3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Starter or Ignition Coil???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:47 AM

Arrow Starter or Ignition Coil???

Posted this a week ago got some feedback just wanted to ask if the prob could also be the ignition coil.

Been having issues with the car starting up after I get off the highway. For example just got home from work heat guage is showing the car at about 240 shut it off. Go to start the car 10 min later nothing. No crank no nothing its as if the battery was dead (its not though)

After about 40 min or so the car starts up. The heat is def affecting one of the starting components. Aside from the possibility of it being the starter as previously mentioned could it also be the ignition coil on its way out?

This week I am going to get a starter from autozone but if changing the coil is a smarter and cheaper bet i would rather do that
Old 08-27-2004, 12:18 PM

Re: Starter or Ignition Coil???

If it were the coil the engine would crank, but not start. If the engine does not even crank over, when it has to be the starting system.

P.S. This sounds like a classic example of heat soak. After shut off the engine accessories accually get hotter than it is when running. Chevy's have suffered from this for many years. Get all your starting system components check out. And maybe buy a heavy duty starter.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 08-27-2004 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Castro
Posted this a week ago got some feedback just wanted to ask if the prob could also be the ignition coil.

Been having issues with the car starting up after I get off the highway. For example just got home from work heat guage is showing the car at about 240 shut it off. Go to start the car 10 min later nothing. No crank no nothing its as if the battery was dead (its not though)

After about 40 min or so the car starts up. The heat is def affecting one of the starting components. Aside from the possibility of it being the starter as previously mentioned could it also be the ignition coil on its way out?

This week I am going to get a starter from autozone but if changing the coil is a smarter and cheaper bet i would rather do that
Car should not run higher than 220°f on the highway if you're cruising at 60/70 mph. Parking with the front wheels against parking blocks and curbs will damage the Air Dam underneath the car, the Air Dam isn't just for looks, it's for scoop air into the radiator. The ignition coil does not affect the cranking circuit. heat soak can effect the Starter as well as Fuseble links, on my 88' there's 2 connected to the starter.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:45 PM

Nope air dam is fine. On the highway my cars temp is fine below 220 put when i get off then hit local streets the temp quickly goes up. By the time I get home the temp is around 240 with the fan working to cool it down.

Hmm fusable links did not know that.

Its def a heat soak problem could the starter just be getting old and the heat is having a greater impact on it?

I also know for a fact that tops of my 2 cats are no longer there rusted off. Maybe the heat from that is radiating back upto the starter since there kinda of close just my thinking out loud.