3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

92 camaro starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 06:03 PM

92 camaro starting problem

i have a 92 camaro z28 with a 5.0 tpi. sometimes it will start fine, and other times it acts as though you are trying to start it without pushing in the clutch, meaning the starter is completly dead, but everything else works. i have been told that it could be the starter relay or the ignition switch on the top of the steering column. out of the 5 relays on the car, i have no idea which is the starter relay, and when i find it, if i do, how do i know if it is bad or if it is just my starting problem again? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:03 PM

Re: 92 camaro starting problem

I'd check for loose connections first. Especially at the battery posts. Don't go by looks alone. It can look ok, but be loose or internally corroded.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:42 PM

check your starters ground connection..it could be corroded, common problem on older vehicles..
Old 08-26-2004, 12:27 PM

i know that there is power at the starter, i saw someone test that. i had to put a new positive wire that runs from the battery to the starter and is also the return wire from the alternator; this was done a few months ago. i also puit in a new clutch sensor in early july and that fixed it for about 10 days then it came back again. does anyone know if there is a starer relay? the dealer tells me there isnt, but some people sell a relay. i would appreciate any info anyone can give me as i am running out of ideas and tired of pushing my car to start it
Old 08-26-2004, 12:53 PM

Does it have problems starting when hot? I know everything in the world is different but a friend of mine who had a Mustang and a T-5 would have tons of problems with his starter getting "Heat Soak" Try a shield or a mini starter.. We replaced the wires.. still no fix.., then replaced the starter worked great for awhile but once it's " heat soaked" she runs out again.. finally took a ministarter and a heat sheild just for extra protection to fix the problem.. Our last hope was to start heat tapeing the headers...
Old 08-26-2004, 12:57 PM

i dont think it is a heat soak problem because sometimes it starts fine with no problems at all. lately it has only been starting about 10% of the time, really sucks. i cant seem to find any pattern to when it does or doesnt start. thats why i want to know if there is a relay or something like that that would be easy to check
Old 08-26-2004, 03:56 PM

Hi check your diode in your key is it worn down on the sides? Also I could be your ignition. See your car has a vats system if it doesnt detect the diode it wont send power to your started or your fuel pump. That was my problem a while back. You can go to your dealer and have a key made and try that or just go get a new ignition switch
Old 08-28-2004, 09:07 PM

The clutch being pushed in sets a switch to open, to allow the starter to engage, Correct?

If the switch were malfunctioning it could work sometimes, but be on it's way out.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Black Venom
The clutch being pushed in sets a switch to open, to allow the starter to engage, Correct?

If the switch were malfunctioning it could work sometimes, but be on it's way out.
Probably closes the switch. The relay should be behind the driver's side kick panel. The resistor pellet in the key is read by the anti-theft module which in turn energizes the starter relay & fuel system.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

Look for the relay with the following color wires: Yel, Pnk, DkGrn, Blk/Yel. That is your starter relay according to Chiltons. You could take your starter out for testing or hook up a noid light to the purple wire that comes out of your neutral safety switch. That tells you that the starter is getting a 12V signal to begin cranking. If you get 12V there and the starter doesn't crank, it is either the starter or the wiring to the starter. Move the noid light wires further downt o the starter and see if it lights up and doesn't turn. If so, it is your starter. If not, it is your wiring to the starter. BTW, this purple wire to the starter is your solenoid wire not the positive cable. Could be bad solenoid. I did that test in my 91 Vette and found that the starter was shot.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:59 PM

Well in this guys case. He has replaced the starter three times, and the entire wiring harness going from the starter, alternator,and battery. When It's working, It fires right up no problem no stumble no nothing. That's what is weird, when working it works like new, when not working it just doesn't at all. He has tried a spare key he got from the dealer and it did not change anything.

Does anyone know what Relays are in the engine bay? And which ones are on which fenderwell?

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Black Venom
Well in this guys case. He has replaced the starter three times, and the entire wiring harness going from the starter, alternator,and battery. When It's working, It fires right up no problem no stumble no nothing. That's what is weird, when working it works like new, when not working it just doesn't at all. He has tried a spare key he got from the dealer and it did not change anything.

Does anyone know what Relays are in the engine bay? And which ones are on which fenderwell?

Thank you.
Engine Bay relays on firewall behind Power Brake Booster:
1) Fans
2) MAF
3) MAF Burn off
4) Fuel Pump.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:39 AM

I haven't checked myself, but somebody told him that he doesn't have a MAF on his 92. I think they said it was speed density.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:34 PM

i have read in at least one place that i do not have MAF on my car, and i have not seen it anywhere. there is definatly no big MAF sensor like on an ls1, but if it's somewhere else i wouldnt know for sure. i did take it somewhere, and they told me the starter, which i replaced 3 times, is bad and did not work when they hooked an exterior power source to it. hopefully thats all thats wrong