Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Dilemma- Help me decide!! -3rd Gen Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 11:59 PM

Dilemma- Help me decide!! -3rd Gen Wheels

Hi everyone! My 1st official post, and I'm asking for opinions. I know how the saying goes: Opinions are like...well you know, but I could use help in deciding anyways.

I'm really having a difficult time deciding on which style I should go for. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and tires, but I can't figure out if I should go with the old school 15" skinnies up front and big meats in the rear (inside the panels, kinda the "Pro Street look), or a nice set of staggered 5 spoke 17" wheels with P275/40's all around.

With the 4" cowl hood, I'm kinda leaning towards the drag look - but I like the refined look of the 17's too. I plan on keeping the car at stock height though, and I don't really care about going around twisties real fast. In either case I need more traction. I have pics in "My Garage" if you care to look. So-tell me what you think!!
Old 10-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Not sure if you would consider the C6 wheels, but did you look at the "sticky" showing them on a 3rd Gen?

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=622922
Old 10-25-2010, 05:23 PM

I actually did look at the wheels/car in the thread. Looks sharp! But I would opt for a wheel that has a wider spoke- I don't plan on upgrading to huge brakes, so I would look kinda funky with explorer big drums in back with stock front disc brakes and those C6 wheels I'm afraid.

But I'll chalk up one vote for the "Refined" look!. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Administrator

You don't have to limit yourself to one set.... I have drag wheels and street wheels.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/DCP03466.jpg

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photos/Frt34vwD.jpg
Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 AM

very true you can get two sets... but I would recommend a nice set of 17"s. They make the car look really nice and besides you can always get a second set...... but my opinion go with the nice sleek set of 17s.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the reply mybadd02camaro! I took the liberty of checking out your "Garage"...that Camaro looks like new still! Very nice!

Checked out your links too Injuneer, this board seems to be filled with nice 4th Gens! I never really considered two sets of wheels - I don't really plan on racing the Camaro anyway - maybe take it to the track on a "test-n-tune day" just for giggles...

I guess that's 2 votes for the 17's!

Last edited by 1983Z; 10-26-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 AM

I've also been looking at Vette wheels - they seem to come in 18" and 19" though, and 18" is really as far as I think I would go on a 3rd Gen, but tucking the wheels inside the wells might be a bigger issue.

-Any other votes welcome for either the "Pro Street" or "Old School" 15" wheel look or the more refined 17" plus look.....so far:

"2" Votes for 17" + Refined
"0" votes for 15" Old School

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM

thanks man! actualy just got a dual flowmaster exhaust for it and it will be installed on sat.. will post pics of the back and other parts of the car on sat too..

with the rims...

i find the corevtte rim are the nicest way to go, they look clean and really sleek.... they are sold from gm as staggered BUT you can go to this website and get replica ones that i have heard GREAT reviews about and mix and match meaning you can get 2 17s and 2 18s or you can get all 4 the same size...

good luck here is the link:
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/18-Fits-C...l/rid/130798/4

Old 10-29-2010, 04:34 PM

Yeah, been looking around on that site....the Z06 C6 chrome riveted look pretty nice!! Of course, I'd need serious spacers, and they would show off my stock front disc and rear drum brakes a lot unfortunately...I'll make up my mind very soon...
Old 11-05-2010, 10:10 PM

Re: Dilemma- Help me decide!! -3rd Gen Wheels

Hi, this is where I got my torq thrusts. http://www.elites-wholesale.com The price was hard to beat. One wheel came with a bent lip and they covered shipping and everything to get me a new one. So basically good service with good prices.

I had a buddy with an gunmetal grey ILE Iroc with black trans am GTA honeycombs that looked really good. I don't know if you wanna stay with 16" wheels though.

I think 3rd gens respond well to newer wheels.

I also just stumbled across this wheel thread on thirdgen.org it has some really good ideas you may want to use http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/wh...g-3rd-gen.html

Last edited by Jon_Esslinger; 11-05-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:00 AM

My friend painted the inside of his rims the same color as his car and I think it looks great... and it looks like your car is the same color as his. Here's a pic of his car in case you decide to keep your rims.

Name:  irocand.jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  53.4 KB
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jon_Esslinger
Hi, this is where I got my torq thrusts. http://www.elites-wholesale.com The price was hard to beat. One wheel came with a bent lip and they covered shipping and everything to get me a new one. So basically good service with good prices.

I had a buddy with an gunmetal grey ILE Iroc with black trans am GTA honeycombs that looked really good. I don't know if you wanna stay with 16" wheels though.

I think 3rd gens respond well to newer wheels.

I also just stumbled across this wheel thread on thirdgen.org it has some really good ideas you may want to use http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/wh...g-3rd-gen.html
Jon - I'm actually a long time member of that board and have been looking hard at that very thread! My car originally had/has 15" wheels actually.

dragginS10 - His rims are different than mine. It looks like he has newer 91-92 wheels on his, but it's a nice ride for sure! I've had someone else tell me I should just keep my wheels and blacken them in around the spokes, but mine aren't in pristine shape by any means....they have some curb rash, etc....
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM
ZZ

I was going to go with these for my 88.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=81001

The price is right, and they are made to fit 3rd gens. I ended up with the Weld Draglites from my Chevelle instead.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:31 AM

Personally, I'd go with a set of black ZR-1's with a machined lip, they'd be a nice complement to your hockey stripe you got going up the sides of the car and the lip would set the rims off quite nicely IMO. Your color is classy and low key, and I think that combo would really make it pop. You could go 17x9.5 all the way around if you wanted to keep it even and preserve the ability to rotate. Or if you wanted the best of both worlds, you could go 17x9.5 up front and 17x11 in the rear to give you that drag racing feel while still refining the look of the car. Hope this helps narrow your search. Nice 3rd gen, always good to see one in such nice shape.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 AM

Well, I've decided on a set of 17" American Racing Torq Thrust M Anthracite wheels. I'm trying to figure out what offset/backset I need to mount maybe 255/17's up front and 285/17's on the rear.

Seems they only come in 8", 9" or 10.5" widths.....

Quick Reply: Dilemma- Help me decide!! -3rd Gen Wheels