2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] NEWS: Spy Shots: 2009 Chevy Camaro caught - interior too!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D:
Since when was "enthusiast" limited to drag racers and lead foots?

That's the problem with preferences, they're personal. What you want is what you want. What I want is what I want.
I seem to share similar opions about the interior and comments...

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
You forgot to include the diametric opposite....to wit...The "I'll buy it no matter what it looks like/runs/costs/weighs so long as it says Camaro" Club.

Originally Posted by Z284ever:
By far, the scariest faction because....

Although vocal on boards like this, they'll never buy enough of them to make or break the car, IF they buy that is....and IF they buy new or used
I have to say, we may have different opinions on many things but, I with you on this one...
I'm averaging 20,000 miles a year in my car, I'm not a 19 year old kid, and I care about quality, resale value, and value adding amenities, and don't mind paying a little more for it.
And I don't believe this car is finished and haven't seen it in person, but have seen 2 concepts in person, which look far better than this one inside.
And the new Camaro interior MUST compete with other 2010 car interiors, in quality and fuctionality, etc...

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-03-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
And the new Camaro interior MUST compete with other 2010 car interiors, in quality and fuctionality, etc...
Thank you. This interior might have been okay ten years ago. but honestly i think the mustangs interior is a lot better designed which is my opinion. fine. but interiors are becoming more and more important in the modern buyer and i just dont think this one cuts it. Lets not forget that the interior is where you spend time in the car. having one that is aesthetically pleasing is important

Can we have an option to get the new malibu interior in it?

Last edited by 0toinsanein5.4sec; 01-03-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Well I was going to let this whole interior arguing thing die for me, personally. But let me just respond to this. While T-tops has personally become a "defining" Camaro trait, I did say that lack of said feature would not be a "deal-breaker". I do understand why they are not possible on this car. I may not like it, but I understand it.

As I said, I guess the most frustrating thing for me is that there are a lot of little things that when you add them together, make me a lot less sure about my purchasing intentions than I was even 6 months ago. Too bad for me I suppose.

I do not consider myself an interior snob. I don't run my hands over my dash to feel quality of the materials every day, I don't go knocking on every trim piece to find the most hollow-sounding plastics. Hey, I own a 4th Gen! But where the 4th Gen basically stunk in terms of material quality, it made up for it in simplicity and ergonomics IMO. Everything was easy to read at a glance. It didn't look cartoonish, it didn't try too hard. Just give me something simple and easy to look at in a quick glance and I'm happy.
That makes sense - and I agree the 4gens are not known for ultra-tight interior panel gaps

But while I also enjoy the simple and effective ergonomics in my LT1 Firebird... I'm not so naive as to think I can make any kind of adequate judgement about 5gen Camaro ergonomics, until at the very least, I sit in a TRUE PRODUCTION unit for real, or better yet, drive one.

As for the 'little things adding up' to make one not choose a new Camaro... I can see that happening for some too. Yet every new car is a tradeoff. Want modern front-and side-crashworthiness? It's going to cost some, in curb weight, complexity and $$. Want power, torque... and also reasonable MPG? It's going to cost some, in extra gadgets like AFM (again, $$ since it's a new car purchase). But I hope people will make an informed decision - since it takes time for all the facts to come out. One last example: one of my disappointments with my 05 GTO was the lack of a factory sunroof... but today I saw a factory sunroof on the production Camaro picture from GM
Old 01-03-2008, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 0toinsanein5.4sec
Thank you. This interior might have been okay ten years ago. but honestly i think the mustangs interior is a lot better designed which is my opinion. fine. but interiors are becoming more and more important in the modern buyer and i just dont think this one cuts it.
I've raised the subject myself, so have little room to talk... but isn't it a little dicey to compare the overall effectiveness of the Camaro and Mustang interiors, at this point? NO ONE has seen a productionized new Camaro interior in action as of yet. Yet - I did check out the 05 Mustang interior when I cross-shopped it against the 05 GTO I bought. I was open to the idea of the Mustang's retro interior. My first car was *almost* a 67 Mustang (ended up being a 70 Chevelle)... and I've been a Mustang fan for a long time. But I did not like the Mustang's speedometer. It was difficult to read, due to a simple thing - the font on the speedo! (The infamous 'deal breakers' for me, for those curious - was the lack of discounting on the Mustangs at that point, and the 100 HP deficit VS the LS2 GTO).

My point being - the Mustang has been a size-large success for Ford, even with that goofy speedometer. Why? Because of the compelling case made by the car overall for its buyers. Let's wait and see what the real production Camaro interior is like before hastening to judgment.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 PM

These pics just brought a tear to my eye - seriously.

Whether or not you like the look of the interior, it's a functioning prototype of our beloved Camaro.

