General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 04:20 PM

Re: stumped

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The most common cause of DTC 33/34 is the harness connector, not the Map sensor itself. At this age they are dried out and crumbling, resulting in intermittent contact problems. But if I read his post correctly, replacing the MAP sensor eliminated the code. Just keep in mind it may be a connector problem if the code comes back.

The MAP code and the DTC 32 EGR code may be interconnected. The diagnostic for DTC 32 cycles the EGR valve and looks for an expected change in MAP reading. But the diagnostic will not be run if DTC 33 or 34 is set.

EGR functions primarily at low RPM cruise, then lugging the engine and trying to accelerate without downshifting to the correct gear. So yes, lack of EGR flow under those conditions could cause knock retard, which would feel like a loss of power.

But trying to do a heavy accel in O/D, under 2,000 RPM builds high combustion chamber pressures, which stresses the ignition components, and any weakness in the ignition system shows up as a misfire. Something else you need to look at.
That was very helpful, thank you. Ive had a couple people tell me it sounds like a miss. Ill be checking plugs and injectors this weekend. I did notice the harness to the map was brittle, ill change that when i take care of the intake manifold gaskets.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by mr.segrams
That was very helpful, thank you. Ive had a couple people tell me it sounds like a miss. Ill be checking plugs and injectors this weekend. I did notice the harness to the map was brittle, ill change that when i take care of the intake manifold gaskets.
I was just going to throw in the idea of stopping at an auto parts store such as O'Reillys, they usually have a code scanner you can borrow to pull codes, but if you are going with software, then that's even better. Interested to see how things end up. Good luck to you.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Heres an update. Took the camaro in for scanning. Came back with a m.a.p. error code. Replaced it. Also had an egr 32 code. Took valve off and cleaned it, not the issue. I need to find a vacuum pump thing and further trouble shoot egr. Would an egr malfunction cause my symptoms, the stumbleing or shaking when trying to accelerate under 2000 rpm?
Originally Posted by ksspeed
I was just going to throw in the idea of stopping at an auto parts store such as O'Reillys, they usually have a code scanner you can borrow to pull codes, but if you are going with software, then that's even better. Interested to see how things end up. Good luck to you.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The most common cause of DTC 33/34 is the harness connector, not the Map sensor itself. At this age they are dried out and crumbling, resulting in intermittent contact problems. But if I read his post correctly, replacing the MAP sensor eliminated the code. Just keep in mind it may be a connector problem if the code comes back.

The MAP code and the DTC 32 EGR code may be interconnected. The diagnostic for DTC 32 cycles the EGR valve and looks for an expected change in MAP reading. But the diagnostic will not be run if DTC 33 or 34 is set.

EGR functions primarily at low RPM cruise, then lugging the engine and trying to accelerate without downshifting to the correct gear. So yes, lack of EGR flow under those conditions could cause knock retard, which would feel like a loss of power.

But trying to do a heavy accel in O/D, under 2,000 RPM builds high combustion chamber pressures, which stresses the ignition components, and any weakness in the ignition system shows up as a misfire. Something else you need to look at.
Has any one used the aldldroid program for use on android phone or tablet?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM

I feel silly. Thank you for direction. My very back plug on the passenger side was loose. Shes running like a champ! I wish shops around here didnt charge so much for dyno hits. Id really like to know were im at hp wise. Now on to this oil leak. Thank you guys again.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:21 AM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Has any one used the aldldroid program for use on android phone or tablet?
I have and it works well at about $20. You have to use a special file with it that describes your pcm but there are some available for free. I can send you the one I use if you want. The only issue is that you have to use a Bluetooth cable for OBD1 and they are rare and a bit pricey at about $80. Theoretically you can write the descriptions for the ABS and SIR modules, but I am not ware of anyone that has those files. The app is a bit primitive in appearance.

12 Pin Aldl OBD1 Bluetooth Code Reader Scanner Adapter | eBay