Fuel and Ignition Fuel Pumps and Systems, Ignition and Spark Systems

2 codes related or not

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM

2 codes related or not

i just checked the codes in my camaro, i got 4 codes, 2 of which sounds like they are related, one was po372 distributor ignition high resolution circuit and the other was p1371 distributor ignition low resolution circuit, now are these related to the same problem or what, i would like to ask you guys this before i pull my hair out and go the wrong way with it, the other 2 codes i got was, po140 o2 sensor on driverside after cat, and the other was p1441 EVAP system flow during non-purge, what the hell does that mean, lol, thanks for taking your time and reading this and to you guys that reply, i really thank you
Old 01-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Re: 2 codes related or not

Based on the specific codes you listed, I'm going to assume your Camaro is a 96 or 97 with the LT1 engine. You need to add a "Signature" so people don't have to make guesses to figure out how to help you. Include basic info about your car - year, model, engine, trans and any major mods.

P0372 means the PCM could not find the high resolution pulse signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Optispark distributor. The engine will run with this code, with a minor loss of spark and injector timing accuracy. P1371 means the PCM could not find the low resolution pulse signal from the optical cam position sensor in the Opti.

So - yes, they are related. Is your engine running? If P1371 is active, the PCM shuts down the fuel system, engine will not run. If the engine is running, it's a stored code from a previous problem. Reset the PCM (pull "PCM BAT" fuse for 30 seconds), and see how soon the codes come back. In the meantime, check both ends of the short Opti harness from the gray connector on the passenger side of the intake manifold to the Opti for corrosion or damaged pins.

P0140 = Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) insufficient signal activity Bank 1 Sensor 2. That means the after-cat O2 sensor on the driver's side is dead.

P1441 = Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) system flow during non-purge. That means the vacuum switch for the EVAP system (purges fuel vapor out of the charcoal canister in the driver's rear fender) detected a vacuum when the purge solenoid is supposed to be closed. A common source of this problem is the two lines on the purge solenoid (on bracket on passenger side of intake, same location as the gray connector for the Opti harness) being reversed and hooked to the wrong connections. Shoebox shows you how to hook them up:

http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg

Another possible cause is charcoal caught in the purge solenoid, blocking it open.

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-11-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Why didn't you just continue this thread, rather than starting a new one? At least in that one you said it is a 97.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/fue...ts-too-870831/
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 PM

fred, i'm sorry i did'nt give details on my car, it is a 97 camaro with LT! engine, at one point owner before me had nox's on it but no longer there, it is the 30th edition, aculaly i have owned the car for 4 months and have not been able to drive the car but from Tyler Texas to Breaux Bridge louisiana, and after i got it home i have nothing but problems with this car, i may be asking for help and at the same time very disappointed at the same time, i had a 96 camaro with a 6 cyl engine before and i feel i was happy with it, than this LT!, i am new to this and i do not want to waist money if not needed in this car, hell it cost me a lot of money to buy it and i'm beginning to think it's better in a scrapyard, took the car to a mechanic one time, he told me he could not do anything with it because it is nothing but a quarter mile car, my question to him was then why was i able to drive the car 400 miles home and not have any problems with it? he could not answer that question, the wife and i are very broken hearted because of our first 98 camaro that a young boy who was texting while driving hit us at 55mph and we where at a dead stop and our car was totaled, now we get this LIMON
Old 01-12-2013, 08:37 AM

Fred, you said to unplug a fuse from the PCM, is taking the battery out the same thing, i have cranked on her so much, now i have to replace the battery
Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by cargotec
Fred, you said to unplug a fuse from the PCM, is taking the battery out the same thing, i have cranked on her so much, now i have to replace the battery
That will accomplish the same thing as removing the PCM fuse. It sounds mostly like your optispark (distributor) or the harness to it has a problem. BTW the mechanic you mentioned should be avoided for obvious reasons.

I would not call it a lemon. You bought a car that is not new and had already had a rough life (you mentioned the NOx). You have to expect problems and be able to work on them.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 AM

hey guys. hope ypur day is going good, i removed the battery, hooked it back up, started the car up and as soon as it got a little bit warm it died, i ran a check to pull the codes again, i got po113 and p1371 again, i checked the optic wire harness all looked good by the naked eye, heres another question for you too, when i plug in to read codes, it said i have 3 codes, when i pull up the codes it reads po113 the next one is p1371 and then the next one is p1371 again, why is this, thanks again for your help guys
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM

hey guys, think i got the old girl figured out, i checked the optic plug like you told me, but then i checked the wiring before the gray plug, found the owner before me had wired in another wire running to a relay on the passanger side fender well, i believe they installed that for the nox system, i unplugger the 2 wires going to that solinoid and she started right up and ran for 30 minutes, i cut her off and she started right back up, guys, really, i want to thank each and everyone of you for your help with this problem, i hope i am able to help you in return some day
Old 01-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Sounds like some good trouble shooting - nice work.

P0113 indicates a problem with the inlet air temp sensor. Could be the wire is off the sensor or the sensor is missing.

Now let's work on terminology.... NOx is a pollutant in the exhaust. Nitrous oxide is N2O (never "NOS" - that's a brand name).

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-13-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:59 PM

hey Fred, i told you i was new to this stuff, so excited about the camaro running, only problem is, i can't take her for a test drive, because it is raining outside, i still got the trap door open in the trunk where i cut out to replace the fuel pump, got to get me a piece of tin to cover it, but anyway, as for the terminology, thanks Fred, i will keep that in mind, lol, oh yeah Fred, i noticed that the owner before me had taken the vacuum hose off the EGR and pluged the line, should i be concerned about this

Last edited by cargotec; 01-13-2013 at 02:07 PM.