2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.i.p. Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:06 AM

Coming from someone who's butted heads with Scott alot lately - hell, not lately, for the past dozen years actually - he's the only one at GM who's got the ***** to actually get out with folks and interact the way he does. And I said just that to him last time we got together.

Can I honestly say that 100% of the info he dispenses to us is always correct? No. But that's not the point. The point is that while many at GM are cowering in their cubicles - not wanting to get involved, not wanting to expose themselves, not wanting to risk their careers - Scott embraces the opposite.

Scott, when I see you at Indy, your chardonay on the rocks is on me.....
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Coming from someone who's butted heads with Scott alot lately - hell, not lately, for the past dozen years actually - he's the only one at GM who's got the ***** to actually get out with folks and interact the way he does. And I said just that to him last time we got together.

Can I honestly say that 100% of the info he dispenses to us is always correct? No. But that's not the point. The point is that while many at GM are cowering in their cubicles - not wanting to get involved, not wanting to expose themselves, not wanting to risk their careers - Scott embraces the opposite.

Scott, when I see you at Indy, your chardonay on the rocks is on me.....

Amen to that.

When I have looked at Scott's postings on here and other boards, all I have seen is his willingness to share what he can at any given time during all of this.

You are 100% correct, he is one of the few who takes the time to talk, listen, debate, and celebrate with the enthusiast community.

He also, tends to keep us grounded in the realities of the marketplace and the engineering requirements needed to bring this car to the street.

This is something, I personally find refreshing in this brutal business.

Let's face a certain reality here. When a major manufacturer brings a product to market, they are doing their best to try and make it something which will please the consumer, is safe, meets all of the various mandated requirements, and still make money for the company. Will everyone be happy with every aspect. No.... and that is okay.

The success of any given product, will be based on what we as consumers want at any given time. Any of the vehicles produced by teh General are intended to satisfy the consumer. They are huge gambles on the part of GM.

during my entire career, I have watched the highs and the lows of the auto iundustry. The mindest has changed during the last 15 years as the competition has forced change in, what I regard, as a positive way.

Better quality, better economy, better safety, better reliability, and competitive designs. It adds up to a win for us as consumers.

We, the general public, have the right to decide what suits our needs. We have been blessed here in North America, to have a very diverse and interesting mix of vehicles from which we can make our decisions.

Where else in the world, do we have such a rich selection of transportation options????? It makes me gald to be living in an age where we can enjoy our various life experiences.

To me, I am glad we have this type of vehicle, which we can elect to purchase.

Now, I need to get to a responsible dealer, and place my order for a red jewel tintcoat, SS/RS... Six Speed Manual......Leather interior.

Last edited by Greenrail; 09-10-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
Scott also said "big honkin V8" but all that was offered is the same ol small block.
You really seem to have an axe to grind with Scott. I expect that particular statement was made when many here were expecting or just assuming that we were getting the 5.3L. If a 6.2L in a ~$30k coupe doesn't qualify as a "big honkin" V8 then I don't know what does. It is significantly larger engine than anything in its class except the 6.1L SRT8 Challenger and we all know what one of those costs.

Last edited by Dest98; 09-10-2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
My head hurts
your head may hurt but lets face it your not gona get a 550 supercharged engine and i my self have said this 100 times and ill stick with it. it seems more realistic to me for them to do some weight reduction and increase horse power slightly like they did on the z06. the idea seams far more plausible then them taken the engine (whether its detuned or not) from there 107k halo car to put in the camaro. even though my example might have been a little on the extreme. how do you even price something like that.

okay you can buy a camaro with that engine for 50k and re tune the engine and a pulley and few other mods and be at the vets level so i doubt it be 50k compared to a 107k zr1 i doubt 50k is a realistic price for that car. so what 65-70 k for it? at that point why even get the camaro when you can get a z06. and most of you who are complaining about not getting probably couldn't afford it even if they did build im not trying to be a jerk but lets be realistic here.

bang your head up against a wall all you want about my earlier statement but like i said your idea of geting a supercharged halo camaro is more far fetched considering all aspects of what would go into it and then pricing it. gm has use the same concept with the corvette with weight reduction and increasing horsepower so a z28 based on this idea is not far fetched even if i did take it a little to the extreme.

Last edited by 95grncamaro; 09-10-2008 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Is the "Gas Guzzler" threshold changing? Right now it's 22.5 MPG.

