2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Will You Still Mod Your New Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM

The battle between mods and warranty has been going on since both were created. It's all who you know as it usually is. I've had mods on all my Camaros and have had warranty work done. I've had friends get warranty work done and they had open headers and O2 sims. I've also heard about people getting their warranty voided for an air filter/lid or 160 degree thermo.

Like the police and traffic laws the GM dealers have lots of power over your warranty and it's up to their discretion to determine who is abusing the system and who has a legitimate issue.

This is just the latest round in the ever more complicated game.

And I won't loose any sleep over it.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:13 PM

If they can hack an Iphone in 5 min... I'm sure someone will come up with a solution for his too
Old 04-01-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by donot_4get
If they can hack an Iphone in 5 min... I'm sure someone will come up with a solution for his too
Lets jsut hope GM doesnt "brick" my camaro
Old 04-01-2008, 02:48 PM

I see you are in Socal..................
GM sent a Catalytic Converter replacement for all 2000-2002 TAs less than 120,000 or 10 years if there were problems with it. I began to have continuous 002 code for the past months.

I purchase a TA with 111,000 and didn't know this last year, thus, I called it in and explained to them at GM.

A GM rep gave the Okay... dropped the vehicle off for replacement at dealership shop and didn't have to pay.

A couple days later, GM called me up and mentioned that it was not warranted for being over 120,000 and that dealership mentioned CAT had been tapped.

Too bad M'ther F'er, for dealership shop replaced Cat already and released the vehicle.

Thus, GM is serious with this warranty issue these days. Careful or you will be stiffed with the bill. If the vehicle has been in production for 5 years with good backup, I would not mind a mod or 2... tinkering with new production is just too risky on your part. We know that Catback system improves the vehicle to incorporate the mean V8 Rumble, but is it viable enough to kill that warranty? It's a big toss up I must admit.

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
The battle between mods and warranty has been going on since both were created. It's all who you know as it usually is. I've had mods on all my Camaros and have had warranty work done. I've had friends get warranty work done and they had open headers and O2 sims. I've also heard about people getting their warranty voided for an air filter/lid or 160 degree thermo.

Like the police and traffic laws the GM dealers have lots of power over your warranty and it's up to their discretion to determine who is abusing the system and who has a legitimate issue.

This is just the latest round in the ever more complicated game.

And I won't loose any sleep over it.

Last edited by MatthewRox; 04-01-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by MatthewRox
I hope the Camaro will have close to the following true dual pipe setup:

Since I just purchased this vehicle this past weekend, I won't be going for an aftermarket exhaust system any time soon for it will kill the manu. 100,000 powertrain warranty. If this is the case of what I can't do, I hope Chevy manu. the Camaro properly so that we are happy upon ownership without the necessity of voiding the warranty.

The G8 is a new make for the US.... along with the Camaro, especially if it gets and share the LS7 with the G8 GXP next year. Something that is recent in production, is risky to chance it...... You can can end up paying more out of your pocket than the monthly payment of the vehicle.

As I was posting in the LS1 board.... from a stop, my vehicle hauls... but from a roll from cruise, the Fuel Management System lags as it switch gears to pick up the RPMs of acceleration. A tune will affect this system GM has in place.

Think twice about the consequences of modding your vehicle.
the GXP is slated to get a 402 hp LS3.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:49 PM

On top of that there are making more difficult for backyard mechanics to work on your car.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MatthewRox
I see you are in Socal..................
GM sent a Catalytic Converter replacement for all 2000-2002 TAs less than 120,000 or 10 years if there were problems with it. I began to have continuous 002 code for the past months.

I purchase a TA with 111,000 and didn't know this last year, thus, I called it in and explained to them at GM.

A GM rep gave the Okay... dropped the vehicle off for replacement at dealership shop and didn't have to pay.

A couple days later, GM called me up and mentioned that it was not warranted for being over 120,000 and that dealership mentioned CAT had been tapped.

Too bad M'ther F'er, for dealership shop replaced Cat already and released the vehicle.

