2010 - 2015 Camaro Interior, Exterior, Paint & Body, Electronics/Car Audio 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro discussion for body kits, paint and stripe care, seats, dash, gauges, car audio, etc.

[Interior] NEWS: Spy Shots: 2009 Chevy Camaro caught - interior too!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by fastball
I LOVE the gauges on the lower console, and further more have the common sense to know that every GM car today has a DIC in the main gauge package with that same info. Don't want to take your eyes off the road? Just scroll through the DIC. No big deal.
Yeah, that's waaaay better than very briefly glancing down at an analog faced gauge right in front of you as you travel down the main straight at 120+.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Yeah, that's waaaay better than very briefly glancing down at an analog faced gauge right in front of you as you travel down the main straight at 120+.

At 120+, I would advise NOT glancing down period. Oh, and I would also strongly advise no 120+, period, unless on a track designed for that speed. Seriously. Unless you like this look . Just MHO.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:35 AM

I think the gauges look pretty cool, and would be a good conversation point. Doesn't bother me.

But I will reiterate in gigantic text:

I HATE THAT STEERING WHEEL!

I understand what the designers were trying to do (three spoke, the small horn button type look) but that style does not work with an airbag in there because the airbag is so big!
Old 01-05-2008, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by willz
At 120+, I would advise NOT glancing down period. Oh, and I would also strongly advise no 120+, period, unless on a track designed for that speed. Seriously. Unless you like this look . Just MHO.
Agreed. I've had several of my cars to a local drag strip. There's no time to sit there, gazing at your voltmeter! If something's wrong with oil pressure, the car's seriously messed up anyway and in need of major repair (and a light will be on somewhere on the dash). This is not 1964! People simply do not monitor oil pressure, volts, not even temps constantly like they used to. It's "nice" to have such gages... but not something people stare at while driving in a spirited fashion. Road, speed, and tach are the big eye magnets... but even speed and tach are not stared at a lot by a good race driver, shifting is often done more by sound and feel than by watching a tach.

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
OK -- some thoughts. (after 235 posts that I can't get the whole way thru.......)
1. when I first saw the leaked pics of the interior I was shocked -- for two reasons -- one was it was unauthorized.....two because it looks really bad. Now -- I've seen the final interior design -- and these pics really look bad. ....(So - that's another reason we don't like pics to just appear -- remember all the screaming and carrying on when the white car showed up with the bra -- notice that people have changed their tune already in what, two weeks?)

2. this site seems to be the one site that really has problems with everything about Camaro -- and I've finally figured it out -- it's a few people on this site -- not the majority.....

3. When someone DOES agree with me or one of the 'winkie' club members (someone else's label - not mine) they're accused of -- for lack of a better term -- sucking up. I find that reprehensible. Trust me - I've yet to find a Camaro enthusiast who isn't afraid to speak their mind....
Get real.

4. Console gages......probably one of the most polarizing issues surrounding the concept car.

We got TONS of emails and snailmail and personal visits on them -- and people felt strongly one way or another.

Yup -- we could 'play it safe' and put an IP in there that resembles every midsize sedan out there -- or we could give you something that says "Camaro" -- silly us. I believe in the final analysis that people will like this interior WHEN FINISHED.

They are a historic Camaro cue from the 1st gen car. What makes you think that those are the ONLY gages in the car? Think of the word "redundancy" -- (dang...there's that winkie again!)

5. I go back to the hysteria surrounding the leaked Oshawa photo a couple of weeks ago -- the white car with front and rear bra -- and some people on this site lost their minds. ONCE AGAIN I asked everyone to calm down - and lo and behold -- Ed Peper puts a picture of a white production intent Camaro out there this week -- and wow -- tunes have changed. All I'm asking you is to calm down -- and give the car a chance.