So I'm not so sure if it's as simple as selling X many Aveos for every one Camaro and then all is good. Imagine for a moment if the threshold does go up - which I'm pretty sure it will. Not only would Camaro be eating up all of those Aveo and Cobalt CAFE mpg credits, (Volt's contribution won't be significant for years), it would also be slapped with a "Gas Guzzler" tax.
Do you think Camaro's traditional audience is willing to pay - oh, say an extra 1000 bucks in tax? Would GM be willing or even capable of absorbing that? I'd think no on both counts.

Like I said, the further down the road we get, the tougher the picture gets for this car.

I'm not sure if the gas guzzler tax is changing. One would think but things are less than certain in Detroit and D.C. especially on this front. Gas guzzler is different than CAFE in that it directly affects the Camaro and Mustang/Challenger/Genesis for that matter.

I agree no Camaro or any new car buyer owner would want to pay a gas guzzler tax. GM will/does have some work to do to bring up the mpg and we’ll have to see what that is once the car goes on sale.

However when would an Alpha based Camaro even be ready? I think we agree programs like that if started are probably on hold right now. I still think the 5th Gen Camaro lasts 4-5 years.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Forget the big honkin v8. I want the Z-28 to be ALL carbon-fiber (frame, body, wheels, EVERYTHING) with 2 solid-fuel rocket boosters where those ugly reverse lights are. Who cares for practicality anyway? I'm not going backwards in a rocket, right? 12-speed manumatic transmission engineered by NASA (obviously, with the rocket boosters), any color I want, baby seal skin interior, cigar humidor where that god-awful torque gauge cluster is, and all of that for $40k. Or just less than a Corvette. Is that too much to ask? If GM doesn't offer a carbon-fiber ROCKET with "Z-28" on the side...I'll probably just buy the V6.

EDIT - did some research - solid rocket boosters are surprisingly heavy. Totally negates the carbon fiber Camaro, or Carbomaro-F, for short (notice the "F"-reference!). Replace the boosters with pneumatic holding tanks. Power the Z-28 with pressurized air from all the hot-air complaints blowing around these forums. I'll just need a place to plug in my laptop to load up a "Z-28" or "weight reduction" thread when the Carbomaro-F needs refueling.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 91BigRedz28
Forget the big honkin v8. I want the Z-28 to be ALL carbon-fiber (frame, body, wheels, EVERYTHING) with 2 solid-fuel rocket boosters where those ugly reverse lights are. Who cares for practicality anyway? I'm not going backwards in a rocket, right? 12-speed manumatic transmission engineered by NASA (obviously, with the rocket boosters), any color I want, baby seal skin interior, cigar humidor where that god-awful torque gauge cluster is, and all of that for $40k. Or just less than a Corvette. Is that too much to ask? If GM doesn't offer a carbon-fiber ROCKET with "Z-28" on the side...I'll probably just buy the V6.

EDIT - did some research - solid rocket boosters are surprisingly heavy. Totally negates the carbon fiber Camaro, or Carbomaro-F, for short (notice the "F"-reference!). Replace the boosters with pneumatic holding tanks. Power the Z-28 with pressurized air from all the hot-air complaints blowing around these forums. I'll just need a place to plug in my laptop to load up a "Z-28" or "weight reduction" thread when the Carbomaro-F needs refueling.
Gee, what about the six pot ceramic Brembos????

Carbon Fibre F-1 engineered Suspension Components??

AWD?????

$40k is way too much to pay for something like this...... Needs to be closer to $30k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dest98
If a 6.2L in a ~$30k coupe doesn't qualify as a "big honkin" V8 then I don't know what does.
+1
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by 95grncamaro
your head may hurt but lets face it your not gona get a 550 supercharged engine and i my self have said this 100 times and ill stick with it.
95grncamaro

100=10?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I'm not sure if the gas guzzler tax is changing. One would think but things are less than certain in Detroit and D.C. especially on this front. Gas guzzler is different than CAFE in that it directly affects the Camaro and Mustang/Challenger/Genesis for that matter.

I agree no Camaro or any new car buyer owner would want to pay a gas guzzler tax. GM will/does have some work to do to bring up the mpg and we’ll have to see what that is once the car goes on sale.

However when would an Alpha based Camaro even be ready? I think we agree programs like that if started are probably on hold right now. I still think the 5th Gen Camaro lasts 4-5 years.

This Camaro had a projected 5 year lifecyle - before new CAFE, before the implosion of Zeta, before $4 gas.

On a related note, it appears that Alpha is a top priority at Cadillac right now. And if they can get the resources, many at GM want to speed up it's release. Although a recent report had Alpha coming in late 2010, I think that's unrealistic. It's possible that Alpha could be here by MY '12.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-10-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
In light of Congress proposing to bailout the automotive industry, and planning to do so before the elections this November; perhaps a supercharged V8 will be back on the table.
I'm sure that would be the first thing on the agenda, sure.

