2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Possible first glimpse of new Camaro motor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Re: Possible first glimpse of new Camaro motor.

Ever since that one thread, 03-04 Cobra's are now called "Terminators" all over the place. Before that, I never heard it.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2000SilverLS1
Ever since that one thread, 03-04 Cobra's are now called "Terminators" all over the place. Before that, I never heard it.
That body design started out as a sketch called "Terminator". The name came from that.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:07 PM

Haven't seen anyone comment so I thought I would bring this up.

The CAD picture and the actual picture of the three valve setup show a difference with the exhaust valve rocker. The CAD shot shows the exhaust valve with a shaft style rocker, yet the actual picture indicates a pedestal mount rocker. Interesting....
Old 09-07-2006, 06:09 PM

So is this 6.3 or whatever engine gonna be 3v or 2v?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Whitten
You can get a goodly ammount of power just out of doing some minor tweaks that will not void your warranty. On Terminators, a cat back exhaust system was very often times worth about 25-40 HP...yeah just a cat back. Removal of the Mid Pipe with the 4 cats (2 on each side) often times yielded as much as 50 rwhp depending on if the car had clogged cats from the factory as several did. Up next was the intake that on average gave about 30 Hp to the car.
Are you serious? Have you seen these numbers proven on a dyno with before and after pulls? Hell, id love to believe that simple intake and exhaust improvements can add 120hp to a car, however, the only people that actually believe that usually have Type-R or VTEC somewhere on their car.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Is it dead-dead, or is it GM dead?
I think they've moved on to something else.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:03 PM

Okay, I know I just told you guys that this thing is dead. Maybe the motor they're talking about is not from that old CAD drawing posted on the 1st page.

I just found this:

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.h...1f8226e441&p=2

Behind the wheel of new 'Vette
Chris Vander Doelen, Windsor Star
"You could give it to your mother to drive. You can't say that about a lot of supercars."

The Z06 wasn't even the most fun I had in a car that day. The best ride was in a Cadillac CTS-V fitted with what was described as an experimental engine, although I highly doubt the experiment will remain in GM's labs much longer.

"We're trying to show people a few of the things we can do with existing technology," said Fred Rosario, the grinning engineer assigned to accompany the car. "Go head, give 'er," he said when I asked if I could stomp on the accelerator a bit.

It was just a regular four-door Caddy - with 470 horsepower and an almost psychotic exhaust note that went like this when you mashed the gas pedal: Wh-A-A-A-R-R-R-R!

Imagine the roar of a Detroit V-8 crossed with the hysterical shriek of a high-performance European engine. It was spooky. I kept poking that gas pedal just to hear it roar.

The secret was three valves in an allegedly ancient GM pushrod block. A new valvetrain configuration and cylinder head boost power by up to 18 per cent, or 75 horsepower.

Three valves even reduce emissions, thanks to faster fuel burn. And the configuration is smaller than a double overhead cam engine, has lower mass, and is cheaper to build than a four-valve OHC.

The engine can also be fitted with cylinder displacement on demand, which shuts off half the cylinders at cruising speed to save fuel. They might even put it in a truck, GM says.

So you think muscle cars are overdone? The other cars on GM's test track that day included 1.3-litre and 1.9-litre Opel diesels. Not sold here yet, that is true. But they could be.

The big news of the day was an upcoming diesel V-8 as small and even more powerful than a gasoline smallblock V-8. How small is it? They wouldn't say. That means really small.

Half of Detroit's auto industry is currently soiling their diapers due to downsizing. But GM clearly still has a few tricks up its sleeve.

Also driven by me that day were a Saturn Sky Redline and a Pontiac Solstice GXP. I'll say a few things about that experience on my blog at windsorstar.com

I'm getting far more excited now.

Last edited by Z284ever; 09-07-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Okay, I know I just told you guys that this thing is dead. Maybe the motor they're talking about is not from that old CAD drawing posted on the 1st page.

I just found this:

http://autos.canada.com/news/story.h...1f8226e441&p=2

I knew we kept you around here for a reason.