6. I've said this many times before........ANYTIME we change something on a Camaro or a Corvette -- 50% will love it -- 50% will hate it - and 80% of the 50% who hate it will love it or like it 90 days after the car comes out........and I suspect this will happen as well on the Camaro.

7. The 2nd Gen Fcars were highly controversial -- so were the 4th gens -- the C5? People loved it or hated it -- much more negative comments than on the new Camaro. C6? you would have thought the world was coming to an end the way some people caterwalled..........

Frankly -- the response to this car far exceeds our expectations when looking at the many sites out there. Sorry that a few of you don't like what you see. I'm hoping that you'll change your mind when you see it in person.

In the final analysis -- most people on this site feel very strongly about Camaro -- I just ask you to hold off 'til you can sit in a production car -- then make final judgement.
Amen and thanks for your words Scott
Old 01-05-2008, 10:36 AM

4. Console gages......probably one of the most polarizing issues surrounding the concept car.

We got TONS of emails and snailmail and personal visits on them -- and people felt strongly one way or another.

Yup -- we could 'play it safe' and put an IP in there that resembles every midsize sedan out there -- or we could give you something that says "Camaro" -- silly us. I believe in the final analysis that people will like this interior WHEN FINISHED.

They are a historic Camaro cue from the 1st gen car. What makes you think that those are the ONLY gages in the car? Think of the word "redundancy" -- (dang...there's that winkie again!)
I personally like the guages. I just so happen to like the guages in one big set up on the dash like my 72 and 87 more.
I would like to see a digital DIC screen between the two of the guages. I think that the bar for interior design has been raised very high with the new Malibu.

Lets just say, hypotheticly GM got bad press over the interior. I would assume that there are or were at least 2 or 3 other designs in the running. How much longer would it take for GM to reverse gear, get one of the other designs ready for production, send it out to suppliers, and get it mocked up and ready?

5. I go back to the hysteria surrounding the leaked Oshawa photo a couple of weeks ago -- the white car with front and rear bra --
So the car was at Oshawa? hrm. I dont know if whe all knew that yet.

6. I've said this many times before........ANYTIME we change something on a Camaro or a Corvette -- 50% will love it -- 50% will hate it - and 80% of the 50% who hate it will love it or like it 90 days after the car comes out........and I suspect this will happen as well on the Camaro.
Agreed. I think that a lot of people will like the interior and any type of features it has will attract nonfbody people into this car. I think that GM also has to look to people that would normally disreguard this car as just some garish hunk of crap.

7. The 2nd Gen Fcars were highly controversial -- so were the 4th gens -- the C5? People loved it or hated it -- much more negative comments than on the new Camaro. C6? you would have thought the world was coming to an end the way some people caterwalled..........
Ahahaha...OMG NO MORE POP UP HEADLIGHTS! WORST CORVETTE EVAR!! OH EM GEE IM GUNNA DIE IF THE CAR COMES WITH FIXED HEADLIGHTS!!

*pops top off advil bottle*
*swallows contents of bottle*
*washes it down with a liter of Vodka*

They had to bring in a clean up crew after the puddle of drool I left around the C6. Not nearly as much as in Detroit in 06 though..

Frankly -- the response to this car far exceeds our expectations when looking at the many sites out there. Sorry that a few of you don't like what you see. I'm hoping that you'll change your mind when you see it in person.

In the final analysis -- most people on this site feel very strongly about Camaro -- I just ask you to hold off 'til you can sit in a production car -- then make final judgement.
True. Thats why I think it says "Caution: Strong Opinions Inside!"
and if it doesnt, it should...
Old 01-05-2008, 01:45 PM

Member RAMPANT was kind enough to clean up the interior with a photoshop pic of it. He did take some liberties with the center stack (and added a manual shift!!!) but are y'all REALLY that opposed to this? I think it looks killer.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10
Member RAMPANT was kind enough to clean up the interior with a photoshop pic of it. He did take some liberties with the center stack (and added a manual shift!!!) but are y'all REALLY that opposed to this? I think it looks killer.

