General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Windshield wiper problem???

Old 07-11-2003, 09:50 PM

Question Windshield wiper problem???

Hello,
I haven't posted in a while, got a new job a while back and didn't have internet at the new house till now. Anyhow.
I've been having this problem for a few years and it never got worse or better. When I use the wipers, any setting, they usually work just fine but after a little while they just shut off and go back to the bottom of the windshield. Then they only work if I hit the washer squirt tab. Sometimes after the wipers go back and forth a few times they will continue to work at whatever setting I had it on before they died and sometimes I have to hit the washers a few times before they work again. It doesn't seem to be affected by the motor or anything getting wet cause it's done it even when it's dry outside. Is this a relay problem or something else? What do you people think? Thanks in advance.

Oh I have to update my profile, but I now have 55k miles, added some Hotchkis rear lower control arms, panhard bar and a SLP Loudmouth cat-back.

Later,
Jeremy
Old 10-21-2020, 07:10 PM

Re: Windshield wiper problem???

Anyone have an idea about this? Never got it fixed and still have the same problem all these years later
Old 10-23-2020, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy95LT1Form
When I use the wipers, any setting, they usually work just fine but after a little while they just shut off and go back to the bottom of the windshield.
When the wipers stop operating, what happens if you turn the switch to the off position? Do the wipers go into the park position? Depending on your electrical skills, the pictures below may help in diagnosing your problem.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. When the wipers stop working they go to the bottom and stop in the down position. Almost like I switched them off myself. They don’t stop mid wipe or in the up position. The weird part is they starting working again if I hit the squirt tab on the stalk. This usually gets them going again for anywhere from a few minutes to hours. Been a gremlin I haven’t been able to track down for over 15 years.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:12 AM

Sounds like your switch is faulty.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:48 PM

Did you figure it out?

I’m recalling from working on a Third Gen, the wiper switch- not the selector on the stalk- is actually part of the steering column. Real pain to replace and requires removal of the steering whee, airbag, etc.

Troubleshooting might take hours if you’re not great at pouring over wiring diagrams. An easy thing to do might be to swap the wiper motor/ cover if it’s able to be replaced separately. The wiper motors have a control board inside the front cover that can go bad. Moisture eventually gets into them and BBQ’s the electronics. I went through something very similar with a 3rd Gen. The control board went bad. Wipers would randomly turn off, or when on delay setting, sometimes they just won’t sweep anymore without using the washer or mist setting.