Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:52 PM

Bilstein Shocks

Well I installed my new Bilstein shocks on the rear and I gotta tell ya,I ain't as young as I used to be.But it's done and now I have a very crisp ride.The original shocks were 1 1/2 inches wide and the new ones are 1 7/8 wide and weigh twice as much.(part #24-024075) as recommended by Bilstein.I am getting a few rattles that I didn't have before but that's ok for now.I did do tons of research before this install including the LS1 tech page so that helped.One thing I did do right was to tighten all the nuts down to spec while it was on the ground and not jacked up like some utube videos did.(My brother in laws torque wrench from harbor freight does not work very well).So I turned the nuts by feel.Anyway,when I go to have the front done,I'll have them check the back ones.(13 lbs. top---60lbs. bottom.)More of a touchy feely thing as to not brake anything.Hope this helps someone.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:49 AM

Re: Bilstein Shocks

Thanks for the info Fatdog2!

I am going to get the SLP Bilsteins put in my car next spring. Did you notice the car sitting higher? That is my only worry getting new shocks. Make sure you post when you get the fronts done on the results such as handling and road noise, and any odd noises as you have described.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:06 PM

Hi,I did notice the car sitting a little higher when finished,but after driving around a little it looks like it settled down to normal.One thing I noticed was the bump stops on the frame for the axle are deteriorating but can't see spending $75.00 to $100.00 for the pair.Junkyard time I guess.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Energy Suspension makes a universal bump stop for Jeeps that bolts right on 4th Gen F-Bodies. About $25 a pair.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:28 AM

Many thanks Injuneer.Again you came to the rescue.Many times when I do a search for this or that,the Jeep products pop up and I don't get it.You are great.Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:25 AM

Well, I just ordered them---part #9.9137.from Aftermarket suspension parts.com and after reading the 5 f-body reviews and some slight modifications these will work fine.$24.14 shipped for the pair.Again many thanks Injuneer.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:26 AM

Oh, the Jeep it was intended for is the 1976 Jeep CJ7.Whew.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Wish I would have known about these. I bought the Chevrolet Performance bump stops for $53.00 each @ Summit. I can't complain too much as they are very high quality & bolted right up.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by RiverMutant96
Wish I would have known about these. I bought the Chevrolet Performance bump stops for $53.00 each @ Summit. I can't complain too much as they are very high quality & bolted right up.
I should have gone that way as well.I cut the ribs off,then discovered yes the new jeep stops bolt right up but then discovered these are great if you have lowered springs.So did more research and decided I needed I needed to lower these things down to fact. spec.,so went to Carquest autoparts store and got longer bolts washers and nuts to make up the difference in length for factory height.Bolt #423-440 is direct fit,#430008 nuts,mtm 44364 washers,all stainless.I get back home and lost one of the bolt stop brackets and went crazy looking for it.Tore everything apart in garage and beater car trying to find the missing bump stop.After a week of looking for it and asking family members if they took it,I went to the junk yard and picked up another one and on the way I picked up a stone on the windshield on the beater car and now my windshield has a one foot crack in it.So I didn't need to shave the rib off after all.It's all fixed up great now,but I envy you.Sorry for the long post but that's what happened.Hope this helps.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:26 AM

After the dust cleared I saved about $40.00 or so.But ?????
Old 09-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Are you sure someone hadn't already changed out your bump stops. I still have my factory units and they are held on by screws, not nuts and bolts. The bracket in the photo was cut back to clear the rim of my 11.0" wide wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Bilstein Shocks-fendmas2.jpg  
Old 09-05-2016, 11:53 PM

Thanks Injuneer but these were original bump stops I just copied another web sites picture and you are right these are hex nut screws but I guess I went overboard a little but I'm good now.(Your stops look real good).
Old 11-17-2016, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by deebee
Thanks for the info Fatdog2!

I am going to get the SLP Bilsteins put in my car next spring. Did you notice the car sitting higher? That is my only worry getting new shocks. Make sure you post when you get the fronts done on the results such as handling and road noise, and any odd noises as you have described.
Well,I had the front shocks installed today along with the wheel alignment --$200.00 labor.To me it was worth it as after looking at what needed to be done I thought,naa,so I had it done and lived to talk about it.Anyway,I took the car for a run just outside of L.A. on a long highway and I gotta tell ya,the car height stayed the same but the ride is tight.The car is very responsive but you feel everything on the road.My new drivers side mirror I installed last week is already is shaking.I'm looking for a little rubber spacer to pry in between the mirror and the mirror housing.All in all I'm really happy with the new Bilsteins but I really need to get my sub frame connectors next.(Spohn).Hope this helps.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Shocks should not significantly affect ride height. The springs are still in control. I guess if you replaced old worn shocks that had lost their gas pressure, new shocks might make a very minor difference, but I doubt you would notice it.