We see, for the first time up close, the culmination of all of our wishes, dreams, and the result of the hard work many of you have put into keeping this dream alive. I may be kind of a Johny-come lately to this forum, only joining after I saw the silver concept in 2006 at the Cleveland auto show and never actually owning any previous generation Camaro. But I have always loved those cars, felt more passionate about them than any other American car, and now have the means to afford one. The fact that when it came time I could afford to buy a new car the Camaro was no more dissappointed me to no end. On that reguard I have no room to preach what I haven't practiced. But there are those of you who've been living it for years and when production of the 4th gen stoped, you kept the dream alive. This and other Camaro forums. Writing to GM, offering your opinions to various GM and Chevy auto show reps. Online petitions. You name it. I've seen alot browsing through the internet.

Plain and simply GM could not ignore it. I remember hearing Rick Wagoner mention he had no plans to cash the checks mailed to GM in the week or two after he'd made the formal announcement of the return of the Camaro in Aug. of '06. For anyone to even consider doing such a thing for a car not even near ready for production shows either pure insanity or true devotion.

This is a wonderful day. I would like to tell Scott and his co-workers, and Ed Welburne and Bob Lutz, how much I truly appreciate your hard work. There was a time I completely wrote off GM. They didn't listen to their customers. They were intent on building nothing but bland people movers as vanilla as you can get. They were building cars based on "market research" instead of passion. Souless, lifeless, and blatent disreguard for their history or their future.

This Camaro is more than just a rebirth of a legend. You can see, based on what Scott has told us and these pictures, that they are not only embracing the herritage of what the car means, but the future of the company and the car itself by making it world class. Not just for those of us longing to drag race but those who would like a performance/touring coupe that just might otherwise look at a Nissan Altima 3.5SE or BMW 1-Series. This car is as appealing as a modern, well built, sophistocated touring coupe as it is a ***** to the floor muscle car.

Thank you guys. You've made my day.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:14 AM

i really dont mind anything about the interior except for the guages... that design sucks ***
Old 01-04-2008, 01:40 AM

To just stumble upon a trailer loaded with all that .....shwing

I dont exactly like what I see in the spy pics , but , Im gonna reserve judgement until the final is shown . With my job , Ive seen ....not with GM , but with other OEM's , interiors at the prototype stage . While the core design is likely to be very similar ....surface materials , switch gear , steering wheels , center stack components , gauge faces , shifter handles , center console trim plates can change pretty dramatically . Judging by all the TAPE , gaps , holes and things that just look unfinished .....that interior is FAR from finalized . It looks very .....errrr , protoyp'ee

The GM leaked pic of the white car with no camo looks BADASS

...and for the love of god , dont put Pirelli Rosso's on there . This is >decent< tire for about 5K miles . A PS2 or Goodyear F1GS D3 would make for far better choice ...jmo .

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 01-04-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:07 AM

I'd still buy one!!!

Anyone noticed those things above the exhaust tips?? Looks like back up lamps?? On the white Camaro pic that Ed Pepper leaked and on those links where there is camo covering it, looks like back up lamps.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by fastball
These pics just brought a tear to my eye - seriously.

Whether or not you like the look of the interior, it's a functioning prototype of our beloved Camaro.

We see, for the first time up close, the culmination of all of our wishes, dreams, and the result of the hard work many of you have put into keeping this dream alive. I may be kind of a Johny-come lately to this forum, only joining after I saw the silver concept in 2006 at the Cleveland auto show and never actually owning any previous generation Camaro. But I have always loved those cars, felt more passionate about them than any other American car, and now have the means to afford one. The fact that when it came time I could afford to buy a new car the Camaro was no more dissappointed me to no end. On that reguard I have no room to preach what I haven't practiced. But there are those of you who've been living it for years and when production of the 4th gen stoped, you kept the dream alive. This and other Camaro forums. Writing to GM, offering your opinions to various GM and Chevy auto show reps. Online petitions. You name it. I've seen alot browsing through the internet.

Plain and simply GM could not ignore it. I remember hearing Rick Wagoner mention he had no plans to cash the checks mailed to GM in the week or two after he'd made the formal announcement of the return of the Camaro in Aug. of '06. For anyone to even consider doing such a thing for a car not even near ready for production shows either pure insanity or true devotion.

This is a wonderful day. I would like to tell Scott and his co-workers, and Ed Welburne and Bob Lutz, how much I truly appreciate your hard work. There was a time I completely wrote off GM. They didn't listen to their customers. They were intent on building nothing but bland people movers as vanilla as you can get. They were building cars based on "market research" instead of passion. Souless, lifeless, and blatent disreguard for their history or their future.

This Camaro is more than just a rebirth of a legend. You can see, based on what Scott has told us and these pictures, that they are not only embracing the herritage of what the car means, but the future of the company and the car itself by making it world class. Not just for those of us longing to drag race but those who would like a performance/touring coupe that just might otherwise look at a Nissan Altima 3.5SE or BMW 1-Series. This car is as appealing as a modern, well built, sophistocated touring coupe as it is a ***** to the floor muscle car.

