CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   N2O Tech (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/n2o-tech-23/)
-   -   Looking at getting nitrous Need some advice? (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/n2o-tech-23/looking-getting-nitrous-need-some-advice-650527/)

Trent_speed 11-20-2008 08:49 PM

Looking at getting nitrous Need some advice?

got a 95 z28 lt1 and it has hypertech, moroso cai, and exhaust with 373 gears. I want to get a 150 nitrous kit but i need to know what i should get also. and with those mods what do you think my cars horsepower would be? thanks

Moshbmx1 11-21-2008 02:34 PM

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=496116
Read the stickies....1-7 are a must, 8 is a good idea. I think 7 is for later model f bodies, earlier model use a WOT switch Look into nitrousoutlet, they offer great kits and are a site sponsor.
Something that wasnt mentioned in the sticky was a way to retard your timing when under spray. The mallory 685 box is a window switch and retard box in one. Or MSD offers products if they are your preferred brand. If you are wanting to spray 150 then look into a possible new fuel pump, i upgraded to the racetronix pump when i put on my kit

LSWHO 11-21-2008 03:16 PM

A purge and bottle heater are NOT a must.

Come to think of it NONE of those are a must except 6 and 7.

Colder plugs, window, tps, FPSS, is pretty much a bare bones system. And some pulled timing is a very good idea.

I'm going to run a Mallory 685, FPSS, colder plugs, 150 shot wet.

Moshbmx1 11-21-2008 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO (Post 5697378)
A purge and bottle heater are NOT a must.

Come to think of it NONE of those are a must except 6 and 7.

Colder plugs, window, tps, FPSS, is pretty much a bare bones system. And some pulled timing is a very good idea.

I'm going to run a Mallory 685, FPSS, colder plugs, 150 shot wet.

So you enjoy spraying air into the intake that has been in the line for awhile? And you enjoy having an inconsistent bottle pressure? Sweet....good luck, i prefer to be safe

LSWHO 11-21-2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Moshbmx1 (Post 5697460)
So you enjoy spraying air into the intake that has been in the line for awhile? And you enjoy having an inconsistent bottle pressure? Sweet....good luck, i prefer to be safe

Oh man air in your intake?! Holy crap!

Inconsistent bottle pressure... sounds like it'll blow your motor! Cause we all know pressure naturally goes up.

Moshbmx1 11-21-2008 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO (Post 5697760)

Inconsistent bottle pressure... sounds like it'll blow your motor! Cause we all know pressure naturally goes up.

Wow...amazing logic....i quit:rolleyes:

Z-RATED94 11-22-2008 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by LSWHO (Post 5697760)

I think he was just trying to help, don't you? My system cost a good buck, but I prefer to have everything I need to make it as safe and consistent as possible.

jasonface 11-22-2008 09:30 AM

I think you're tempting fate with a 150 shot on a stock LT1 piston (if that's what you still have). I would go 100hp max, or be prepared for a rebuild sooner rather than later. Of course, there will be somebody here saying how they run a 200 shot with no timing retard, stock pistons and 150k on their motor, but I blew my 55k motor with a 100 shot. Cracked/melted a ring land. It might have leaned out, but I couldn't be sure. At the very least I would get the best fuel system you can afford (the Racetronix kit is great, but can be duplicated cheaper with a little bit of effort), and pull timing when spraying. Many things on the list Mosh linked to will also make you more consistent.

Z-RATED94 11-22-2008 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by jasonface (Post 5698157)
I think you're tempting fate with a 150 shot on a stock LT1 piston (if that's what you still have). I would go 100hp max, or be prepared for a rebuild sooner rather than later. Of course, there will be somebody here saying how they run a 200 shot with no timing retard, stock pistons and 150k on their motor, but I blew my 55k motor with a 100 shot. Cracked/melted a ring land. It might have leaned out, but I couldn't be sure. At the very least I would get the best fuel system you can afford (the Racetronix kit is great, but can be duplicated cheaper with a little bit of effort), and pull timing when spraying. Many things on the list Mosh linked to will also make you more consistent.

I like tempting the nitrous and or rwhp gods. Last time on the dyno with a few tweaks the 31k shortblock made 360rwhp. Add to that a 130rwhp shot and you have to wonder how many passes it has in it before something goes boom.
I have tried to be as safe as possible though. A lot of dyno time and a little luck so far. Knock on wood.

Ray@NitroDaves 11-24-2008 01:52 PM

Everyone has covered this pretty well, but feel free to PM, email or call me with any questions you might have.

Injuneer 11-24-2008 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Moshbmx1 (Post 5697460)

The purge does not eliminate "air" from the system. It vents the N2O that has vaporized. The only downside of not purging that vapor is a bit of delay in liquid nitrous flow. Some people may find the resulting "soft" hit to be more of a benefit than a problem.

rskrause 11-24-2008 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer (Post 5702069)
The purge does not eliminate "air" from the system. It vents the N2O that has vaporized. The only downside of not purging that vapor is a bit of delay in liquid nitrous flow. Some people may find the resulting "soft" hit to be more of a benefit than a problem.

It can also demoralize the competition!

Rich

jasonface 11-25-2008 12:09 AM

:yes:

Some people may find the resulting "soft" hit to be more of a benefit than a problem.

:yes:

My 315 BFG Drag radials can't handle a hit in first gear at all, let alone a "hard" hit.

Moshbmx1 11-25-2008 09:55 AM

I put it in simplier terms and just called it air...sorry :cry:

slomarao 11-25-2008 09:04 PM

N20 needs a good exhaust setup. Long tubes and a cutout will make a huge difference in the amount of power you will get from a 100 shot. If you cant afford LT headers at least get a cutout.

but the first step would be to sell that hypertech and get a pcm tune. Otherwise pull timing and make sure fuel isnt an issue and you should be good to go.