Thus, GM is serious with this warranty issue these days. Careful or you will be stiffed with the bill. If the vehicle has been in production for 5 years with good backup, I would not mind a mod or 2... tinkering with new production is just too risky on your part. We know that Catback system improves the vehicle to incorporate the mean V8 Rumble, but is it viable enough to kill that warranty? It's a big toss up I must admit.
That sucks no doubt about it. Like I said I've seen GM and Ford can get a rare hair where the sun doesn’t shine and void out a warranty for a very minor thing. I've also seen guys come in with much worse and get full warranty work. It all depends on the dealer and the car/owner.

I think in your case GM seems like they intended to do the work but once they found out the CAT had been tampered with they chose to then replace the part but not under warranty. But on the bright side the CAT was changed and the code stopped being set and had they informed you at the time that it would not be covered (like a normal business) you probably would have debated weather to let them do it or have to search for the CAT on your own. Either way it needed to be done if I’m following your story correctly.

I don't know what I'll upgrade on the 5th Gen yet as I don't know what I have to start with. But this info about them voiding warranties because of PCM recalibrations won't stop me I'll just make sure I have a back up plan.
And the game will continue as those who do recalibrate the PCM will find a way to do so under warranty or make it capable to go back to stock or else they won't get much business. GM will then go further to figure it out and it will keep going back and forth as it has since this whole thing started.
People said OBDI and II was the end of performance mods on the computer cars too.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:06 PM

Not Reasonable

Yah you got that right....... Initially I received the Okay from the GM rep to confirm with dealer for replacement... then they back peddle I guess.

More so that I'm saying GM will put their foot down and may not be reasonable despite the case.

Matt

That sucks no doubt about it. Like I said I've seen GM and Ford can get a rare hair where the sun doesn’t shine and void out a warranty for a very minor thing. I've also seen guys come in with much worse and get full warranty work. It all depends on the dealer and the car/owner.

I think in your case GM seems like they intended to do the work but once they found out the CAT had been tampered with they chose to then replace the part but not under warranty. But on the bright side the CAT was changed and the code stopped being set and had they informed you at the time that it would not be covered (like a normal business) you probably would have debated weather to let them do it or have to search for the CAT on your own. Either way it needed to be done if I’m following your story correctly.

I don't know what I'll upgrade on the 5th Gen yet as I don't know what I have to start with. But this info about them voiding warranties because of PCM recalibrations won't stop me I'll just make sure I have a back up plan.
And the game will continue as those who do recalibrate the PCM will find a way to do so under warranty or make it capable to go back to stock or else they won't get much business. GM will then go further to figure it out and it will keep going back and forth as it has since this whole thing started.
People said OBDI and II was the end of performance mods on the computer cars too.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:07 PM

I don't know what I'll upgrade on the 5th Gen yet as I don't know that I have to start with. But this info about them voiding warranties because of PCM recalibrations won't stop me I'll just make sure I have a back up plan.
this isnt saying the end of performance mods, this is saying tuning a vehicle may more likely than before void your powertrain warranty.

also, if you read the thread, its stated that changing the PCM wont work.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 PM

I can see GM putting a big sticker over the engine and says "Void if broken"
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Since a cam and a stall converter are going in, I`m really not all that worried about the tune being a problem for the dealership as far as warranty goes....
Old 04-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Hopefully the 'vette guys will find a "hack" by the time the Camaro gets here.

I'm not too worried...if something breaks, obviously it wasn't strong enough and needs upgrading.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
this isnt saying the end of performance mods, this is saying tuning a vehicle may more likely than before void your powertrain warranty.

also, if you read the thread, its stated that changing the PCM wont work.
I did read the thread and did note the PCM swap point, thanks. I'm just not going to speculate as to what future tuners will or won't be able to do to get around this. If the need is large enough someone will step up with a better mouse trap and we'll all move forward as we did in OBD I and II. For a cost I'm sure.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:19 PM

u can bet im modding mine as soon as i get it not to crazy tho just headers, cam, air intake, tune
Old 04-05-2008, 12:19 AM

This sounds kinda iffy in the law since unless GM can PROVE the tune killed the part, they have to warrenty the part. Sounds like they are going to try this though till someone bites them in the *** and fights it.

I have no issue with them voiding the warrenty on modified parts, but voiding it on the whole valvetrain is just a stupid blanket statement.

Quick Reply: Will You Still Mod Your New Camaro?