2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.i.p. Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Greenrail
Of course I am exaggerating a bit here. However, the need to rethink what and how we reach the perfomance levels we really want is going to take a major rethink on the part of the industry and the consumer.

To me after over 100 years of Gasoline powered autos, this is going to be a huge change for the General Public. Is it tantamount to the Manhattan Project and the rush to solve the energy Crisis? Perhaps and Perhaps not?

Where will we be in 10 years. God forbid we end up with some of the junk we had to endure in the past. 170 HP Z28's with a strangled 305, Iron Duke 4 Cylinders - come to mind here.

Like it or not the way we think about automobiles is and will continue to change. Will they be Hybrids? Fuel Cell? Turbos? Diesels? Plug In's? There will be some interesting vehicles onthe Market in the not-too-distant future.

If you don't like that .... Sorry..... I won't however, engage in name calling or insulting people.

John? Is that you?

Charlie from the ICC....
Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Of course I am exaggerating a bit here. However, the need to rethink what and how we reach the perfomance levels we really want is going to take a major rethink on the part of the industry and the consumer.

To me after over 100 years of Gasoline powered autos, this is going to be a huge change for the General Public. Is it tantamount to the Manhattan Project and the rush to solve the energy Crisis? Perhaps and Perhaps not?

Where will we be in 10 years. God forbid we end up with some of the junk we had to endure in the past. 170 HP Z28's with a strangled 305, Iron Duke 4 Cylinders - come to mind here.

Like it or not the way we think about automobiles is and will continue to change. Will they be Hybrids? Fuel Cell? Turbos? Diesels? Plug In's? There will be some interesting vehicles onthe Market in the not-too-distant future.

If you don't like that .... Sorry..... I won't however, engage in name calling or insulting people.
who's name calling or insulting people??
Old 09-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
And what I am saying is GM already builds a crate motor version of the LS3 with the cam swap (LS376/480) that puts out 480hp. It actually retails for about the same price as the regular 430hp LS3 crate motor. Just certify that engine for 50-state emissions and you have almost LS7 power for 1/3 of the price.
closer to 1/2 the price.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
And what I am saying is GM already builds a crate motor version of the LS3 with the cam swap (LS376/480) that puts out 480hp. It actually retails for about the same price as the regular 430hp LS3 crate motor. Just certify that engine for 50-state emissions and you have almost LS7 power for 1/3 of the price.

*light goes on over CJ's head*
oh, I get ya now. I'm all for it.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
who's name calling or insulting people??
Didn't say anyone was or wasn't name calling. I have seen many conversations on these message sites go that route.

Just saying I won't go there.

I try to be as respectful as I can when posting my comments. Just the way I am.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Didn't say anyone was or wasn't name calling. I have seen many conversations on these message sites go that route.
Not on this one!

Just saying I won't go there.

I try to be as respectful as I can when posting my comments. Just the way I am.
You are going to fit right in.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JasonD
Not on this one!

You are going to fit right in.
Thank you!. I just had to say that since it was one of my first posts on here.

By the way, I am looking forward to meeting some of you at Indy. I will be there along with several members of our Camaro Club.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
closer to 1/2 the price.
You're right. I was thinking about the old MSRP for the LS7.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Like it or not the way we think about automobiles is and will continue to change. Will they be Hybrids? Fuel Cell? Turbos? Diesels? Plug In's? There will be some interesting vehicles onthe Market in the not-too-distant future......
of course alternative means of transportation will change the world in some way, but a i doubt a hybrid camaro is the answer to the worlds problems. I think they need to raise the standards of trucks and SUVs more.and i think they should apply the CAFE standards to the luxury brands as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:06 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by HuJass
Scott,
How much more is the LS7 vs. the LS3 in terms of cost (GM's cost, not retail)?

If it is so much more, I could only surmise that the LS9 or LSA is significantly more than that, right?

So what's left as another Z/28 engine option?

Seriously?

I can't say publicly -- but I'll say this: your teeth would hurt if I told you.

You cannot believe the difference in price. (go try and order a shortblock LS7 thru a GM dealer -- and know that the 'internal' price isn't much less!) (remember -- they're hand built.............)
Old 09-04-2008, 11:04 PM

Maybe the Z28 will be the turbo 4 cylinder....

I should not even joke like that
Old 09-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Prominent Member

I'll say it again.......spend the $$ on making it lighter .... I'll make the LS3 faster, thank you.

I want lighter suspension members, lighter (read: aluminum, hydroformed) suspension and engine cradles, the loss of extraneous options, FWIW, anything that adds weight and no performance enhancement (i.e. body mods), etc... (Don't the "High Mileage" versions of the small cars and now some trucks use aluminum suspension members to achieve their goal?)

I want titanium mufflers; at the very least...the whole system if possible.

I want even better brakes...or at least cross drilled rotors with better pads.

I want a better shock and spring package...lowered, if at all possible. Add in a more aggressive alignment spec too.

I want forged wheels... <19" will work for me...

I want more (race) supportive seats.

Is that too much to ask?

Last edited by Doug Harden; 09-05-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
I'll say it again.......spend the $$ on making it lighter .... I'll make the LS3 faster, thank you.

I want lighter suspension members, lighter (read: aluminum, hydroformed) suspension and engine cradles, the loss of extraneous options, FWIW, anything that adds weight and no performance enhancement (i.e. body mods), etc... (Don't the "High Mileage" versions of the small cars and now some trucks use aluminum suspension members to achieve their goal?)

I want titanium mufflers; at the very least...the whole system if possible.

I want even better brakes...or at least cross drilled rotors with better pads.

I want a better shock and spring package...lowered, if at all possible. Add in a more aggressive alignment spec too.

I want forged wheels... <19" will work for me...

I want more (race) supportive seats.

Is that too much to ask?

Doug, you know I want the exact same thing as you, bud. Maybe I need someone to help me see how it could materialize though.

And how much weight could this car possibly lose when compared to an SS? 25 pounds? 50?

You know, we were talking about discipline in the other thread, regarding names. Can this car we're getting, actually be turned into a Z/28?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And how much weight could this car possibly lose when compared to an SS? 25 pounds? 50?

You know, we were talking about discipline in the other thread, regarding names. Can this car we're getting, actually be turned into a Z/28?
Not Doug, but seeing as the Camaro already has an aluminum hood, I'm not sure if adding a carbonfiber one would save that much weight. Ligher rims could help some, and perhaps an aluminum trunk lid if it already isn't aluminum.

Why not simply use the 480hp hot cam version of the LS3, add a free flowing exhaust (GM has already hinted a dealer installed version will be available), bigger brakes, sway bars etc? Heck with the hot cam LS3, exhaust and a better intake, GM should be able to make north of 500hp.

The only problem I see is all these options will be available at the GM Parts counter and anyone with deep pockets would be able to turn their SS into a Z/28. But then, perhaps that's what GM wants.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
Maybe the Z28 will be the turbo 4 cylinder....

I should not even joke like that
Wouldn't bother me if the performance was there. Afterall, the first generation was a small displacement Trans Am style roadracer. I mean, the original was "only" a 302 in the days when 350 cubes and up was the norm for performance cars with most of the "serious" ones being 390 cubes and up.

Quick Reply: R.i.p. Z/28