3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Can someone explain the intake system of a V6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 10:26 AM

Can someone explain the intake system of a V6?

Any website or anything. I'm working on my intake for fun and want to learn about my engine. THere are 3 parts that I don't understand, the MAF sensor, the sensor right after the filter (temp sensor?), and a thin hose running from the pipe in front of the engine intake running to another part of the engine block. If anyone can explain what they do (mostly that last one I described) I would really appreciate it. One last thing, can the temp sensor be move to a different part of the intake, like after the MAF? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2004, 01:00 PM

MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor - it tells the computer how much air is going into the engine so that the computer can calculate how much fuel to inject for a proper air/fuel ratio

IAT = Inlet Air Temperature sensor - tells the computer how hot the incoming air is for the purposes of fuel mixture and spark timing calculations

PCV inlet hose - allows clean filtered air to enter the crankcase as the PCV system sucks fumes and oil vapor out....it pulls from after the MAF so that the computer will factor the PCV into the air/fuel calculations

You can relocate the IAT anywhere you want...in fact it's a common mod to do (moving it away from the engine reduces the temperature it reads which effectively richens the fuel mix slightly.) The PCV hose needs to be after the MAF, otherwise it'll throw the computer's air/fuel calcs off.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:17 PM

THANKS SOOOO MUCH! Now I just need to find a 3" diameter pipe for my intake. All of the stock plastic is cracked or on its way out!
Old 06-03-2004, 07:24 PM

Might want to look into a K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) for your year/engine. It's a K&N filter assy. plus much better intake plumbing to the throttle body than stock. It's going to be more expensive than building your own, but there's no fabrication involved and is basically an afternoon bolt-on.

On my similar 91 RS Camaro with the 3.1L V6 the stock intake plumbing to the throttle body wasn't very restrictive, but the stock air filter housing benefitted greatly with the addition of a K&N replacement filter (that drops into the stock air filter housing, not to be confused with a complete FIPK kit) and from removal of what I called the "nose" on the front of the stock air cleaner outter housing. It's a necked-down snorkel looking thing that the air flows through to get inside the air filter housing, just behind the passenger side headlight. At it's narrowest point it was maybe as big around as a half-dollar inside- real small. Removal was as simple as removing the air filter housing from the car, drilling out the 4 rivets that held it to the air filter housing, chucking the plastic "nose" into the trash and reinstalling.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:02 PM

go to camarov6.com and the mods encylopedia
you'll find a make your own intake setup
i did it on mine and it greatly improved the power since the stock airbox is very restrictive (course i have a different setup, no maf sensor or anything, i'm speed density)
but i think it's basically the same
only costs about 60 bucks and an hour to make it happen
a very cheap way to do it

course, i've now found out that the quickest way to get power....is to just get a z..
Old 06-04-2004, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the post Damon.

I found a new way to get power, a 79 camaro with a 350 in it that my friends is selling for $1500!