2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Top Gear on the 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:35 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

They're still pissed we threw their tea into Boston Harbor.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM

I love Top Gear and I think Clarkson is hillarious. He's mean to everybody, American cars, German cars, Japanese cars.

In that one episode, he really bonded with that $800 3rd gen though. I think he started to love it.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 AM

Clarkson is a self promoting egotistical blowhard…

I guess that explains a lot.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 AM

HE pisses me off too because it's not that what he says is anti US but because is sooooo ignorant and generalized (maybe for humor sake?) It's funny because in a previous episode it might be a corvette episode he talks about all the American achievements I think he mentions the Saturn rocket and mentions other achievements and then rags on the corvette. How many other countries have set foot on the moon? All we are good at is herding bison? It's so ridiculous.

They are just pissed because they aren't a super power and they think because they are "Europeans" they are somehow sophisticated and cultured.
I really think that they just don't "get" muscle cars. They may not know much about American automotive culture or just how many long expanses of open highway we have. Either that or they do know and just talk crap so their ignorant audience eats it up.

What I really love is the Z06 and the ZR1 and maybe the Camaro, what do they say about that? Those things smoke their cars and cost a ton less.
They do rag on british cars quite a bit too though. And when they start bagging on US cars I just think about pieces of crap like the Jensen Interceptor or various electrical fires in british cars and I smile.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 AM

"What if this turns out to be good?"
"It wont."
"But what if it does?"
"It wont."
Okay, does this not say something about how subjective this guy is? He completely dismissed it before even driving it. It's a Chevy, so it must be crap. This guy is a professional? That is just bad journalism right there, dismissing the car before knowing the figures...and then when he is given good statistics like the engine and independent suspension, he still dismisses it and, big surprise here, promotes Europe.

I read everyone elses comments, saying how he just tells the truth. Im sorry, but the truth is not a factor when he bashes a car before driving it especially after the SS just made a decent enough laptime on the Nurberring to be a viable competitor...and for a fairly good price.

Yeah, he does bash most other countries as well, but he seems to take a particular liking to making fun of Americans and on top of that I seem to never hear him say anything negative about British cars and god knows that they have their flaws too. The man is so bias it makes me sick. Meh, I think he is just venting...he must feel a little butt-hurt after the ZR1, a CHEVY, slayed at the NURBERING last week, beating all of his precious British cars

Am I mistaken or did our papa-bear take the number one spot on the list of fastest times?
Old 07-28-2008, 05:53 AM

you guys crack me up
Old 07-28-2008, 07:45 AM

lol.. you guys are funny... this is a British car show.... as such they have to appeal to their British audience... making British jokes... There is a pilot of TOP GEAR USA... look it up it will of course... have American humor for their american audience.

I think it would be great if TOP GEAR original and TOP GEAR USA take shots at each other.

Anyway, I want Clarkson to test drive the camaro so he can shut up his mouth. BTW, i love the show.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

It is a great show, I love watching it when I can.

I think the Camaro threatens them.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mushasi
I used to feel like you, REALLY hate Clarkson. But as mentioned by the OP, some of the stuff he says is true. He just doesn't say it diplomatically. And sometimes the truth hurts...

And you really have to remember this: his jerkiness (is that a word?) is what sells the show...I worked on a pilot for "American" Top Gear. It tanked baaad, I'm glad it never got picked up. It takes a serious skill to be a "jerk" like Clarkson.

And by the way, these guys own American cars. Clarkson has a Ford GT, and Richard owns a classic Mopar and a Mustang (unless he sold the Mopar to buy the Mustang).
It's true, it takes a lot to be a jerk like Clarkson. He gets away with a lot. However that is what makes the show good.. I know he will love the Camaro when he drives it and have very little to say bad about it.. Perhaps he will talk bad about the weight and that's it..
Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 AM

I really like top gear. Its just Clarkson's thing to bash us. He did drive a third gen from miami to New orleans (a 305 TBI RS). He bashed it and us but at the end talked about how much he loved it and how much better his car was than either of the others. The ford GT thing it seemed like he had a legitimate gripe. It basically kept reporting the car stolen. Also on the GT he always loved to say that the americans claimed to have built the GT but it was a british design, lotus did the suspension work, aston martin supplied a lot of the parts blah, blah, blah. I wonder if he realizes that the old GT40 was basically a failure until Carrol Shelby and the americans took over the racing program. Loves to make fun of the corvettes use of leaf springs as well.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 AM

Eh, its all just part of his deal now. The funny thing is that he tends to enjoy the crap out of them.
He ripped on the Z06 before he drove it. He said Americans cant make cars go around turns. He ripped on the CTS-V's donging noise when opening the door or anything else and he didnt like the interior (agreed to a point), but I think with this he will surely make something funny about it. Make fun of the 20's, he will make fun of the fact that America went to Australia to get a chassis so it can be sophisticated all through out the entire drive. But in the end, he will like it overall, but he will nitpick something.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM

He may actually have some true gripes with the car just like any of us do.
He doesn't have to like every car, even if the show is scripted.

I can't help but laugh, who takes him serious....really...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
It is a great show, I love watching it when I can.

I think the Camaro threatens them.
maybe clarkson will join the crow eating club .

there really isn't any reason for them to not like it. like I said, they like the monaro/gto., the vxr8/G8, and the corvette. if the camaro can be as good or better...no reason for them not to like it. BUT, in top gear fashion there will be something to complain about as they do with all cars. I can only assume his only gripe would be that its "australian".
maybe GM should try to send one over there for the next series.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Admin Emeritus

Let's take a step back for a bit...

We can't expect it to go from where it was to where it will be without a bit of ribbing from many sources. Think of how someone outside of this site would think of it...
  • The car started out as the "fun in the sun" 1st gen.
  • Then grew to the to the "hard to give it a label" 2nd gen. (Help me come up with one.)
  • The 3rd gen will probably never shed the "AC/DC t-shirt, mullet, and Oakley Razor Blades" stigma, which is fine by me because I know better and I love 'em anyway. But I digress...
  • The 4th gen was impressive out of the gate with Corvette genes but the world evolved and according to that world, the Camaro didn't evolve with it. Eventually criticized heavily for this as well as its other faults like huge overhangs, live axle, and general lack of much mainstream refinement over the years, it never changed much in the eyes of most.

So here we have the next Camaro, unlike any other Camaro before it and arguably better. Contrary to the majority out there, we know it is different, we know the details, and we know what to expect (at least for the most part). It is easy for those even in the automotive media to look at the previous Camaro generations and expect the same ol' Camaro as before.

So sure, the Camaro is late to the IRS game (as well as quite a few others) and that's fine. I think overall, the naysayers will change their tune at least a bit once they get their hands on one.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:40 AM

With Clarkson's attitude you'd think he was one of the regular posters here....

Quick Reply: Top Gear on the 2010 Camaro