Nothing gives the perception of "I'm spending money responsibly and working hard toward fuel economy goals" more than adding a nuclear reactor under the hood of Camaro, especially when you're fighting CAFE standards.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM

Personally i really don't care about a 600 hp Camaro. I want a Camaro because it's affordable. 400 hp is plenty. I am more interested in miles per gallon than racing around the streets. I don't even care about having a ZR1. Given the choice i'd take the base Vette. I'd rather have them put the money in making the V6 Camaro, and regular V8 as good as they can, because those are the cars the public is actually going to buy, as opposed to the few thousand per year that might buy a Super Camaro.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 95grncamaro
your head may hurt but lets face it your not gona get a 550 supercharged engine and i my self have said this 100 times and ill stick with it. it seems more realistic to me for them to do some weight reduction and increase horse power slightly like they did on the z06. the idea seams far more plausible then them taken the engine (whether its detuned or not) from there 107k halo car to put in the camaro. even though my example might have been a little on the extreme. how do you even price something like that.

okay you can buy a camaro with that engine for 50k and re tune the engine and a pulley and few other mods and be at the vets level so i doubt it be 50k compared to a 107k zr1 i doubt 50k is a realistic price for that car. so what 65-70 k for it? at that point why even get the camaro when you can get a z06. and most of you who are complaining about not getting probably couldn't afford it even if they did build im not trying to be a jerk but lets be realistic here.

bang your head up against a wall all you want about my earlier statement but like i said your idea of geting a supercharged halo camaro is more far fetched considering all aspects of what would go into it and then pricing it. gm has use the same concept with the corvette with weight reduction and increasing horsepower so a z28 based on this idea is not far fetched even if i did take it a little to the extreme.
A few points:
---The banging head was in response to the 500lb weight reduction fantasy (just my opinion of course )that has already been beaten to death on this board. I think I've already made my case for a supercharged 550hp Camaro and I try not to use absolutely every post of mine as a soapbox for my opinion on it....unlike SOME of those with the "Camaro is an overweight pig" or the "The Z28 should be a lightweight" opinions. If it would have been cheap or realistic to substantially drop the weight, don't you think it would have been done? Really, it's getting very, very tiresome

--- Not sure where you've said a 550hp supercharged engine isn't going to happen "100 times". Definitely not in the 5th Gen area were you've only posted twice. Maybe it was in the lounge where 70% of your posts are?
---The 556HP engine some people (like me) are talking about is the same LSA used in the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, not the 638HP LS9 used in the ZR1.
---As far as possible pricing for an LSA powered Camaro IF (which I know is very questionable right now) it were to be made, I'd guess/hope not much more than $45,000 considering that:
-The 6 Cylinder CTS is just under $35,000 with an "expected" price for the LSA powered CTS-V to be $60,000.
-The Camaro's price is expected to be "close" to that of a comparable Mustang. The V6 mustang is just under $20,000, tack on the $25K jump between the 6 Cyl CTS and the LSA CTS-V and you get $45K. The GT500 is just under $43K.

Oh, and by the way....I CAN realistically afford it.

Last edited by Ron78Z&01SS; 09-13-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
A few points:
---The banging head was in response to the 500lb weight reduction fantasy (just my opinion of course )that has already been beaten to death on this board. I think I've already made my case for a supercharged 550hp Camaro and I try not to use absolutely every post of mine as a soapbox for my opinion on it....unlike SOME of those with the "Camaro is an overweight pig" or the "The Z28 should be a lightweight" opinions. If it would have been cheap or realistic to substantially drop the weight, don't you think it would have been done? Really, it's getting very, very tiresome

--- Not sure where you've said a 550hp supercharged engine isn't going to happen "100 times". Definitely not in the 5th Gen area were you've only posted twice. Maybe it was in the lounge where 70% of your posts are?
---The 556HP engine some people (like me) are talking about is the same LSA used in the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V, not the 638HP LS9 used in the ZR1.
---As far as pricing possible pricing for an LSA powered Camaro IF (which I know is very questionable right now) it were to be made I'd guess/hope not much more than $45,000 considering that:
-The 6 Cylinder CTS is just under $35,000 with an "expected" price for the LSA powered CTS-V to be $60,000.
-The Camaro's price is expected to be "close" to that of a comparable Mustang. The V6 mustang is just under $20,000, tack on the $25K jump between the 6 Cyl CTS and the LSA CTS-V and you get $45K. The GT500 is just under $43K.

Oh, and by the way....I CAN realistically afford it.

X2 Ron!!