Thank you guys. You've made my day.
Amen! Thanks for posting, and for providing a little perspective in the midst of the fretting frenzy in this thread

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
To just stumble upon a trailer loaded with all that .....shwing

I dont exactly like what I see in the spy pics , but , Im gonna reserve judgement until the final is shown . With my job , Ive seen ....not with GM , but with other OEM's , interiors at the prototype stage . While the core design is likely to be very similar ....surface materials , switch gear , steering wheels , center stack components , gauge faces , shifter handles , center console trim plates can change pretty dramatically . Judging by all the TAPE , gaps , holes and things that just look unfinished .....that interior is FAR from finalized . It looks very .....errrr , protoyp'ee

The GM leaked pic of the white car with no camo looks BADASS

...and for the love of god , dont put Pirelli Rosso's on there . This is >decent< tire for about 5K miles . A PS2 or Goodyear F1GS D3 would make for far better choice ...jmo
I agree with just about all your post. But the comment on the tires got me thinking. I just realized upon looking at those wheels, close up... there is something I HATE there. I'm sorry to announce it... but it might be a DEAL BREAKER for me. WHY... WHY did they have to put that duct tape on the wheels! I cannot, WILL NOT buy a new Camaro with that on the wheels!

Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM

I've taken the last 24 hours or so to try and form an honest opinion on the theme of the interior, and the more I see it the more it is growing on me. I've tried to look at it w/ a broad approach knowing that the theme is what we will see, but fit/finish etc will be greatly improved over the next year and that will change the perception of a lot of you in that time. I work in Product Planning for a very reputable auto manufacturer, so I have personal experience w/ prototype builds and how much they can and can't change from here on out. A lot of what you see is locked in due to supplier contracts etc, but there are things that will come out that will change the perceived quality, and the perceived look of the vehicle interior. I'm not sold on it yet, but I can visualize the finished product the more I sit and think about it.

The exterior shot unmasked has me really impressed though. I was worried about the look of the rear of the car, the stance etc, but those worried have been put to rest by the photo released. I can't wait to see more.

The interior is not a deal breaker to me, and all of you guys that are sitting here and saying that are being very shortsighted. If you don't like it that's fine, but let's all as enthusiasts give Scott, and the Camaro staff time to get out a finished product before you call it a deal breaker. I understand the thoughts that the theme is wrong, as I'm not sure I totally agree w/ it myself. But take an honest look at the raw pre-production pics before making overwhelming judgments.

We have all been on this wave of ups and downs since 2002 when we lost the Camaro, riding the waves to where we are now. Personally being in Detroit for the actual debut was a fantastic high, and I can't wait to see what happens when the actually production car is debuted.

Keep the faith guys... Scott hasn't led us astray before, and I know he won't this time!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 AM

I'm sorry but after reading through this entire thread I have to get this off my chest...

... there are some stupid people on this website.

There is a reason GM doesn't want us to see photos of the pre-production "test car" interior. It isn't finished.

P.S. Sorry Jason & Chris, but I had to say that.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
There is a reason GM doesn't want us to see photos of the pre-production "test car" interior. It isn't finished.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:39 AM

I think we have a real problem brewing with this interior. I say this not only due to the number of negative comments that the interior is getting, but more by the extreme nature of the negative comments.

For those that think this is the same situation as the exterior spy photo situation or that this is more of the “sky is falling” scenario, I say you are missing the point. If you review the comments about the exterior they were much more subtle. Complaints about smoothed lines; Smaller hips; Higher roof, etc. I don’t recall anyone saying the exterior was “Terrible”, “Horrible”, “Worst they have ever see”, “Disgusting”, etc. I don’t recall anyone thinking that the entire theme of the exterior should be scrapped. I don’t recall anyone asking for a complete re-do of the exterior. These Sentiments have all been expressed in regards to the interior.

This is not a situation of camouflage hiding the lines of the car. It is not bad lighting or camera angle. It is not poor fit and finish. It is not because of place holders or non- production parts. The problem is that this Pseudo-Retro interior theme is unattractive and quite frankly does not work on this car.

I can appreciate the concern of some that this is a work in progress, very rough, and therefore being judged unfairly. I can appreciate the “have faith” mantra. The problem I have is that this photo clearly demonstrates that everything many disliked about the concept car’s interior appears to be headed for production. I really hate to use the “polished turd” reference that someone else used in an earlier post. But that really is the perfect analogy. No amount of polish or refinement will fix this interior if the design concept and/or theme is inherently flawed from the Beginning!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Might it also be (or perhaps instead of, in some cases) that they don't want their competitors seeing it? I believe that line of reasoning has been used before as justification for not providing pictures (and a totally valid justification, too, IMHO).

Bob
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Might it also be (or perhaps instead of, in some cases) that they don't want their competitors seeing it? I believe that line of reasoning has been used before as justification for not providing pictures (and a totally valid justification, too, IMHO).

Bob
Agreed. That is the main reason.

Quick Reply: [Interior] NEWS: Spy Shots: 2009 Chevy Camaro caught - interior too!