2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Car and Driver says Mustang wins

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:05 PM

Mustang is a very capable car. Boils down to a matter of preference.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Some parts of this thread are kinda funny.

If Car & Driver said that red cars look better than blue cars, would everyone have to agree because they said so? Would that make all the other magazines wrong because they said blue cars look better than red ones?

Heck...f I said pizza tastes better than cheeseburgers, would everyone have to agree because I said so?

Dammit...now I am hungry.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
well my friend, the eveidence is in the magazines. look through the past issues and you will see that they pick fords (or anyone for that matter) over the gm vehicles. not only the camaro test but look at the past issues and read for yourself.
Thanks for the insight - though it wasn't even a very good dodge of the question!

Have a great day!
Bob
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JasonD
Dammit...now I am hungry.
Mmmm, cheeseburgers.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Simple. As I said in another thread where this was mentioned, Chevrolet benchmarked the 2005-2009 Mustang (since that is all that was available). The 2010 model is obviously better than the previous Mustangs.

When a 315 HP car can accelerate with (at least, to 60), brake with, and even outhandle the new Camaro, I only look at one reason. That reason, my friends, is weight.
Umm no it's a 2010 Mustang
Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vonmoldy
Umm no it's a 2010 Mustang
What is?

I don't think you read Z28Wilson's post correctly.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Is this the same magazine that chose the VW over the Cobalt SS turbo because of a "Gotta have it factor" even though the Cobalt stomped it in every single category? I lost all respect for car magazines, long ago.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Most other magazines have picked the Camaro. When you look at the methodology that Car and Driver used they have a lot of weight on the subjective findings. Pretty much everyone seems to think the Mustang turns better and feels lighter however they all say the IRS on the Camaro makes it behave very well. Ultimately I put no stock in the subjective opinions of writers. The only one who gets a vote in my mind is me because it will be my car. After all the best way to get attention for your magazine is to come to the opposite conclusion of all of the other magazines. If C&D said the Camaro is best no one would be talking about their magazine. The interesting thing is pretty much all of these magazines are owned by the same publisher.
Is .92g Road holding test score for the Mustang vs. the .85 for the Camaro subjective enough for you?

The Camaro came out with 193 points vs the Mustang 209 so it was pretty close the Camaro took some blows from the editors for it's lack of visibility and the seats were hard.
If you look at the points for the powertrain the camaro earned 42 vs. mustang 43 mustang chassis got 45 vs the camaro 40. Where the Camaro I think really lost it though is in the overall vehicle things like trunk space back seat room and rear seat comfort.

I think they need to test one that is broken in they commented the Mustang had 6700 miles. And that might explain the higher acceleration times. It might also eliminate their complaints with the transmission.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:28 PM

The powertrain is one thing that should have gone solidly for the Camaro, IMO.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by vonmoldy
Is .92g Road holding test score for the Mustang vs. the .85 for the Camaro subjective enough for you?
Only if they are running on the same rubber.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 PM

For those who want to read the article.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...omparison_test

Seems like C&D was a lot more critical than the other magazines and not just excited that even in these hard times that they had three affordable 2+2, RWD, V8's that still allow the driver to do all the shifting. They even mentioned their hybrid article and while reading I almost felt like the writers testing these cars would rather have tested the hybrids. Reading some of their gripes and despite the fact that much of their issues are real I just felt like they looked at the cars to black and white and missing of emotion. These cars live on emotion.

I've never liked the caw C&D goes about picking a winner and between these cars should have taken a page from MT that said that no matter who they pick for the vast majority reading have already sided with their favorites and won't budge over what some testers and editors say.

Last edited by 99SilverSS; 05-26-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:13 PM

Take the Track Pack away from the Mustang, and then see how well it does. Every comparison test so far has included the Track Pack. I don't think the majority of buyers will spring for it.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by skorpion317
Take the Track Pack away from the Mustang, and then see how well it does. Every comparison test so far has included the Track Pack. I don't think the majority of buyers will spring for it.
Nice, you're taking away an OPTION on the car to lower the ability on a car?
Its not like they got a whole bunch of aftermarket parts here....
Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
What does horsepower have to do with braking or handling?
It doesn't have to do with it. I didn't mean to run all of those together as if HP has something to do with those. The Camaro SS comes with massive Brembos....standard....has an IRS....standard....so the test results especially in those two areas are very disappointing.

I hear what you're saying about gearing, though it doesn't make me feel much better in stoplight-to-stoplight action.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM

C&D is no friend to the Camaro, they've insulted the cars on more than one occassion. The Camaro winning every other comparison so far besides this one makes it null and void IMO.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver says Mustang wins