2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

A 1ltv8 anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Only time will tell how well they run against an LT1. I know a lot of the LT1 4th gen owners on here get irritated at even the possibility of the new v6 running with one, but there really aren't any solid numbers on the v6 cars to make any conclusions. In theory they seem like a good run with an LT1, although the LT1 would probably more forgiving of driver error.

I would also speculate that you are at least somewhat correct. The 4th gens more "extremist" attitude probably pushed a lot of potential buyers away.
I just finished modding the hell out of my LT1 for this exact reason. Granted, the LS3 isn't any trouble for her either........so long as they don't mod it

There is nothing wrong at all with a 304hp v6. Hell, I'm considering one myself.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by JasonD
Nothing wrong with wanting something. I myself would like to see a "budget" C6 Corvette. Basically, a stripper 'Vette that has no frills, no leather, all performance for thousands less than the ordinary one. I won't hold my breath, though.
This might be sacrilege, but I'm wondering if there might ever be a V6 Corvette? I've read on here that the LLT has the capacity to reach or exceed 4L, so it would probably make at least 330 horsepower. In the 3100# Corvette that would still be a very fast car.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
This might be sacrilege, but I'm wondering if there might ever be a V6 Corvette? I've read on here that the LLT has the capacity to reach or exceed 4L, so it would probably make at least 330 horsepower. In the 3100# Corvette that would still be a very fast car.
I dont we will ever see it. It would be a decent performing car but i think v6 and Corvette together would be too much for people to handle lol. I dont think it would ever find a demographic either. Most Corvette buyers, when new, are older men or younger guys who are making enough to get a cool first toy, niether one of those would want a v6.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by supernova1972
Yes most guys here do think as normal customers. Just because we are gearheads doesnt mean we dont. 360 hp in this car wont give you 30mpg. At most it would gain one or two. No one cares if you know d*** well GM could do it. Where are yopur facts to back this up? And as stated, why doesnt the G8 GT with its 362hp do that? If GM may have been able to make an v8 Camaro that got 30mpg they would have. But they didnt, they made a great powered v6 that gets 29 and a mid level v8 that gets 26, and a top level that has yet to be released. Once again you arnt using any facts to support your 30mpg in a 2 ton v8 car can be done argument.
What facts do you want? Its not like you don't know its going to happen. Within this decade there will be a 30+mpg V8, and you and I both know it. Whether GM will make is another thing. To drop it in the camaro, would just be another way for GM to bring its image up. Which they have been trying to do for 2 decades.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Nothing wrong with wanting something. I myself would like to see a "budget" C6 Corvette. Basically, a stripper 'Vette that has no frills, no leather, all performance for thousands less than the ordinary one. I won't hold my breath, though.
It could happen.... V6's twin turbo's were in small talk, of course by the negative response it was shot down, but a lightweight, low option, corvette could pop out the blue. I mean did you honestly think GM was going to release the ZR-1 when you saw it as a Blue Devil Concept.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by King Moose SS
What facts do you want? Its not like you don't know its going to happen. Within this decade there will be a 30+mpg V8, and you and I both know it. Whether GM will make is another thing. To drop it in the camaro, would just be another way for GM to bring its image up. Which they have been trying to do for 2 decades.
How do you know they can, right now, make a 30mpg v8 Camaro? You say they can, but a car at close to the same weight, with a v8 powered the same you want, cant. Nobody knows if that is going to happen. You say the car companies are but Ford is already going towards its Ecoboost v6 instead of a more fuel efficiant v8 and with the CAFE standards, i bet you will see more of that soon. I dont see how you are arguing with me when i say you dont have facts by saying, Everyone knows it will happen someday.

And besides what they do in the future has no bearing on the argument here that bringing back an old v8 with new changes would sell and be cost effective.

Last edited by supernova1972; 05-13-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM

It could happen.... V6's twin turbo's were in small talk, of course by the negative response it was shot down, but a lightweight, low option, corvette could pop out the blue. I mean did you honestly think GM was going to release the ZR-1 when you saw it as a Blue Devil Concept.
I dont think it will happen because a Corvette isnt the premier american sports car anymore, its been turned into the premier luxury sports car. GM is much more concerned with pleasing the "I want to go fast and be comfortable" crowd than the "I wanna go fast" crowd.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:15 PM

How do you know they can, right now, make a 30mpg v8 Camaro? You say they can, but a car at close to the same weight, with a v8 powered the same you want, cant. Nobody knows if that is going to happen. You say the car companies are but Ford is already going towards its Ecoboost v6 instead of a more fuel efficiant v8 and with the CAFE standards, i bet you will see more of that soon. I dont see how you are arguing with me when i say you dont have facts by saying, Everyone knows it will happen someday.

And besides what they do in the future has no bearing on the argument here that bringing back an old v8 with new changes would sell and be cost effective.
I'll place a $5 bet on it, if you want to

Maybe in the short term there be a V6 push. But the V8 didnt go away in the 1970's. And its not going to go away now.

I dont think it will happen because a Corvette isnt the premier american sports car anymore, its been turned into the premier luxury sports car. GM is much more concerned with pleasing the "I want to go fast and be comfortable" crowd than the "I wanna go fast" crowd.
Yeah, this one I'm not going to argue about... Srry Jason, but if you want a cheap fast slimmed down sports cars you can always check out GT-R's
Old 05-13-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
If you drive 1100 miles a week, the price difference between regular and premium is $12.70 per week.
Exactly. I just did the math for someone who bought a V6 due to fuel economy and he only drove 540/wk. Difference was like $4 if all highway or $9 if all city, based on manufacture suggested MPG and $2.50/gal gas.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:30 PM

I'll place a $5 bet on it, if you want to
OK once again, facts. Im not asking an opinion or what you think will happen. You say they can, Im saying show me.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM

OK once again, facts. Im not asking an opinion or what you think will happen. You say they can, Im saying show me.
Don't need to. Its going to happen, and when it does I'll make sure you know.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:00 PM

Don't need to. Its going to happen, and when it does I'll make sure you know.
Wow. You still dont get it. Do you think i said all of that because i dont think a v8 30mpg car will ever come out? You are dense.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM

Wow. You still dont get it. Do you think i said all of that because i dont think a v8 30mpg car will ever come out? You are dense.
No I dont get you, your like my Ex, uber complicated. I though you did all of this just to say GM won't make a 360hp 30mpg car, within the next decade.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM

You brought this to the last statement because every legitimate response you answered with a statement that didnt really answer the last question and took it a little farther away from them. A small v8 wont give the Camaro 5 more mpg, it wont be a free retrofit that wouldnt be passed to the customer(meaning it would cost as much as the ls3/l99), and it would run about the same time as the v6 because of the added weight/lower hp.

Not complicated, The orginal question has been answer time and time again, you and the OP just dont seem to want to accept it.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:59 PM

I know that... I was thinking of posibilities and "what if's". But all my thoughts were in reasonable range, and they could be done. The question on this thread was "could there be a mid-level V8 engine in the camaro." And I said yes, and you said no. Everything else we've bickered about comes from that.