General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 09:20 PM

stumped

Let me start by saying thank you. I use this site regularly for er thing ive done to my z28. The info on this site is priceless. Thank you. On to me, im very green when it comes to mechanical work, most id done before getting a camaro was changing oil and sparkplugs, witch spark plugs on a toyota celica, no big deal, changing plugs on a 94 z28, holy 6 hour job batman.

On to the car, 1994 camaro z28, a4, convertable. Mods ive done so far, prothane engine and tranny mount, msd complete optispark, ac delco double platnum plugs, msd 8mm spark plug wires, cheap cai pipeing with k&n high flow filter, k&n oil and fuel filter. And i still have a bunch of stuff. Fun and yet frustrating as a Chihuahua that wont stop humping your leg.

On to the issue. I broke 3 tranny mounts due to an oil leak i assume is coming from the rear of the intake manifold. After researching on this site, i decided to go poly witch ment engine mounts as well, however, before i got to the install, one of the motor mounts failed and i was experiencing earthquake like shaking apon the slightest bit of acceleration. No big deal, ive got a set of sexy poly mounts on the way. First weekend i did the drivers side and tranny mount, i talked myself out of doing the passenger side as it looked like a serious undertaking. Well turns out that was the side that failed and at freeway speeds (60 to 80) in overdrive if i stepped on the gas she shook terribly. So i grew a pair and got the passenger side done. ITS STILL SHAKING! I mean what the duece. Those mounts are solid, they're on there right, idk whats going on, shes fine at launch up to same speeds, the shaking isnt as bad but its there. And im pretty sure i have an exaust leak at the flange were the manifold and y pipe connect. I need some help as i can find nothing on the internet regarding this issue.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:25 PM

Re: stumped

IDK what an oil leak would have to do with breaking trans mounts, but poly mounts transmit even more vibration, because they are more solid. So, if your vibration is due to a miss or something else, you are going to feel it even more.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
IDK what an oil leak would have to do with breaking trans mounts, but poly mounts transmit even more vibration, because they are more solid. So, if your vibration is due to a miss or something else, you are going to feel it even more.
Is this the same shoebox that put up the tech site for lt1s?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mr.segrams
Is this the same shoebox that put up the tech site for lt1s?
The entire underside of my car is covered in oil. I read that the oil deteriorates rubber over time. Ive checked my plugs and theyre good. A buddy from work who builds engines says im running rich. I also running with no muffler till this weekend. Would what evers causing the rich running condition or the exaust leak cause abnormal shaking at high speeds?

Last edited by mr.segrams; 06-13-2016 at 09:42 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 06-13-2016, 10:34 PM

The entire underside of my car is covered in oil. I read that the oil deteriorates rubber over time. Ive checked my plugs and theyre good. A buddy from work who builds engines says im running rich. I also running with no muffler till this weekend. Would what evers causing the rich running condition or the exaust leak cause abnormal shaking at high speeds?
Well, thats that. Thank you for that awsome site if you are the same shoebox.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 AM

Oil shouldn't be the sole contributor to mount failure. If a little oil killed mounts, everyone's would be bad.

As far as your exhaust goes, if the only part you don't have is the muffler, it should not affect the a/f ratio significantly. Your leak at the manifold will. If you are having some missing/ignition issues, that would cause unburnt fuel.

Yes, I am the same shoebox. Just look at my sig.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Yes, the very same Shoebox!

If the entire underside of the chassis is covered with oil, and it's accumulating around the trans mount and somehow causing them to break (seriously doubt it) it's a far more serious problem than the intake manifold leak. Over what period of time did you replace the three trans mounts?

Sounds like a serious engine shake or a driveshaft shake that's literally tearing the trans and motor mounts apart. And, just because you install a poly trans mount, you don't need to replace the motor mounts. In one place you indicate the motor mounts are Prothane. Later you say they are solid. Which is it? As Rob notes, solid mounts will amplify vibrations.

Are you sure you got the Opti drive shaft indexed correctly? Are you sure you have the plug wires connected to the correct plugs? Have you ever scanned it for codes? Is the SES light on?
Old 06-14-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Yes, the very same Shoebox!

If the entire underside of the chassis is covered with oil, and it's accumulating around the trans mount and somehow causing them to break (seriously doubt it) it's a far more serious problem than the intake manifold leak. Over what period of time did you replace the three trans mounts?

Sounds like a serious engine shake or a driveshaft shake that's literally tearing the trans and motor mounts apart. And, just because you install a poly trans mount, you don't need to replace the motor mounts. In one place you indicate the motor mounts are Prothane. Later you say they are solid. Which is it? As Rob notes, solid mounts will amplify vibrations.

