inside the tank.

As for the pump I pulled out the stock one and replaced it with a piece of hose to act as a pickup. Then mounted a Mallory 140 and ran -8 line up to the firewall where I have an Aeromotive regulator. Then -6 to the carb.

I would NOT leave the stock pump in and regulate the pressure down. Many have done it and used a Mallory 4309 bypass regulator, but it's definately not the way to go.
Yes pulling would be better but I was hoping he wasn't talking about snipping it on the inside of the tank.

O.k with out sounding like either I am trying to pi$$ you off, or being arrogant None of which I am.
Why would the stock tank not be the way to go?
As for the piece of hose in the bottom of tank not good idea should have a strainer (sock inside the tank at end of pickup) to keep crap from entering the line.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by no1b4me
i have an 83' Z28 that im changing the crossfire injection out for an intake and carb setup.im in the process of taking the fuel pump out of the tank and making a regular pickup to go in place of it,my question is what to do with the wires going to the pump? just cut them off? i dont want to blow the thing up! also any tips or ideas on what to make a filter out of for the pickup.thanks
Hi...you may want to save yourself all the trouble....i did this to my '89 and did completely away with the fuel injection. I put in a carb but still am using the fuel pump. I placed the Mallory MAA-4309 (from Summit) at the fuel lines in the engine compartment and ran the steel braided hose to the carb....I also placed another fuel filter between the carb and fuel pressure regulator just to be safe on debris. I have had no problems what so ever.....if you need pictures let me know.....
Old 10-30-2005, 11:38 PM

the old fuel pump in hte tank is dead anyway so using it is not an option.as for removing the whole harness that the wires go through i really cant do that cause the wire going to the fuel level gauge is in the same harness with the pump wire.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:06 PM
zjr

You have a few options then....
Either -
1) Put a fuel cell in and go from there. I really hate that one. The stock tank works fine.

or

2) Add a catch can style filter like the one's used to seperate water from diesel fuel, then plumbing from there will keep crap from entering pump let alone carb. Would eliminate the need for the stock pickup tube then you could use the hose inside the tank to draw from.
I use this on mine all the junk is easily removed and it works great.

or

3) Follow the usual and put a in tank pump in that will provide the appropiate pressure. This is how my 89 is set up. There is a few different ones avail that are set up for carbs only. Though have run the injected pump with the regulator and stock lines with no problems other then the pump was 9 years old and died of old age.
I didnt have much faith in the stock lines though they seemed a little small and well after years of use leak prone.

Either way use good quality line and resist the urge to run the whole sytem on just rubber line. Matter fact the more rubber hose you stay away from the better.

Also seeing your system is ready for upgrades then add a larger line and fuel pressure regulator. ( This way you can be sure not ot exceed the 5-7 lb max on any given needle and seat in any carb. As far as that goes most carb setups usually like no more the 7 lbs. ) Though that can be tested by slowly raising the amount of pressure and looking and smelling for an overrich situation as well as reading the plugs, or vaccuum gauge. Better yet would be to have access to a air fuel gauge reading at the tail pipe. All work and wil get you close.
The larger line will prevent restriction while adding a little extra fuel in the system. Remember Days of Thunder well that was about the only truth to the whole movie. Just dont over do it in the larger size. 7/16 or equivalent is tops.
Be sure to keep lines away from heat sources and to secure them to the car.

Last edited by zjr; 11-03-2005 at 09:37 PM.