That's EXACTLY what was in my mind!!!!!! I only wish I had the computer and artistic skills to do that

If the final product anywhere similar to this, those who scoff at GM and don't trust Scott shall eat a nice slice of humble pie!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:54 PM

That would be cool.

It looks better. Still not my cup of tea but he did a fairly good job with the photoshop. I guess we'll have to wait till the official GM pic is released of the interior.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:24 PM

The darkening of the pics does help, fixing the seats improves the overall look (obviously) and the center is WAY better (except for the large protruding *****).

Can you do something with the steering wheel in those photochops?

Bob

PS....I actually like the gauges in front of the shifter.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:53 PM

What I don't like are the colors (again, it's unfinished) and the shifter (it's the wrong kind ) I think that interior would look great in all black.
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
The darkening of the pics does help, fixing the seats improves the overall look (obviously) and the center is WAY better (except for the large protruding *****).

PS....I actually like the gauges in front of the shifter.
I had a feeling that seeing it in black would make a huge difference
Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
I respectfully disagree. The interior of the concept fit PERFECTLY with the concept's exterior. That was one reason the concept drew raves, and got awards. Its entire design (inside and out) were harmonious, and were successful as a modern vision with heritage design elements. IF the production interior is akin to that, it will also be in harmony with what we now know is the production exterior styling. There will always be some buyers who absolutely do not want such an interior... but that hasn't stopped hundreds of thousands of 05+ Mustang buyers from signing the papers....
No problem agreeing to disagree. I do realise that the concept got rave reviews and awards. This happened despite having an interior design that many did not like. I also realize that many liked the interior. It is a very polarizing design. I think there is a much better compromise that can be made that would appeal to a lot more potential buyers than this one that only appeals to some.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yeah, I'd be happier with the G8s interior as well. The binnacle, steering wheel, center stack, shifter, all of it.
G8 for me too!
Old 01-05-2008, 03:15 PM

Old 01-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Agreed. I've had several of my cars to a local drag strip. There's no time to sit there, gazing at your voltmeter! If something's wrong with oil pressure, the car's seriously messed up anyway and in need of major repair (and a light will be on somewhere on the dash). This is not 1964! People simply do not monitor oil pressure, volts, not even temps constantly like they used to. It's "nice" to have such gages... but not something people stare at while driving in a spirited fashion. Road, speed, and tach are the big eye magnets... but even speed and tach are not stared at a lot by a good race driver, shifting is often done more by sound and feel than by watching a tach.
Who said anything about the dragstrip?

And for the record, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS monitor what is going on with the vital fluids of my car and truck. Whether I'm just running to the store or I'm towing the car to some race 800 miles distant.

Obviously I do not stare at the car's gauges during an autocross run but for sure right after on the way back to grid (if the adrenaline doesn't have me twitching too bad ) and DEFINITELY if I were on track.

Originally Posted by willz
Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about..... on a track designed for those speeds... i.e. a road course. Obviously you're not aware that a surprising number of people actually track their cars and they (we) need to be able to monitor the fluids during a 20 minute lapping session.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Who said anything about the dragstrip?

And for the record, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS monitor what is going on with the vital fluids of my car and truck. Whether I'm just running to the store or I'm towing the car to some race 800 miles distant.

Obviously I do not stare at the car's gauges during an autocross run but for sure right after on the way back to grid (if the adrenaline doesn't have me twitching too bad ) and DEFINITELY if I were on track.

Yes, that's EXACTLY what I'm talking about..... on a track designed for those speeds... i.e. a road course. Obviously you're not aware that a surprising number of people actually track their cars and they (we) need to be able to monitor the fluids during a 20 minute lapping session.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that less than 10% of the camaros sold will ever see a track as a brand new car.

Quick Reply: [Interior] NEWS: Spy Shots: 2009 Chevy Camaro caught - interior too!