Are you sure you got the Opti drive shaft indexed correctly? Are you sure you have the plug wires connected to the correct plugs? Have you ever scanned it for codes? Is the SES light on?
By solid i ment theyre good, installed corectly i apologize for the confusion. There is a ses light, comes and goes. Havnt been able to get it scanned yet, the mechanic and the dealership has called in sick both times i had an apointment to get it scanned. Im takeing it to a defferent shop this weekend. I marked all the wires and did each plug and wire 1 at a time to ensure i didnt make that mistake. Im not 100% on the opti, i lined up the the whatchmacallits and it went on all the way. She runs really good for the most part. Im hopeing i didnt screw somthing up when i jacked the engine up to swap out the mounts. Oh trans mount, first one the dealership did before i finalized the sale, second one id say was around 10,000 miles later and im on the 3rd the prothane mount.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:22 PM

By solid i ment theyre good, installed corectly i apologize for the confusion. There is a ses light, comes and goes. Havnt been able to get it scanned yet, the mechanic and the dealership has called in sick both times i had an apointment to get it scanned. Im takeing it to a defferent shop this weekend. I marked all the wires and did each plug and wire 1 at a time to ensure i didnt make that mistake. Im not 100% on the opti, i lined up the the whatchmacallits and it went on all the way. She runs really good for the most part. Im hopeing i didnt screw somthing up when i jacked the engine up to swap out the mounts. Oh trans mount, first one the dealership did before i finalized the sale, second one id say was around 10,000 miles later and im on the 3rd the prothane mount.
Forgot to mention, and im not sure if it is anything, the worst of the shake is when im in overdrive. 1,2,and 3 gear is smooth and simply awsome, when i go into od thats when i get the shaking especialy between 55mph and 70mph
Old 06-14-2016, 05:05 PM
Administrator

When you're in O/D the converter locks up, and any misfire or engine irregularity will be significantly more noticeable.

We have a link to a free download of scanning software specifically for the 1993-95 LT1, called Scan9495. It will pull codes, allow you to clear codes, and most importantly, run a data log of the PCM including the sensors and operating parameters. And it can scan for the airbag and ABS system. There are a couple of us who can review the data log for you.

Download is free, if there is any problem with the install on your PC/laptop the author of the system is active on this site and fast to help out. You will need to buy or build a data cable.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/
Old 06-14-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
When you're in O/D the converter locks up, and any misfire or engine irregularity will be significantly more noticeable.

We have a link to a free download of scanning software specifically for the 1993-95 LT1, called Scan9495. It will pull codes, allow you to clear codes, and most importantly, run a data log of the PCM including the sensors and operating parameters. And it can scan for the airbag and ABS system. There are a couple of us who can review the data log for you.

Download is free, if there is any problem with the install on your PC/laptop the author of the system is active on this site and fast to help out. You will need to buy or build a data cable.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/
Buying a laptop this weekend specifily for that purpose. I read a couple threads on that program.
I happened across a thread on ls1lt1.com. Guy was having the same issue. Under 2000 rpm, when he accelerates he gets shaking. Seems the consensus was his maf. I cleaned my today at work and ill see if that fixes it. Thank you for the imput. Hopefully ill have some data next week.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:40 PM

Buying a laptop this weekend specifily for that purpose. I read a couple threads on that program.
I happened across a thread on ls1lt1.com. Guy was having the same issue. Under 2000 rpm, when he accelerates he gets shaking. Seems the consensus was his maf. I cleaned my today at work and ill see if that fixes it. Thank you for the imput. Hopefully ill have some data next week.
Well, cleaned the maf. Theres defanatly an improvement in over all performance but the shakes are still there and now ses light is on and staying on.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:25 PM

Well, cleaned the maf. Theres defanatly an improvement in over all performance but the shakes are still there and now ses light is on and staying on.
Heres an update. Took the camaro in for scanning. Came back with a m.a.p. error code. Replaced it. Also had an egr 32 code. Took valve off and cleaned it, not the issue. I need to find a vacuum pump thing and further trouble shoot egr. Would an egr malfunction cause my symptoms, the stumbleing or shaking when trying to accelerate under 2000 rpm?
Old 06-20-2016, 11:11 PM

Heres an update. Took the camaro in for scanning. Came back with a m.a.p. error code. Replaced it. Also had an egr 32 code. Took valve off and cleaned it, not the issue. I need to find a vacuum pump thing and further trouble shoot egr. Would an egr malfunction cause my symptoms, the stumbleing or shaking when trying to accelerate under 2000 rpm?
The code 32 i had that a few years ago n mine was the wiring to the evap solenoid,I changed the wiring n my code was cleared
Old 06-21-2016, 08:38 AM
Administrator

The most common cause of DTC 33/34 is the harness connector, not the Map sensor itself. At this age they are dried out and crumbling, resulting in intermittent contact problems. But if I read his post correctly, replacing the MAP sensor eliminated the code. Just keep in mind it may be a connector problem if the code comes back.

The MAP code and the DTC 32 EGR code may be interconnected. The diagnostic for DTC 32 cycles the EGR valve and looks for an expected change in MAP reading. But the diagnostic will not be run if DTC 33 or 34 is set.

EGR functions primarily at low RPM cruise, then lugging the engine and trying to accelerate without downshifting to the correct gear. So yes, lack of EGR flow under those conditions could cause knock retard, which would feel like a loss of power.

But trying to do a heavy accel in O/D, under 2,000 RPM builds high combustion chamber pressures, which stresses the ignition components, and any weakness in the ignition system shows up as a misfire. Something else you need to look at.

Last edited by Injuneer; 06-21-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: stumped