2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: The Z/28's benchmark should be....
2008 M3
45.69%
2008 GT500
54.31%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

The Z/28's benchmark should be.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
To be "best in class", you still need to compare it to something.
Compare it to all of them.

Take the M3's feel/responsiveness, and the GT500's power (albeit poorly used) and other best aspects of other vehicles in the class. Put them together, and you got yourself one bada$$ Z/28.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM

jg, benchmarking doesn't mean making a carbon copy of something like some third rate Chinese auto company. Benchmarking means examining certain metrics which are good and applying them to your product.
True, however the benchmarking needs to make sense and be within reason. You need to also include the audience you're building the product for. There's no sense in benchmarking a jet fighter's performance if you're building a Cessna. (I know more extreme differences, but I think you'll get my point.)

I wouldn't want a Z/28 which is a clone of an M3. For one, I'd like it to have a smallblock V8. For another, I'd like it to look like a Camaro and not a BMW. I also could do without alot of the optional fluff an M3 has.
FWIW, the M3 also has a V8. A smaller higher reving V8, which is the direction I think GM needs to take in the long run, but still...

But an M3 does have an incredible "feel" which makes it special. That is what I'm talking about!
I won't disagree with you there. However it is still a small car. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a Malibu sized performance coupe to go against the 3-series; I just don't believe it would sell... yet.

The GT500 has none of that. It's a basic big motor in a box. It handles pretty pathetically and doesn't even deliver that impressive of a 1/4 mile time. It's an underperforming pig. And if you want to talk about cost - most of those chumps who bought one the first two years it was out - paid M3 money for them.
I can see what you're afraid of. However unless I'm mistaken, the Z/28 Team fully intends to make the 2011 Z/28 succeed where the GT500 has come up short.

I guess we'll find out in a couple more years.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Very expensive - It costs $135,000+.

Luxury -

Looks pretty nice to me. The seats even have electronic controls for the side bolsters. The console has some nice carbon-fiber trim.

The Camaro isn't in the same league as this car. Power may be similar, but the similarities end there.
Missed this bit, didn't you?

"I did not mean in price"

Perhaps Corvette should stop benchmarking ferrari's top cars and set their goals on something more attainable, like a 350z....?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:13 PM

Given the two choices I voted M3.

What I really want is for the Z28 to follow the same formula that the Z06 followed as compared to the base vette.

Lighter weight
Better handling
Better Braking
More power (if the above can also be achieved)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:34 PM

The Bench mark is and should be the Mustang GT500. That is the class leader and the one that needs topped.

Now just as the G8 is now being compared to the BMW now we should expect it. The Camaro will be a very good car and enough to compare but not top a car twice it's price. Because twice the price there comes more refinment and features you just can't get in a lower price car.

But The Camaro will beat it's true competitor the Mustang while still being seen as a bargin compared to the BMW.

Read this weeks review of the G8 and it will give you an fair comparison to expect. Also the Review of the Vauxhaull on Top Gear this week. It may be a simpler car with less technology but they still loved it and loved the price.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by holeshot
Given the two choices I voted M3.

What I really want is for the Z28 to follow the same formula that the Z06 followed as compared to the base vette.

Lighter weight
Better handling
Better Braking
Couldn't have said it better. I am far from impressed by the GT500.

I actually plan on using my steering wheel if I get a Z28

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...PDEnomusic.flv

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...ighlight=gt500
Old 04-15-2008, 10:49 PM

Ahahaha...live axle FTL.

Wow...yeah GT500 is NOT the benchmark...
Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 PM

Z28s benchmark should quite obviously be the M3. As light a weight as possible with somewhere in the low 400s of HP.

SS would be a fitting though non-ideal answer to a ~4000lb 500hp mustang with all the trim to go with it.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 PM

"Benchmarking" and "Z/28" are key words, not M3 sized or weight and not Camaro in general.
In that case, who here wouldn't want a Z/28 that handled like an M3.
An M3 on steroids!
BMW is world renown for it's great handling cars.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
"Benchmarking" and "Z/28" are key words, not M3 sized or weight and not Camaro in general.
In that case, who here wouldn't want a Z/28 that handled like an M3.
An M3 on steroids!
BMW is world renown for it's great handling cars.
The last Z28 was a fine match for an M3 in any race, eh? Since then, the M3 went on steroids, just going for more guns isn't necessarily the way to win (yes i like mixed metaphors). Sometimes you have to get smart to win...

btw, some would say that Z28 has always been a world class handling car too. In fact, that is the only retort the 'rose colored glasses' crew has for the what, 10 or so years of no >200hp V8s available in Z28, is 'but it still could handle any car of the era on a road course'

Kinda ironic if the modern, 'return to its roots' Z28 was a lesser competitor to germany and japan's finest then a 190hp L69 Z28 was.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:04 AM

Very true. Third Gens brought word class handling ability and nice breaking along with good power at the time (L98) without being too heavy. Hopefully that formula hasn't changed since the whole high revving small block 1st Gen formula is pretty much out. The problem is that what was fast then and now are two different things and a 245HP/345TQ real SBC can't do it anymore or without heavy safety equiptment. There's almost no way to truly fix it. The car needs a serious diet or should stay N/A.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
True, however the benchmarking needs to make sense and be within reason. You need to also include the audience you're building the product for. There's no sense in benchmarking a jet fighter's performance if you're building a Cessna. (I know more extreme differences, but I think you'll get my point.)
Camaro a cesna? M3 minus the exotic part is dead on Z/28. replace that twin turbo and other unreliable expensive exotic crap with a reliable small block and give the car the feedback and handling of the M3. Done.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:44 AM

I think the GXP G8 Coupe should benchmark the M3 since they seem to be more in the class than the Camaro is. Camaro seems to be built on nothing but performance and the G8 seems to be built of performance with a little touch of luxury.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
The last Z28 was a fine match for an M3 in any race, eh? Since then, the M3 went on steroids, just going for more guns isn't necessarily the way to win (yes i like mixed metaphors). Sometimes you have to get smart to win...

btw, some would say that Z28 has always been a world class handling car too. In fact, that is the only retort the 'rose colored glasses' crew has for the what, 10 or so years of no >200hp V8s available in Z28, is 'but it still could handle any car of the era on a road course'

Kinda ironic if the modern, 'return to its roots' Z28 was a lesser competitor to germany and japan's finest then a 190hp L69 Z28 was.
I detect some sarcasm in your post, but for their day, the 3rd gens were world class handlers. In '83 and '84 the L-69 Z/28's cleaned the Porsche 944's clock in showroom stock racing - in fact the Z/28 gave Porsche such a beating that they decided to quit the series.
And when the factories were backing teams at the 24 Hours of Nelson Ledges (quite a big annual event in the '80's), the L-69 Z/28's would clean everyone elses clocks as well - including factory experimental Mustangs and anyone else you would care to name..
Old 04-16-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by holeshot

Lighter weight
Better handling
Better Braking
We are in 100% agreement in our philosophies.

Quick Reply: The Z/28's benchmark should be.....