LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

LS1 brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:37 PM

Post LS1 brake upgrade

I realize this subject has come up before...just want to see from some of you out there just how much better the LS1 brake package is...and also just how bad some of you feel the LT1 brakes are/were! I can honestly say that LT1 brakes in the wet are scary...even borderline unsafe IMO - even with new pads. Does anyone out there agree?
Old 08-29-2002, 05:40 PM

I did the LS1 upgrade. I dont know why the lt1 brakes were that way. but I would like mine to be better still. but $$ talks and it is telling me to wait.

------------------
1994 Green/Grey matalic Camaro Z28 !CAGS-CAI-Ported MAF-AZSM 52mm TB-1LE Elbow-UD Pullies-Ported MAF-Fireball HI-6 + LX92 Coil-B&M Ripper-RKSport Headers-SLP Y Pipe-Random Tech Cat-Borla Cat Back-HPP+-160 Therm-LS1 Brakes-Eibach Pro Kit-and one BIG A$$ Rediculously Oversized Chrome Valve Breather
Old 10-15-2002, 07:59 PM

Re: LS1 brake upgrade

Originally posted by vals95z
I realize this subject has come up before...just want to see from some of you out there just how much better the LS1 brake package is...and also just how bad some of you feel the LT1 brakes are/were! I can honestly say that LT1 brakes in the wet are scary...even borderline unsafe IMO - even with new pads. Does anyone out there agree?
If you're just doing normal street driving the stock brakes should be just fine. If yours aren't then you have a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed in the name of safety. My stock brakes were just fine in the wet, and if yours are "scary" its time to do some troubleshooting. Are your pads worn out, have you disconnected any lines that would have introduced air into the system? These are things to check along with the condition of the rotors. If they're riddled with wear grooves then its time for new ones.
Cheapest upgrade is a good set of pads. I would recommend Performance Friction's Z-Rated pads. You could also use the regular Carbon Metalic ones but the Z-Rated pads stop better and harder when they get hot.
Next in price would be the front brakes from the LS1 cars. Bigger rotors and 2-piston calipers instead of the single piston ones from the LT1 cars make a noticable improvement in heavy duty braking. The same Performance Friction pads would be a worthwhile investment for that brake setup as well.
Next in expense would be the kits to put C5 front brakes on your Camaro. I think I've seen them for around $850 or so. Better braking than the LS1's but at a signifigantly higher price.
If money is no object, and if you're doing some serious road racing or high speed autocrossing, then look at the high-end kits from Baer or Wildwood. Pricey but these are the brakes of the stars so to speak.

Last edited by DWoodAudio; 10-15-2002 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:45 PM

Info and a contact name to buy the C5 upgrade stuff can be found at www.nashvillespeed.com

Considering its all new parts its really pretty cheap. Have to have 17" wheels to fit it though.