3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Intermit. starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 PM

Arrow Intermit. starting problems

Ok, here is the deal. Sometimes ill go to start my camaro and it will just "click" it will do this a couple of times or just once and then start right up. Ive replaced the Positive bat cable cause it looked worn, I put in a new starter, Alt, and battery and checked all the grounds. Im not sure if the grounds are where GM put them. The battery is grounded to the fender on the passenger side on the side by the battery, and the firewall is grounded to the intake manifold. Both ground wires are new with new connections. Some days it will start up everytime, somedays it will just hesitate and turn and somedays it will just click a few times everytime you turn the key then it will fire right up. Im at a loss. do you think it could be my ignition module or anyother part of the ignition, either key or whatnot? Or maybe the ECM is wanting to go bad? Im at a loss any help would be great thanks.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:01 PM

Re: Intermit. starting problems

Originally Posted by staleyracing
Ok, here is the deal. Sometimes ill go to start my camaro and it will just "click" it will do this a couple of times or just once and then start right up. Ive replaced the Positive bat cable cause it looked worn, I put in a new starter, Alt, and battery and checked all the grounds. Im not sure if the grounds are where GM put them. The battery is grounded to the fender on the passenger side on the side by the battery, and the firewall is grounded to the intake manifold. Both ground wires are new with new connections. Some days it will start up everytime, somedays it will just hesitate and turn and somedays it will just click a few times everytime you turn the key then it will fire right up. Im at a loss. do you think it could be my ignition module or anyother part of the ignition, either key or whatnot? Or maybe the ECM is wanting to go bad? Im at a loss any help would be great thanks.

If you are just getting a click, it has GOT to be the starter, or a weak battery, or poor battery connection to the starter. The click you are hearing is the plunger in the starter solenoid. The solenoid is getting power, but is unable to activate the starter motor for some reason. The other possiblity is the ignition timing is way off which is unlikely. It's not the ECM or Ignition module, or plugs, or wires, etc.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Time for a new starter....
Old 07-09-2006, 09:34 PM

I just put a new starter on it. And it was doing the same thing with the old starter. I put on a new positive battery cable also. Since the key has that chip in it, could it be going bad? Maybe a bad connection?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by staleyracing
I just put a new starter on it. And it was doing the same thing with the old starter. I put on a new positive battery cable also. Since the key has that chip in it, could it be going bad? Maybe a bad connection?
you can get a bad starter, i did. i got a new starter for my iroc and 2 days later the car wouldnt start easily. id hear a rapid clicking and if i had the hood poppped i would see an intermittant spinning of the drive pullys. got a rteplacement(lifetime warranty ) and havent had a problem since.

jsut get a replacement chances are the silonoid is bad.
i say this because the symptooms you are describing fit that diagnosis to a T.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:07 AM

get a new starter, but this time you should use one of those heat blankets that wraps around them and is secured w/ either a strap or velcro. Summit store

I used to have this happen to me all the time, especially if i would have the car running for a while go, in somewhere quick and come back out to start the car and all it would do it click. My solution for this for a while was just to carry a pry bar around and when it would happen just whack the starter a couple of times and then give it a shot.

Usually what happens is the solenoid heats up, the plunger will only go about 3/4 of the way out and then get stuck. Hitting the starter will jarr the plunger loose so it can go back into its housing.

after using the heat shield w/ a new starter i never had the problem again.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 AM

I dont think its a heat issue cause Ill go to start it in the morning and it will do the same thing.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:04 PM

Well, I just got off the phone with the shop. They said they benched tested the starter they put on and it was bad. Something bout a magneto...So, I go pick it up tonight and we will see. Thanks for all your help.