N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Looking at getting nitrous Need some advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Looking at getting nitrous Need some advice?

got a 95 z28 lt1 and it has hypertech, moroso cai, and exhaust with 373 gears. I want to get a 150 nitrous kit but i need to know what i should get also. and with those mods what do you think my cars horsepower would be? thanks
Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 PM

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=496116
Read the stickies....1-7 are a must, 8 is a good idea. I think 7 is for later model f bodies, earlier model use a WOT switch Look into nitrousoutlet, they offer great kits and are a site sponsor.
Something that wasnt mentioned in the sticky was a way to retard your timing when under spray. The mallory 685 box is a window switch and retard box in one. Or MSD offers products if they are your preferred brand. If you are wanting to spray 150 then look into a possible new fuel pump, i upgraded to the racetronix pump when i put on my kit

Last edited by Moshbmx1; 11-21-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:16 PM

A purge and bottle heater are NOT a must.

Come to think of it NONE of those are a must except 6 and 7.

Colder plugs, window, tps, FPSS, is pretty much a bare bones system. And some pulled timing is a very good idea.

I'm going to run a Mallory 685, FPSS, colder plugs, 150 shot wet.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
A purge and bottle heater are NOT a must.

Come to think of it NONE of those are a must except 6 and 7.

Colder plugs, window, tps, FPSS, is pretty much a bare bones system. And some pulled timing is a very good idea.

I'm going to run a Mallory 685, FPSS, colder plugs, 150 shot wet.
So you enjoy spraying air into the intake that has been in the line for awhile? And you enjoy having an inconsistent bottle pressure? Sweet....good luck, i prefer to be safe
Old 11-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moshbmx1
So you enjoy spraying air into the intake that has been in the line for awhile? And you enjoy having an inconsistent bottle pressure? Sweet....good luck, i prefer to be safe
Oh man air in your intake?! Holy crap!

Inconsistent bottle pressure... sounds like it'll blow your motor! Cause we all know pressure naturally goes up.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Inconsistent bottle pressure... sounds like it'll blow your motor! Cause we all know pressure naturally goes up.
Wow...amazing logic....i quit
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 AM

I think he was just trying to help, don't you? My system cost a good buck, but I prefer to have everything I need to make it as safe and consistent as possible.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 AM

I think you're tempting fate with a 150 shot on a stock LT1 piston (if that's what you still have). I would go 100hp max, or be prepared for a rebuild sooner rather than later. Of course, there will be somebody here saying how they run a 200 shot with no timing retard, stock pistons and 150k on their motor, but I blew my 55k motor with a 100 shot. Cracked/melted a ring land. It might have leaned out, but I couldn't be sure. At the very least I would get the best fuel system you can afford (the Racetronix kit is great, but can be duplicated cheaper with a little bit of effort), and pull timing when spraying. Many things on the list Mosh linked to will also make you more consistent.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jasonface
I think you're tempting fate with a 150 shot on a stock LT1 piston (if that's what you still have). I would go 100hp max, or be prepared for a rebuild sooner rather than later. Of course, there will be somebody here saying how they run a 200 shot with no timing retard, stock pistons and 150k on their motor, but I blew my 55k motor with a 100 shot. Cracked/melted a ring land. It might have leaned out, but I couldn't be sure. At the very least I would get the best fuel system you can afford (the Racetronix kit is great, but can be duplicated cheaper with a little bit of effort), and pull timing when spraying. Many things on the list Mosh linked to will also make you more consistent.
I like tempting the nitrous and or rwhp gods. Last time on the dyno with a few tweaks the 31k shortblock made 360rwhp. Add to that a 130rwhp shot and you have to wonder how many passes it has in it before something goes boom.
I have tried to be as safe as possible though. A lot of dyno time and a little luck so far. Knock on wood.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:52 PM

Everyone has covered this pretty well, but feel free to PM, email or call me with any questions you might have.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moshbmx1
The purge does not eliminate "air" from the system. It vents the N2O that has vaporized. The only downside of not purging that vapor is a bit of delay in liquid nitrous flow. Some people may find the resulting "soft" hit to be more of a benefit than a problem.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The purge does not eliminate "air" from the system. It vents the N2O that has vaporized. The only downside of not purging that vapor is a bit of delay in liquid nitrous flow. Some people may find the resulting "soft" hit to be more of a benefit than a problem.
It can also demoralize the competition!

Rich
Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 AM

Some people may find the resulting "soft" hit to be more of a benefit than a problem.

My 315 BFG Drag radials can't handle a hit in first gear at all, let alone a "hard" hit.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:55 AM

I put it in simplier terms and just called it air...sorry
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 PM

N20 needs a good exhaust setup. Long tubes and a cutout will make a huge difference in the amount of power you will get from a 100 shot. If you cant afford LT headers at least get a cutout.

but the first step would be to sell that hypertech and get a pcm tune. Otherwise pull timing and make sure fuel isnt an issue and you should be good to go.