3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

How can yout ell when your engine isn't "matched" properly?

Old 07-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Banned

Re: How can yout ell when your engine isn't "matched" properly?

^lol
Old 07-14-2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by klumb15
i would say yours is matched pretty good...
If this is in regards to '86 350's combo, I don't see how you could make a statement like that with the info given. He doesn't know cam specs, just that it's "big". He knows nothing about the heads besides they are factory irons with a 2.02 intake valve. Those are two pretty important pieces of info when deciding on a combo.

Did you build this motor yourself? Have someone else build it? Was it in there when you bought the car?

- Justin
Old 07-14-2005, 01:37 PM

It was in there when I bought the car. That's why I don't know a ton about it. Like I said, in a few days I'll try to pull the cam and find out exactly what it is. Also, when I first posted this thread it wasn't neccesarily about my car, jut any car in general.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:42 PM

Make sure you get the casting numbers from the heads too.....

- Justin
Old 07-14-2005, 02:03 PM

Will do. Can you tell me where I'd find those though?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:59 PM

i'm just saying the match has to pretty close and not that far out of whack...because wouldn't you agree Tru2Chevy, that that car would totally suck if it was mismatched that bad....he said that the car runs good, its peppy, and has a good amount of power...that tells me that it's matched close enough to make a decent street car for not knowing all the specs on everything...plus, if its matched right, its matched right, if its not, what are ya gonna do....you'll end up digging way into the motor and your pockets to insure everything is copensetec if its not...
Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by '86 350
Will do. Can you tell me where I'd find those though?
when you pop the valve covers, look down on the head and they will be cast in to the area by the rockers. there is prolly a name for that area, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Klumb - Sorry, I must have missed where he said things were running well, I thought the opposite was true.

- Justin
Old 07-18-2005, 11:44 PM

hey guys, quick question. I didnt do all the work in my Car so i dont even know if the stuff is matched right. All i know is, it doesnt seem like im getting the power i should be getting with the stuff done to it. If i get it Dyno tuned and such, can they let me know if its off or what? All i know is the the cam is a 3/4 inch cam with Hydraulic Lifters in my 350 4 bbl. I dont really know what CFM Holley street Avenger I have. Let me know guys.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by carlo1170
hey guys, quick question. I didnt do all the work in my Car so i dont even know if the stuff is matched right. All i know is, it doesnt seem like im getting the power i should be getting with the stuff done to it. If i get it Dyno tuned and such, can they let me know if its off or what? All i know is the the cam is a 3/4 inch cam with Hydraulic Lifters in my 350 4 bbl. I dont really know what CFM Holley street Avenger I have. Let me know guys.
I would try to find out what you have from the person who built the motor. I very much doubt that you have a 3/4" lift cam. That would pretty much be limited to a drag-only motor spinning to 8 or 9 thousand RPM, and it would be a solid roller, not hydrolic. Huge lift cams are generally not very streetable.

- Justin
Old 07-19-2005, 11:24 PM

well thats what my dad said. I gotta see, because i think all my papers are in my Safetly Deposit box in the bank.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:52 AM

I'll bet he said a"3/4" cam, not a 3/4" cam. Lol. Thats a term old people use, it means 3/4 race cam. like its not a stock cam, and its not quite a race cam....its a 3/4 cam. Pretty silly talk if you ask me. No offense to your dad, but some of the "older" guys with limited experience in today's technology don't match up parts very well. Stock heads like the old 882's and similar versions are junk and some old guys insist they are worth gold to the gods, throw a 3/4 cam in with them, and a 4bbl carb and they think they are gonna lite up the world with it. For instance, i have this local engine builder...i was raised and taught that he was a smart cookie and a great engine builder. I did some research when I had the old 89 formula and wanted to have an engine built. I go to him to see what he recomends even though I have a pretty good idea what I want. He recomends an old 355, 4 bolt mains, a GM crank, some pink rods, and TRW pistons( dome pistons). I was shocked...he said a price for this shortblock is over $3000...i didnt know what to say. He said to run some Dart Iron eagle and that they were better than the AFR heads I had already purchased. I already had purchased a Mini-Ram as well, cuz it was a TPI motor...he told me I could never make power with that style intake and to get a carb. For a cam, he wanted some monster roller, i asked about Dynamic compression ratio...and his response sealed the deal for me. It was "huh". I ran out laughing histarically, sure the guy built lots of 10 second hemi's and big blocks in 1969 but he wouldn't know what it took to make a 10 second car powered by a SBC in todays world. Not to knock our dads, but the older guys that arent up to date with todays standards, and don't want to change are the people that mix up combinations. Heck my dad is a professional diesel technician, can fix anything...has had alot of relativey fast cars, and he sometimes has this mentality because he has been out of this game for so long. This point is kind of worthless i guess, pretty much off topic but i guess I needed to vent about mismatched combo's. I am pretty sure some of you other young guys know some older guys just like I am describing anyways.

Last edited by 89385formula; 07-20-2005 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 PM

yeah i definitely here you there. I think i might go to a mechanic down the block from me today and get a second opinion. Hes got 5 camaros, and one setup for drag, so he knows em pretty nicely. I'm just gonnna go and have a talk and see if maybe he's got a suggestion.