LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Lt1 Header Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:27 PM

Lt1 Header Opinions

Recently bought a 97 z28 back in February with 98k on it and a terrible miss fire. After rebuilding the top end and replacing the wires and opti it finally runs strong. I am now getting into options for more power and headers are the first thing that came to mind considering I bought the car with a cat back on it. Just wanted some opinions and also what I should buy with the headers. (ex. y pipe)
Thanks
Old 09-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Re: Lt1 Header Opinions

Not the forum for tech questions. Post on Exhaust, LT1 Based Engine Tech, or General 67-02 F-Body Tech forums. Or I can move it for you.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Not the forum for tech questions. Post on Exhaust, LT1 Based Engine Tech, or General 67-02 F-Body Tech forums. Or I can move it for you.
Could you move it for me please? I am new to the forums
Old 09-28-2015, 11:28 AM

What is your budget?
Old 09-28-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by FredM
What is your budget?
I'd say around 600-700, I don't need anything as nice as kooks even though they would be nice.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:56 PM
Administrator

You going to install them yourself?

Where are you located, and what are the emissions requirements - tail pipe and visual, where you live? Do you plan to keep or delete: ...cat? ....EGR? .....AIR?

Shorties and mid-length typically come with a Y-pipe. Long tubes generally require separate purchase of the Y-pipe. Some headers come with gaskets and bolts, but it's a good idea to upgrade to better gaskets and ARP bolts.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:52 PM

You going to install them yourself?

Where are you located, and what are the emissions requirements - tail pipe and visual, where you live? Do you plan to keep or delete: ...cat? ....EGR? .....AIR?

Shorties and mid-length typically come with a Y-pipe. Long tubes generally require separate purchase of the Y-pipe. Some headers come with gaskets and bolts, but it's a good idea to upgrade to better gaskets and ARP bolts.
I live in PA so I believe I just have to worry about the cats. I don't mind deleting the Egr and air I'll just have to get it tuned out. Definitely want to go with long tubes. I was looking at the pacesetters with the emission capable hook ups and they seemed pretty liked along with the y pipe. They also seem like good for the price. Gaskets and arp bolts are something I think I'd invest in. What would I have to do for the cats?

Last edited by Ks0209; 09-28-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Administrator

A 97 has two cats, one on each bank. Still depends on what type emissions inspection you face. Long tubes relocate the cats from the stock position. That's a violation of Federal law. But not all states, or jurisdictions enforce the law. If they test for NOx, you may fail without EGR. EGR and AIR really have no impact on performance.

You will need a catted Y-pipe, and harness extensions for the 4-wire heated O2 sensors
Old 09-29-2015, 01:09 PM

A 97 has two cats, one on each bank. Still depends on what type emissions inspection you face. Long tubes relocate the cats from the stock position. That's a violation of Federal law. But not all states, or jurisdictions enforce the law. If they test for NOx, you may fail without EGR. EGR and AIR really have no impact on performance.

You will need a catted Y-pipe, and harness extensions for the 4-wire heated O2 sensors
I've done some more research and decided to buy a pacesetter y pipe and have a shop weld in the cats in the correct spots so it will pass emissions and visual. Do you recommend any cats to use whether I should use a bullet cat or a full size even brands? I'm also planning on getting the pacesetters with the emission hookups so I don't have to worry about tuning out egr or the air pump along with the fact that the air pump helps the cats.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM
Administrator

With long tubes, you can't fit both cats in the stock location. The driver's side cat is right at the bottom of the exhaust manifold, up against the engine block. Long tubes will move the cat at least 1.5-ft away from that location.

Find out what your local inspection requirements are. Not everyone enforces the Federal law. Some will just look and make sure there are two cats, since they don't really know where the stockers were even located.

From buddies in PA, I believe there is one set of inspection requirements for urban areas, and another set for rural areas. PAys to check.

When I first had my engine built, I was running modified AS&M mid-length headers, a custom 3" Y-pipe with dual CarSound cats, into a Mufflex 4" catback. CarSounds worked fine, considering it was making almost 500 HP at the flywheel. Technically a violation, because a 94 only had one cat, and Federal law prohibits changing the number of cats. That's when you need a friend at the inspection station.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 AM

With long tubes, you can't fit both cats in the stock location. The driver's side cat is right at the bottom of the exhaust manifold, up against the engine block. Long tubes will move the cat at least 1.5-ft away from that location.

Find out what your local inspection requirements are. Not everyone enforces the Federal law. Some will just look and make sure there are two cats, since they don't really know where the stockers were even located.

From buddies in PA, I believe there is one set of inspection requirements for urban areas, and another set for rural areas. PAys to check.

When I first had my engine built, I was running modified AS&M mid-length headers, a custom 3" Y-pipe with dual CarSound cats, into a Mufflex 4" catback. CarSounds worked fine, considering it was making almost 500 HP at the flywheel. Technically a violation, because a 94 only had one cat, and Federal law prohibits changing the number of cats. That's when you need a friend at the inspection station.

I believe Pa has a visual inspection also just to make sure there are cats I don't believe if they are moved it will be problem. I think I'm going to go with what you did but i am going to check up more on the inspection laws before I do anything.