2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Will You Still Mod Your New Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:36 AM

This will keep some people from buying that is for sure. For others they will take the sit back and wait attitude. they will want to see what is weak and what breaks.

Then there are the people like me. When i got my Z28 it was under full factory Warranty. By the time it was up she was running 14Psi of Procharger boost. I had broken the Rear end, ripped the center out of the TQ Converter and blown two engines. I never ask GM to pay for my mistakes but Did ask them to cover the rest of the chassis that was not effected by the Power train changes I had made. Like when the steering column caught fire while I was driving down the road! For me as long as they cover the rest of the little stuff I will be happy

I have modified GTOs and Z06s right off the show room floor for people. Those people will never change the way they play As long as they can Blow away the competition they are happy. . . . And when they can't? The next round of mod's will start. . . .

Last edited by OneFlyn95z28; 04-06-2008 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Spelling. . I can't
Old 04-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal to void a warranty based on aftermarket modifications to the car, unless the warranty provider can prove that the modifications caused the failure.

If it's a good tune, there's no way that this policy would hold up in court.

I'm not worried.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal to void a warranty based on aftermarket modifications to the car, unless the warranty provider can prove that the modifications caused the failure.

If it's a good tune, there's no way that this policy would hold up in court.

I'm not worried.
The manufacturer has much better lawyers then you. And it's pretty easy for the manufacturer to make an argument along the lines of (for example) "transmission damage was caused by the removal of torque management that was built into the tune specfically to reduce wear and prevent damage" Even a judge who doesn't know how to check his oil can understand that concept.

The same argument can be made for increasing power output. And then there's the "abuse" catch all too. If they find rubber in your wheels wells, or even uneven tire wear between the front and back as well as other patterns of abnormal wear, good luck convincing them you did not beat on the car.

Oh yeah, and tuning your car could also be considered tampering with an emmisions control device, and the associated fines there are heavy too.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:08 PM

I can't see how anyone could seriously get pissed about this. If you built the car, gave it a warranty in the setup you tested and built.....and then had someone modify it, **** it all up, and try to hold you responsible.........doesn't seem so outlandish....does it?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
The manufacturer has much better lawyers then you. And it's pretty easy for the manufacturer to make an argument along the lines of (for example) "transmission damage was caused by the removal of torque management that was built into the tune specfically to reduce wear and prevent damage" Even a judge who doesn't know how to check his oil can understand that concept.

The same argument can be made for increasing power output. And then there's the "abuse" catch all too. If they find rubber in your wheels wells, or even uneven tire wear between the front and back as well as other patterns of abnormal wear, good luck convincing them you did not beat on the car.

Oh yeah, and tuning your car could also be considered tampering with an emmisions control device, and the associated fines there are heavy too.
I can already here the Manuf. Lawyers: " they broke it because they drove it and we told them not to."

**** that. It's getting more and more tempting each time **** like this comes up to just refuse to buy a new car, period.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
So your running 12.9 in your goat and that is with a stock tune right?
Old 04-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Disciple

Wasn't planning on modding my 5th gen and still don't.

Over the last few years I have developed and immense amount of respect for OEM engineering and validation and I intend to rely on it when I'm thousands of miles from home.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:50 PM

I was told over drinks one night that GM was planning to back the 5th gen Camaro with a much larger array of GM aftermarket Performance parts then previous generations.

Example: Look at the aftermarket parts/packages you can buy for the Cobalt SS.

I’m going to stick to the GM parts as much as possible, even for tuning. This way I can have my cake and eat it too, even if I do have to spend a few hundred dollars more.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:42 PM

It all depends how much money you have and what you risk. Personally, I am going to wait a year after its deput....by that time the new camaro should have most of its quirks corrected. I may be old fashion, but I dont buy the first year on a new model. Also, by next year I am sure there will be another version than the base V8 or whatever higher option packaged they initially released. For those with the money or mortgaging your house for this ride, good luck and congrats.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
So your running 12.9 in your goat and that is with a stock tune right?
I'm not sure f you were just trying to be a smart ***, but actually i did run my first 12.9 with a stock tune in some nice cold november air. I backed it up after i tuned it in ~30' warmer air. But i'm not the issue here. The issue here is people with no personal reponsibility.

For example, a better question might have been "did you get that 12.9 by granny shifting on cold tires that didn't even get a burnout?" To which i'd reply, "hell no, i wheel hopped to death doing burnouts then powershifted the *** right out of it on many runs before i got my first 12" You might have even asked if i ever accidentally powershifted from 3-2 and mechanically over revved.

But like i said, personal reponsibility. If i broke my car driving it that way. *I* would have paid for it. I wouldn't have dreamed of asking a dealer to warranty my engine or transmission, I know what i did to it. Which is why i find it laughable that there are people who mod and abuse their cars, yet think the dealer should be on the hook to fix it because they can't accept responsibility for their actions.

If you defeat mechanisms the factory put in to save wear and tear on the car, just accept it's going to break eventually and be ready to pay for it when it does. Ditto for if you significantly mod your car or take it to the track. No reason they should have to eat the loss for your fun.