Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

1995 Z28 M6 New clutch going in

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:51 PM

Question 1995 Z28 M6 New clutch going in

Hi Z28 forums,

I have a slightly bolt-on modded Camaro and the clutch is starting to slip something fierce. This car is driven about 1000 miles per month. I was looking at the Mcleod Super Street Pro kit (75216) and was wondering what people thought of it for $530. I also plan to replace the master cylinder with a Tick and the rear seals after reading some other grief laden threads. Any recommendations?

Should I have a balanced steel flywheel installed or just resurface the stock FW?

I should note I am paying someone to do this job (shopping around the Vancouver, Canada area) since I have neither the space nor the equipment to do the job.

Thanks for any help/comments. I appreciate it.

Edit: After reading through the clutch sticky, 50 more threads and some other research it just leaves me with the same questions. What clutch can I use that is nice and grabby but can tolerate the stop and go traffic of the city?

Edit2: Barring anyone's advice I am going to go ahead and purchase the McLeod SSP and a steel flywheel as the stock has already been resurfaced twice. Found a local LT1 clutch and PCM tuning shop that would install it for 300$ Cad. I read up on different clutches for about 16 hours but can't really find anything concrete about my application hence why I was asking for advice.

Edit 6 years later: I got that McLeod clutch in with a Centerforce 1402 TOB and it worked great. I got over 90,000km on this clutch - and I wasn't particularly nice to it.

Last edited by Serenade251; 07-17-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: reply post didnt get approved and someone asked me a question.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Re: 1995 Z28 M6 New clutch going in

Your stock flywheel is part of the engine balancing, so you need a replacement flywheel with the counterbalance weight on it like the stock one has. Not sure from your post if you realized that.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Your stock flywheel is part of the engine balancing, so you need a replacement flywheel with the counterbalance weight on it like the stock one has. Not sure from your post if you realized that.
You're telling me to remember to have a new flywheel balanced right? I will certainly do so. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Administrator

The new flywheel will not be "balanced". It will have an extra weight added to it to balance the stock LT1 rotating assembly. The LT1 is neutral balanced on the front of the crankshaft and externally balanced by the flywheel or flexplate on the rear of the crank = balance weight on the flywheel.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The new flywheel will not be "balanced". It will have an extra weight added to it to balance the stock LT1 rotating assembly. The LT1 is neutral balanced on the front of the crankshaft and externally balanced by the flywheel or flexplate on the rear of the crank = balance weight on the flywheel.
Thanks for the added details Injuneer - much appreciated. After some thought I can see how grave such an error would have been. I had been under the impression is was removal of material to balance the wheel not adding counterweight to a neutral wheel.

I was thinking of going with this flywheel 460350 and having the mechanic add the proper counterweight. This is from the compatible clutch/flywheel thread.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Serenade251
Thanks for the added details Injuneer - much appreciated. After some thought I can see how grave such an error would have been. I had been under the impression is was removal of material to balance the wheel not adding counterweight to a neutral wheel.
That would be hard to do without taking apart your engine and spinning the crank on the balancing machine. Maybe a guy could balance one flywheel to another, but that is assuming he could remove or add material where it is needed - even if they could do that, it would be expensive. So, for an assembled engine that needs external balancing, you should use one that is made specifically for that engine, and not a generic Chevy one that is the right size and just bolts up.

Last edited by Kevin Blown 95 TA; 01-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:17 PM

OP

McLeod make a good clutch. I have their Street Twin.

Your new FW, assuming it is for the LT1. most likely has a weight on the back that is screwed on. Stock FW has it cast into it. People who have rebuilt motors that are often "internally" balanced would remove that weight so the FW is then "neutral" aka zero balance. You would leave the weight on for your stock motor.

TICK has had very good reviews for those who have used it. I have the Wilwood MC that McLeod sells which is a very nice MC also. You can re-use your slave or buy a new one from most auto part stores. The one I got from O'rielys was exactly the same make as OEM.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM

Hi guys - thanks for the input. The new clutch, Master and Slave as well as a new RMS and short throw shifter are all installed and working perfectly. Clutch is as grabby as I expected and pedal pressure is virtually identical to stock. Little more RPM required in stop and go traffic but 400 miles on it now and it's solid.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Serenade251
Hi Z28 forums,

I have a slightly bolt-on modded Camaro and the clutch is starting to slip something fierce. This car is driven about 1000 miles per month. I was looking at the Mcleod Super Street Pro kit (75216) and was wondering what people thought of it for $530. I also plan to replace the master cylinder with a Tick and the rear seals after reading some other grief laden threads. Any recommendations?

Should I have a balanced steel flywheel installed or just resurface the stock FW?

I should note I am paying someone to do this job (shopping around the Vancouver, Canada area) since I have neither the space nor the equipment to do the job.

Thanks for any help/comments. I appreciate it.

Edit: After reading through the clutch sticky, 50 more threads and some other research it just leaves me with the same questions. What clutch can I use that is nice and grabby but can tolerate the stop and go traffic of the city?

Edit2: Barring anyone's advice I am going to go ahead and purchase the McLeod SSP and a steel flywheel as the stock has already been resurfaced twice. Found a local LT1 clutch and PCM tuning shop that would install it for 300$ Cad. I read up on different clutches for about 16 hours but can't really find anything concrete about my application hence why I was asking for advice.
just wondering what throw out bearing you went with I ordered this kit but mine doesn’t come with the TOB
Old 07-12-2020, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Thread starter hasn’t signed into this site in 6-1/2 years. You could try an email. Click on his screen name, email option on drop-down.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:51 PM

Thread starter hasn’t signed into this site in 6-1/2 years. You could try an email. Click on his screen name, email option on drop-down.
I'm still alive!

Originally Posted by Noah Ryan
just wondering what throw out bearing you went with I ordered this kit but mine doesn’t come with the TOB
Hey man,

I used a Centerforce 1402 in the end. The clutch kit was great and I put about 90,000km on it.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Noah Ryan
I used a centerforce 1402 with this kit and it worked great.

I'm alive!