Thanks for that. Getting me excited about what GM is doing powerplant wise. Staying on top of the game, as usual.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 AM

I was reading on LS1Tech about GM using smaller inlet valves possibly to increase the size of the exhaust valve and improve overall volumetric efficiency. I also wonder if it's possible to introduce a lifter mechanism on the exhaust pushrod to implement variable exhaust timing?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
6.3 liters is is about 383 ci., only about 37 ci more than the LS1's 346. 385 lbs/ft of torque is NOTHING to sneeze at. It's absolutely shocking this much torque is still being brushed off with disappointment by some.

The engine is obviously built for revs, and just by eyeballing the thing, I'm guessing that ImportedRoomate and the couple others who chimed in are right in that this thing is going to continue making torque where traditional pushrods give up the ghost.

If this thing puts out torque down low like traditional pushrods (and unlike OHC engines), and continues to put out gobs of torque high in the rpm range, regardless as to how much torque an LS1 or LS2 put out, this thing's going to absolutely scream on a track just as much as it will on a highway.

Can anyone tell I'm pretty stoked about this motor?
Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining about the torque numbers. They just don't seem right to me. The LS2 (6.0 litre) puts out 25 ft/lbs more torque to the pavement than the 5.7 litre LS1. That's why I find it hard to believe that an even larger displacement engine will put out less torque than the LS2.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Are you serious? Have you seen these numbers proven on a dyno with before and after pulls? Hell, id love to believe that simple intake and exhaust improvements can add 120hp to a car, however, the only people that actually believe that usually have Type-R or VTEC somewhere on their car.
Well, not 120 HP but yes, an easy 40 hp with just the exhaust. They are doing it all the time - dyno proven. Stock, 360 hp is the typical lowball number. Aftermarket exhaust and 390/400 hp numbers are very common...and this does not include headers.

Next time you're near an 03/04 Cobra, take a peak underneath and look at the exhaust and you'll see its a small diameter system with a lot of bends. Too restrictive for any engine, let alone a supercharged engine.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Me too...exciting article !
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM

well this is from an artical from Q&A with the the fbodyfather.

Q. Are any details on powertrains firmed up yet? Can we expect an LS3 "SS"?

A. Yes, Details are firmed up. No, I can't talk about 'em. (well-- I could, but there'd be a fleet of Black Suburbans in my driveway tonight......)

Forget about engine designators that we know of today, [does this mean the "LS" designation is gone or just that current motors LS2/7 are old news??, hmmm] .... 'we ain't done yet with powertrain, neither!!' (remember when we thought the LT1 was the end all????)

http://www.5thgen.org/forum/showthread.php?t=501

to me it seems like he is hinting at a new type of motor. im personally guessing that the new motor wont be called an lsX . and the motor you guys found could very possibly be the new motor or part of it. remeber the motor is in experminental stages from what the artical that z/28forever found, so alot of changes could be made before it hits the production.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:04 PM

Lightbulb Re: Possible first glimpse of new Camaro motor.

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Is it dead-dead, or is it GM dead?

This 6.3L experimental motor looks like something to replace the Northstar engines in the V-Series in a couple of years. I know the CTS-V uses a LS2, but the XLR-V AND STS-V use a 4.4L Northstar which makes 469hp supercharged in the STS-V.

The reasons you won't see it used by Chevrolet is it's more expensive than the LS2 and L92, and with more moving parts it just means there's more things to break compared again to the LS2 and L92.

At 470 hp this motor comes too close too the Vette and is more exotic than the Vette's LS7 which makes it highly unlikely to be used for the Camaro. And from a cost standpoint it won't happen just like there won't be a LS7 in the Camaro.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by cobraeater

This 6.3L experimental motor looks like something to replace the Northstar engines in the V-Series in a couple of years. I know the CTS-V uses a LS2, but the XLR-V AND STS-V use a 4.4L Northstar which makes 469hp supercharged in the STS-V.

The reasons you won't see it used by Chevrolet is it's more expensive than the LS2 and L92, and with more moving parts it just means there's more things to break compared again to the LS2 and L92.

At 470 hp this motor comes too close too the Vette and is more exotic than the Vette's LS7 which makes it highly unlikely to be used for the Camaro. And from a cost standpoint it won't happen just like there won't be a LS7 in the Camaro.
yes but they could use a lower diplacement to get it away from the vett. also it mabe more expensive then the ls2, but wasnt the ls1 alot more expesive the the lt1?

Quick Reply: Possible first glimpse of new Camaro motor.